GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Roush Stage 2 or Full Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/06, 07:08 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have the roush suspension or drive a stage 2 roush? I am really interested in the suspension, but have never met anyone who actually owns one. I read the review in MM&FF a month ago, and that is what got me interested.
Old 1/2/06, 05:53 PM
Bullitt Member

I have it and its amazing.I have lost people trying to keep up with me just by not slowing for turns that require major slowing.the thing is on rails.ride quality is a little worse,but acceptable for my 44 year old butt.only drawback is that the front spoiler is only 6 inches from ground and most parking lot curb blocks will impact it(don't ask how I know).
Old 1/2/06, 05:56 PM
GT Member

That's my next project
Old 1/2/06, 06:59 PM
GT Member

thanks for the feedback...any car you can compare it too? My wife asked me the other night if I had any regrets about the stang, and that is the one thing--overall, honestly, my prior car (an SVT Focus with a blower) was more fun to drive because it handled phenomenally well. So...Roush suspension.
Old 1/3/06, 08:29 AM
Bullitt Member

I have had a '05 stang GT,'03 mach 1,a couple Z28's and the only thing i can compare to the roush stage 2 handling to is one of my few test drives in a C5 Z06.Im sure besides the springs/shocks/swaybar,that the 275 tires on the 18" roush rims help a lot also.
Old 1/3/06, 09:54 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by ZRX4ME@January 3, 2006, 7:32 AM
I have had a '05 stang GT,'03 mach 1,a couple Z28's and the only thing i can compare to the roush stage 2 handling to is one of my few test drives in a C5 Z06.Im sure besides the springs/shocks/swaybar,that the 275 tires on the 18" roush rims help a lot also.
From what I read in MMFF is that it drops the front 1" and the rear only 1/2" . Does the rear still like too high? I would have thought that they would have brought it down a bit more than that. In MMFF they state that the ride is the same as the stock 05GT, what do you think? Give us some details... you're are only source of information so far. It's the kit I'm most interested in so far, mostly because of how well it handeled, and that it's said it still rides like stock. I'm 27 and I think most on here would call me a p***y, but I don't really want to harshen the ride up any more than it is. The other route I was thinking of going was with the Tokiko D-spec shocks.
Old 1/4/06, 09:04 AM
Bullitt Member

On order for me should have it in a few weeks, and installed after the redo. Then I can turn into a certified STG2 yippie...lol
Old 1/18/06, 09:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 05STG1@January 4, 2006, 9:07 AM
On order for me should have it in a few weeks, and installed after the redo. Then I can turn into a certified STG2 yippie...lol
what components come with the complete kit? Are the shock/struts adjustable? man, their website is horrible.
Old 1/18/06, 10:57 PM
Bullitt Member

I wonder if a S197 GT modded with Roush Stage 2 handling could keep up with something like a BMW M3 or a Porsche 911 in the turns? Something tells me it wouldn't do too bad...
Old 1/19/06, 08:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by Fastback65@January 3, 2006, 11:57 PM
From what I read in MMFF is that it drops the front 1" and the rear only 1/2" . Does the rear still like too high? I would have thought that they would have brought it down a bit more than that. In MMFF they state that the ride is the same as the stock 05GT, what do you think? Give us some details... you're are only source of information so far. It's the kit I'm most interested in so far, mostly because of how well it handeled, and that it's said it still rides like stock. I'm 27 and I think most on here would call me a p***y, but I don't really want to harshen the ride up any more than it is. The other route I was thinking of going was with the Tokiko D-spec shocks.

I Installed just the roush rear spirngs to see if I was happy with that, and I am!!! the rear lowers 1" as advertised. The rear is 1/4" higher than the front now. Perfect looking!

Old 1/19/06, 10:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm guessing thats after on top and before on the bottom. With just the rear springs, do you notice any difference in the ride quality? I've been thinking about getting a pair of take-off's and cutting 1 coil off them, but I'm still undecided if I want to go all-out with the suspension.
Old 1/19/06, 11:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Stoenr@January 19, 2006, 8:55 PM
I Installed just the roush rear spirngs to see if I was happy with that, and I am!!! the rear lowers 1" as advertised. The rear is 1/4" higher than the front now. Perfect looking!

looking good!

just out of curiosity, where do they advertise a 1 inch drop? I can't find information anywhere on those springs? Do you know if their front springs drop 1 inch too? thanks
Old 1/19/06, 11:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

1) I'm an MM&FF subscriber and I don't really believe what they write anymore. Sometimes they sound like 16 year old, blue oval fanboys.
2) Stoenr, those pics are deceiving! The first pic looks *awesome*, but in the second pic, the rear gap between the wheel well and the wheel/tire looks pretty pronounced.
3) Jerrod, I'm 25 and a previous owner of a slammed Prelude Type SH. I'll sooner die than drive another car like that (heh, I'm talking about the suspension). Honestly, I don't give a rat's hiney about performance. I want some springs that will reduce the gap between the wheels/tires and the wheel well, while not sacrificing ride quality.
Old 1/20/06, 05:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Stoenr@January 19, 2006, 9:55 PM

That looks good, that's the first one I've seen with just the rear lowered. Nice!

How's the handling? Ride?
Old 1/20/06, 08:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Fastback65@January 3, 2006, 10:57 PM

The ride is not bad,but a little harsher than a stock GT.mostly on bumps and road imperfections.The tires are so wide that you get a little wandering on grooves.Ride hight seems about perfect to me.I will enclose a pic to show that.Honestly,the roush stage 2 is so much fun to drive handling wise,that im debating wether to trade when my shelby cobra comes in.I really don't think the shelby will handle this well.If only the shelby did not have that monster motor.The roush stage 2 is just a stock GT motor wise.I may go stage 3 if this car is kept,then it would be perfect.I would say that this car would outhandle anything short of a Z06.
Old 1/20/06, 09:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by ZRX4ME@January 20, 2006, 9:22 AM
The ride is not bad,but a little harsher than a stock GT.mostly on bumps and road imperfections.The tires are so wide that you get a little wandering on grooves.Ride hight seems about perfect to me.I will enclose a pic to show that.Honestly,the roush stage 2 is so much fun to drive handling wise,that im debating wether to trade when my shelby cobra comes in.I really don't think the shelby will handle this well.If only the shelby did not have that monster motor.The roush stage 2 is just a stock GT motor wise.I may go stage 3 if this car is kept,then it would be perfect.I would say that this car would outhandle anything short of a Z06.

As much I would like to believe that I seriously doubt the Roush Stage 2 outhandles every car except a Z06...
Old 1/20/06, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by clockworks@January 19, 2006, 10:53 PM
2) Stoenr, those pics are deceiving! The first pic looks *awesome*, but in the second pic, the rear gap between the wheel well and the wheel/tire looks pretty pronounced.
I could be wrong, but I think the lower pic was the "before" shot, and the upper pic was the "after".
Old 1/20/06, 11:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Calvin, I bought them from stage3 motorsports, looks as if I got the last set of rears, I dont see them on the site. but thier front ones are there, and have the same advertisement, 1" drop to the front.
Stage3

Chris I agree, a little deceiving. But a subsantial difference in the way it looks.

Brad, I can tell an ever so slight change in ride, handling I havent really had a chance to push it, normal driving cant tell a difference. I dont want to push the stang on my snow tires, I want them to last as long as possible.

Don is right, the top picture is the after, I wasnt thinking when I edited the picture to put the before on top.
Old 1/20/06, 11:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by clockworks@January 19, 2006, 11:53 PM
I want some springs that will reduce the gap between the wheels/tires and the wheel well, while not sacrificing ride quality.
that's what I'm after, too. I'm leaning toward the roush set because most others drop the rear more than the front, and I don't want to sacrifice any of the forward leaning look of the s197. I've heard good things about Tokico adjustable shocks/struts with lowered vehicle. Apparently they can make the ride soft or harsh as desired.
Old 1/20/06, 11:33 AM
GT Member

Talking

Originally posted by Nick85@January 20, 2006, 10:14 AM
As much I would like to believe that I seriously doubt the Roush Stage 2 outhandles every car except a Z06...
I guess that would depend on what you put on that list.
The Stage 2 suspension will signifcantly enhance the cornering ability of any mustang over stock.

Quick Reply: Roush Stage 2 or Full Suspension?