7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Rotorpros, R1 Rotors or other?

Search this Thread

Old 11/16/07, 09:15 AM
Authorized Advertiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisc9867
Alright, well what are the benefits of your 2 piece pillar vane cross drilled and slotted rotors, over other higher end rotors, such as DBA's? As I understood from your site, it is $1039 for just the front two, which is basicall double that of DBA.

Just so there is no misunderstanding - these ARE DBA rotors. As for the $1039 rotors - thats a reasonable price for a set of 2 piece rotors.
Old 11/16/07, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Hmm I see, so I assume they are DBA's 5000 series. What is the benefit to the 2 peice rotor? Is it in weight savings? I am looking to lose weight off my rotating parts, so I am pretty interested in these if they can help. I cant find any weight specs on them anywhere.

Thanks!
Old 11/17/07, 10:16 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
IIRC on average a set of 2 piece rotors will save you 3.5 lbs a wheel.

Weight savings and the rotors are less prone to warp due to heat related stress. 1 piece rotors are more prone to warping due to the differing thicknesses found in the rotor.

The nice thing about a 2 piece rotor (when your going to larger brakes) is the effect on unsprung weight. It minimizes the weight gain - is close to or mass neutral - or lighter than the original brakes, all of which helps to maintain or improve handling or minimize the negative effect.

Fat brakes along with big rims can be detriment to handling if they are significantly heavier than the items they replace and no attempt is made to modify the other suspension components (springs, shocks, struts, ect) in order to counter the effect of the heavier equipment.

Lol if you want to round out the weight savings, check out a set of Dymag wheels.
Old 11/19/07, 09:05 AM
Authorized Advertiser

Originally Posted by bob
IIRC on average a set of 2 piece rotors will save you 3.5 lbs a wheel.

Weight savings and the rotors are less prone to warp due to heat related stress. 1 piece rotors are more prone to warping due to the differing thicknesses found in the rotor.

The nice thing about a 2 piece rotor (when your going to larger brakes) is the effect on unsprung weight. It minimizes the weight gain - is close to or mass neutral - or lighter than the original brakes, all of which helps to maintain or improve handling or minimize the negative effect.

Fat brakes along with big rims can be detriment to handling if they are significantly heavier than the items they replace and no attempt is made to modify the other suspension components (springs, shocks, struts, ect) in order to counter the effect of the heavier equipment.

Lol if you want to round out the weight savings, check out a set of Dymag wheels.

Hey there,

Excellent post. To add to the unsprung weight discussion, when it comes to acceleration, for every pound of rotating weight (wheels, brakes, etc) you remove from your car, its equivalent to removing two pounds of weight from the weight of the car. Lighter weight brakes and lighter wheels can make a significant difference in acceleration.

Page
Old 11/20/07, 06:47 AM
Cobra Member

i got the 4 piston ap racing from stillen. awesome brakes!! too bad it requires the right wheel to fit.

as for stock size...2 piece DBA are the BEST out there....

stillen provided me excellent service!
Old 11/20/07, 08:41 AM
Authorized Advertiser

Originally Posted by YaoNYC
i got the 4 piston ap racing from stillen. awesome brakes!! too bad it requires the right wheel to fit.

as for stock size...2 piece DBA are the BEST out there....

stillen provided me excellent service!
Hey there,

Thanks for the kudos on the AP Brakes. Brake fitment is something that you need to be concerned with any time you do a brake kit upgrade - no matter whose kit it is. There is always a possibility for caliper/wheel contact. Always better to check ahead of time. We provide a brake fitment guide to help assess the situation.

We also sell DBA here

Let me know if I can be of any help - here to help in any way I can.

Thanks

Page
Old 11/25/07, 07:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Anyone have any experiences with Rotorpros painted hubs? How do they hold up?
Old 11/25/07, 09:27 PM
V6 Member

So If I ordered a set of 4 drilled and slotted zinc plated rotors for my 07 GT with low dust pads from Rotorpros, did I do the right thing with the right company. I believe so. Input please.
Old 11/25/07, 09:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes you did the right thing.

Richard
Old 11/26/07, 05:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by TASSY5
So If I ordered a set of 4 drilled and slotted zinc plated rotors for my 07 GT with low dust pads from Rotorpros, did I do the right thing with the right company. I believe so. Input please.
I know its who I'll be buying from shortly.
Old 11/26/07, 07:55 AM
GTR Member

I sent the guy from R1 a PM like he said if I wanted a" deal that I couldn't refuse" over 10 days ago but he never replied so I guess he doesn't need the business that bad. I have till the end of the week to get the Rotorpros deal for 220 so thats what I'm gonna do Sorry,I sent it 8 days ago.
Old 11/26/07, 08:53 AM
V6 Member

Question

Originally Posted by Boltzman
I sent the guy from R1 a PM like he said if I wanted a" deal that I couldn't refuse" over 10 days ago but he never replied so I guess he doesn't need the business that bad. I have till the end of the week to get the Rotorpros deal for 220 so thats what I'm gonna do Sorry,I sent it 8 days ago.
DEAL<< Hmmm I paid $320 fro the drilled and slotted rotors with pads.
$220 seams like a deal to me. I wonder why they charged me $320 over your $220.
Old 11/26/07, 10:55 AM
GTR Member

DEAL<< Hmmm I paid $320 fro the drilled and slotted rotors with pads.
$220 seams like a deal to me. I wonder why they charged me $320 over your $220.
He said it was for TMS members. Seeing that you are a noob,maybe you were not included Also I'm not getting pads
Old 11/26/07, 02:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
He said it was for TMS members. Seeing that you are a noob,maybe you were not included Also I'm not getting pads
The pads are around $65. $330 is a good price from them for all 4 rotors and pads. I bought mine with pads a few months ago for a similar price and I have been around TMS for a while.
Old 11/26/07, 02:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Keeping stock pads? I heard our pads were ceramic and that Rich said it would be better not to use ceramic with the rotors. Of course I know a few poeple here are still running stock pads. What are the life on our pads? Maybe i can save a buck and keep stock for now.

About the high temp paint thing to prevent rust. How exactly did those of you who did it go about doing it? (confusing sentence hah)

EDIT: I imagine that the $70 for centri pads is for all for corners?
Old 11/27/07, 04:22 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
Keeping stock pads? I heard our pads were ceramic and that Rich said it would be better not to use ceramic with the rotors. Of course I know a few poeple here are still running stock pads. What are the life on our pads? Maybe i can save a buck and keep stock for now.

About the high temp paint thing to prevent rust. How exactly did those of you who did it go about doing it? (confusing sentence hah)

I'm gonna use stock pads.I don't drive hard or that much. Paint whole rotor clear high temp and drive around when it's dried to remove paint on flat rotor surface. Posi price is for all 4 corners
Old 11/27/07, 08:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well I just placed my order for rotors cross/drilled and centri pads.
Old 11/27/07, 11:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JonCo

ceramic pads wear the rotors a little faster, my stock pads made it 5 laps at the track and fell apart.

if you paint the rotors,buff them with a 3m pad on your angle grinder before you install them on the car that way you wont contaminate the pads with paint

jay
Old 11/28/07, 08:38 AM
V6 Member

Do you need to paint the Zinc plated rotors???

Or Clear Them???
Old 11/28/07, 11:17 AM
GTR Member

Do you need to paint the Zinc plated rotors???

Or Clear Them???
There is a high temp clear available or you can paint them another high temp color to avoid rusting. The zinc ones will rust in the holes and slots unless they are the painted ones you buy. The painted ones you buy are just painted on the hubs I believe but I could be wrong

Quick Reply: Rotorpros, R1 Rotors or other?