GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

roots s/c question

Search this Thread

Old 4/24/06, 11:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought of doing that..... but there isnt much room if you are keeping cats too. I thought about cutouts then highflow cats, then out to the SLP. cut outs make more sense in your situation tho where there are no cats, but there are mufflers.

I am thinking of making a custom midpipe that I can clamp cat on to, or clamp in straight legs..... and keep the SLP.
Old 4/25/06, 01:30 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ April 25, 2006, 12:31 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Semi-custom. I actually ordered a set of FlowTech Y-pipes, but they wont work the way I want them too. So, I'm going to have Y welded in to fit best. Then I bought the electric cutout gates, and I have a switch on the dash to open/shut them in like 3 seconds. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

so your putting the cutouts after the cats?
Old 4/25/06, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rrobello @ April 25, 2006, 12:33 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
so your putting the cutouts after the cats?
[/b][/quote]

In theory, yes... somewhere along the X-pipe.
Old 4/25/06, 09:13 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ April 25, 2006, 9:52 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
In theory, yes... somewhere along the X-pipe.
[/b][/quote]

do you happen to know if they make cutouts for before the cats?
Old 4/25/06, 09:22 AM

No one "makes" cutouts specifically to fit these cars. No matter what you do, you'll need to get something fabbed up.
Old 4/25/06, 12:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

and thats my problem, If I am going to get cutouts, I want them straight off the headers..... and there is no way in heck to put them there, there is just not enough room, which is why I 86ed the idea last year when I first thought of it.

The way I see it, cutouts are best when there are no cats and real mufflers out back. You put the cutouts where the cats should be, and then you can go from wide open to mufflers. But here in CA, I am afraid of going with no cats at all, becuase if i get pulled over, and the cop smells it, he would have to be a total dippoo to not know there were no cats. So I am going to get some VERY SMALL high flow cats, just to kill the smell I love so much, and hopefully keep me out of trouble.
Old 4/26/06, 09:00 AM
GT Member

I was just at the GTR Performance show out here in LA Basin, and a number of people had exaust that had 3 optional sounds at a click of a botton, level one was same as stock but a hair louder and deeper, the second was louder more street aggressive with throat and rattle, and the third was clearly show sound for the track, which was race car, performance loud, like you were about to launch with Buck Rodgers. I had no idea you could alter the sound with simple switching ports. Amazing. Erik

I forgot to mention, that I have a stock exhaust with the Saleen SC @5psi 435hp still, and I was told at the Saleen plant floor where I took my car for the surgery, that back pressure from stock actually is a better marrige with superchargers as far as retaining 100% psi efficiency. You lose power when your supercharged, and you use underdrive pulleys, and free up the exhaust. It's the opposite with non supercharged cars, then underdrive pulleys and exhaust increase hp acceleration. Erik
Old 4/26/06, 09:00 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(erik42 @ April 26, 2006, 9:57 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I was just at the GTR Performance show out here in LA Basin, and a number of people had exaust that had 3 optional sounds at a click of a botton, level one was same as stock but a hair louder and deeper, the second was louder more street aggressive with throat and rattle, and the third was clearly show sound for the track, which was race car, performance loud, like you were about to launch with Buck Rodgers. I had no idea you could alter the sound with simple switching ports. Amazing. Erik
[/b][/quote]

any idea on how they were doing this?
Old 4/26/06, 09:07 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There was an article I read a while back on a Viper that had this done with around 10 settings from stock-1 to Wake the Neighbours-10

It had to do with a series of valves being open in the muffler to alter the sound and volume.
10 I'm assuming was straight through.

I know some mustang guys have done this before with a dump switch.
The dumps were just before the mufflers on the SN95 platform, so they litterally came out of the cats and to the open air, or with the switch closed, they would go through the rest of the exhaust and mufflers.
Old 4/26/06, 09:25 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boomer @ April 26, 2006, 8:10 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I know some mustang guys have done this before with a dump switch.
The dumps were just before the mufflers on the SN95 platform, so they litterally came out of the cats and to the open air, or with the switch closed, they would go through the rest of the exhaust and mufflers.
[/b][/quote]

That is what I'm doing basically. Weld in a Y-pipe (as close to the headers as possible), add the electric gates, and put a switch in the car. I already have it all wired up and the switch installed in the dash, but I can't install the exhaust until the motor goes back in. Locating the Y-pipe will be critical... I need to make sure I don't have any interference from other parts of the car, and I don't want them hanging too low and getting whacked by a curb or speed bump.

Old 4/26/06, 09:37 AM
GT Member

The man I met gave me the info on his shop. I will speak with him and get the details and pass his number along. He had a lot of custom things that I wasn't aware of, and he seemed to know in great detail for everything to do with the 05 Mustang GT. I'll call today.
Old 4/26/06, 10:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

awesome, I am ordering my cams tomorrow from doug, so I would love to hear of an easy way to go wide open on the exhaust.