GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Roll Bar finally installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/07, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks all!

Originally Posted by ken3030
Don I love the way it is mounted in the trunk takes up very little room.
I really like that too.

The other little detail he did was to run the rear bars between the seat back and the side trim. So nothing back there was cut to let the bar pass through to the trunk. And I can still fold the seats down if I need to.

Old 6/26/07, 02:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So maybe I missed it Don. With the new RB what pulley are you going to up the beast to?? Can you get it into the high 6's?
Scott
Old 6/26/07, 03:14 PM

I'm going to stick with the 12psi pulley for now... at least until I upgrade the fuel system. I'm still running the stock fuel pump and a BAP at this point.

To be honest, my crappy torque converter is what is holding me back the most at the moment. That has to be replaced next (it's in line... before the fuel system). I'm hoping to get a new PI triple sometime in July. Once that's done, I'm pretty sure we'll see some 6's without upping the boost. In fact, I have a personal mission to run in the 6's in the 1/8 (and get a 10sec 1/4-mile timeslip) on 12psi.
Old 6/26/07, 03:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by don_w
I'm going to stick with the 12psi pulley for now... at least until I upgrade the fuel system. I'm still running the stock fuel pump and a BAP at this point.

To be honest, my crappy torque converter is what is holding me back the most at the moment. That has to be replaced next (it's in line... before the fuel system). I'm hoping to get a new PI triple sometime in July. Once that's done, I'm pretty sure we'll see some 6's without upping the boost. In fact, I have a personal mission to run in the 6's in the 1/8 (and get a 10sec 1/4-mile timeslip) on 12psi.

Go get'em Don. I hope your right!! I'll be watching!!
Scott
Old 6/26/07, 08:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don

That looks like a great set up. Is that custom made or a kit?
Old 6/26/07, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by RadBOSS
Don

That looks like a great set up. Is that custom made or a kit?
It's all custom built.
Old 6/27/07, 04:02 PM
Cobra Member

The total cost was $1910. It is $1250 for the cage (in mild steel) with one swingout. Add $200 for the second swingout, and another $300 to upgrade to chromoly. The harness and padding was another $160.
Holy crap - mild steel?!?! Bar looks good. I'd suggest a diagonal to add strength from side loading in the event of a barrell roll. You'll be OK without it (vs. no bar) for a revolution or two, but beyond that you want the extra bracing. Just my opinion of course, but it's based on quite a few years on road courses...I've seen it all. Might be overkill for the 1/4, but it's worth it's weight in gold if you end up on your lid.
Old 6/27/07, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by RobK
Holy crap - mild steel?!?! Bar looks good. I'd suggest a diagonal to add strength from side loading in the event of a barrell roll. You'll be OK without it (vs. no bar) for a revolution or two, but beyond that you want the extra bracing. Just my opinion of course, but it's based on quite a few years on road courses...I've seen it all. Might be overkill for the 1/4, but it's worth it's weight in gold if you end up on your lid.
Actually, it's chromoly, not mild steel. I'm sure road courses have their own set of safety rules, but the design of this one already goes above and beyond the NHRA safety specs for cars running 10.00 and higher.
Old 6/27/07, 04:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Kick butt job. Where did you get the seat belts from and how did you bypass the dinging of the seat belt??
Old 6/27/07, 05:00 PM
Cobra Member

Actually, it's chromoly, not mild steel. I'm sure road courses have their own set of safety rules, but the design of this one already goes above and beyond the NHRA safety specs for cars running 10.00 and higher.
No, my comment was that I can't believe they would even OFFER a mild steel bar. I wasn't referring to sanctioning body rules, just best practice based on the carnage I've seen over the years. You'd be amazed how much a bar will bend. I'm an engineer...what can I say? I love a safety factor stacked in my favor. As stated, just my .02. If you're comfortable with it, then you've got a great bar!
Old 6/27/07, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by traffic142
Kick butt job. Where did you get the seat belts from and how did you bypass the dinging of the seat belt??
The harness is SFI approved and made by Crow. The cage installer got it for me.

The seat belt dinger is an unresolved issue. It bugged the crap outta me at the track last week. Just about the time I'd be trying to stage and concentrate on the tree... ding, ding, ding, ding, ding.... aaaaahhhhhhhh. I'm going to try and loop it behind the drivers seat and snap it in for this weekend. Hopefully that will work temporarily. However, if anyone knows how to permanently disable that thing, please let me know.
Old 6/27/07, 05:36 PM

No, my comment was that I can't believe they would even OFFER a mild steel bar.
They offer it because NHRA allows it. Obviously, the wall thickness has to be more than the chromoly, though.
Old 6/27/07, 05:42 PM

The harness is SFI approved and made by Crow. The cage installer got it for me.

The seat belt dinger is an unresolved issue. It bugged the crap outta me at the track last week. Just about the time I'd be trying to stage and concentrate on the tree... ding, ding, ding, ding, ding.... aaaaahhhhhhhh. I'm going to try and loop it behind the drivers seat and snap it in for this weekend. Hopefully that will work temporarily. However, if anyone knows how to permanently disable that thing, please let me know.
This worked for me when I wanted the car running while setting up the stereo.
1. turn the key to the "on" position. do not start your car.
2. wait approx. 1 minute for the "fasten seatbelt" signal to turn off on the dash.
3. while sitting in the seat, buckle and unbuckle the seatbelt 9 times. the "fasten seatbelt" signal should start flashing.
4. while the "fasten seatbelt" signal is flashing, buckle and unbuckle 1 time.

this will turn off the seatbelt reminder for that seat. you have to repeat for the other seat. the car will not "reset" and remind you the next time you get in the car.
if you want a one time reminder, just buckle and unbuckle the seatbelt once when you get in the car.
Old 6/27/07, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Grinder911
This worked for me when I wanted the car running while setting up the stereo.
1. turn the key to the "on" position. do not start your car.
2. wait approx. 1 minute for the "fasten seatbelt" signal to turn off on the dash.
3. while sitting in the seat, buckle and unbuckle the seatbelt 9 times. the "fasten seatbelt" signal should start flashing.
4. while the "fasten seatbelt" signal is flashing, buckle and unbuckle 1 time.

this will turn off the seatbelt reminder for that seat. you have to repeat for the other seat. the car will not "reset" and remind you the next time you get in the car.
if you want a one time reminder, just buckle and unbuckle the seatbelt once when you get in the car.
LOL... that sounds just goofy enough to actually work. I'll try it tonight... thanks.

At least you didn't say to flap my arms and cluck like a chicken. hehe
Old 6/27/07, 10:01 PM
Cobra Member

No, my comment was that I can't believe they would even OFFER a mild steel bar. I wasn't referring to sanctioning body rules, just best practice based on the carnage I've seen over the years. You'd be amazed how much a bar will bend. I'm an engineer...what can I say? I love a safety factor stacked in my favor. As stated, just my .02. If you're comfortable with it, then you've got a great bar!
Actually mild steel (AISI 1020) is really a better choice for tubular chassis, roll bars or cages for the following reasons

- its easier to weld (no pre or post heattreat )
- easier to work with (cutting, bending, drilling)
- less prone to cracking due to improper weld or lack of post weld heattreat of 4130
- more ductile and will bend more w/o breaking, hence can absorb more energy
- comparable strength with slightly larger wall thickness
- easier to form, 4130 requires stress relief after forming
- significantly more expensive than mild steel

See metal Fabricators handbook by Ron Fournier