GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Resonable big brake kit

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/10, 04:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goldhillstang
I've read the 18" fan blades clear the GT500 brakes.
Clears with spacers, but not by themselves.

There's clearly people here with tons of money to waste, why pay over a grand for something that can be had between $500-700 on ebay or forums!? Blows my mind...

Last edited by rony1976; 3/1/10 at 04:08 PM.
Old 3/1/10, 06:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rony1976

There's clearly people here with tons of money to waste, why pay over a grand for something that can be had between $500-700 on ebay or forums!? Blows my mind...
Ok lets see here, the e-bay kits are going between 600-700bux, then the SS lines go for another 200bux, then you still need the rear pads and lets say they are cheep @50 bux or so.

The whole kit is 950bux NEW, so for a USED set your paying 850bux on the low side and 950bux on the high side. I don't know about you but it does not seem smart to me.....Especially when dealing with one of the most important components of the car. You can argue that the used set is just as good, but there is no grantee that when removed the USED set had the lines pluged up as to not collect crap from the shop floor. Or as a matter of fact, simple blemishes such as paint would also be possible. So for 100bux more ill sleep better at nite. Penny smart dollar foolish comes to mind.
Old 3/1/10, 10:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Per the Ford racing catalog the fanblades clear the M-2300-S brake kits. There is no mention of needing a spacer. Unless Ford is wrong about their own kits or it's a misprint
Originally Posted by jaguarking11
Ok lets see here, the e-bay kits are going between 600-700bux, then the SS lines go for another 200bux, then you still need the rear pads and lets say they are cheep @50 bux or so.

The whole kit is 950bux NEW, so for a USED set your paying 850bux on the low side and 950bux on the high side. I don't know about you but it does not seem smart to me.....Especially when dealing with one of the most important components of the car. You can argue that the used set is just as good, but there is no grantee that when removed the USED set had the lines pluged up as to not collect crap from the shop floor. Or as a matter of fact, simple blemishes such as paint would also be possible. So for 100bux more ill sleep better at nite. Penny smart dollar foolish comes to mind.
I agree completely
Old 3/1/10, 11:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Well there is a set of brembos on the way to my house now. For a tick less than a grand a nice ford racing kit is on the way.

Wish me luck.

Out of curiosity, what should a shop charge to install this kit? Full steel braided lines on all 4 corners + rear pads and front caliper + dust sheild + rotor.

I may reconsider doing it myself, and using this as an excuse to get one of those fancy presurised power bleeder systems.
Old 3/2/10, 12:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well there is a set of brembos on the way to my house now. For a tick less than a grand a nice ford racing kit is on the way.

Wish me luck.

Out of curiosity, what should a shop charge to install this kit? Full steel braided lines on all 4 corners + rear pads and front caliper + dust sheild + rotor.

I may reconsider doing it myself, and using this as an excuse to get one of those fancy presurised power bleeder systems.
Could be done in around 2 hours with a lift. I think I did the whole thing in 3 hours in my garage, working at a relatively moderate pace, although I didn't install the rear pads, that would have taken at least another hour due to the PITA rear caliper retraction method.
Powerbleeder would be good, otherwise, use speedbleeders (I prefer the Russell brand), 10x1.0mm fitment. Can order these from Summit.
Old 3/2/10, 08:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck on the install!!!. I would do it myself it's not a difficult job. I haven't seen a "professional" mechanic yet that can do a better job or take the care I do with my car. If you have someone to push the brake pedal you don't even need a speed/power bleeder. 06GT is right on the timeframe. Last time I did it on another car it took me longer because my rotors were "frozen" to the hub and then I got sidetracked painting the calipers,lol. Be sure to post some pics after the install. I plan on doing this soon myself. I just received the GT500 wheels I posted a link to above and now I'm waiting on my tires from Discount.
Old 3/2/10, 09:22 AM

If the rotors are "frozen" to the hub by rust (or whatever), remove the caliper and put 2 lugnuts back on loosely...then hit the rotor at the edge with a 4lb sledge to break it loose.
Old 3/2/10, 09:45 AM
Cobra Member

In my situation, since I wasn't in a hurry, I got all I needed at a slow pace. I tried to be dollar smart (not penny smart), and here's what I got:

- BFG SS Lines $150
- FRPP brake cooling kit with dust shields $150
- Brembo take offs $500
- Hawk Ceramic pads F/R $130
- Cross/Drilled front and rear rotors: $160

Total: =~$1,100

I understand not everyone has my patience and my shallow pockets . Just letting people know that if they look around, they can get MUCH MORE for the same amount of money. That's my contribution.

4 pistons with no miles or 400 miles, same piece of mind when sleeping at night!
Old 6/20/10, 12:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Well buyfordracing.com returned my money and canceled my order. I called and they told me they had none in stock. Asked if they were going to restock and they said a couple of weeks. That never happened. So I bought the brakes from latemodelrestoratin.com. They were about 1165 shipped and I picked up a fender cover for 14bux, its a nice piece too.

I was waiting on the brakes for a while and my father borrowed my car and I believe he drove with the parking brake up or slightly up. The result was warped rotors and pads that were ground to metal. I bought two brand new rear rotors and 6 bottles of regular ford brake fluid as well @5bux a pop. So I figured I might as well buy the big brake kit and do them all at the same time. I just installed them today and did a bed in. I used 4bottles of the fluid to completely flush out my brake system. I bought 4 speed bleeders but the front brembo calipers need 4 bleeders by themselves and they didn't have any more in stock at the local store.

First impressions, good lord the brakes are HUGE. They are heavy but it does not effect the car as far as I can tell. I am not going to find out how much it effects the car until I drive about 500miles on them then I am going for a spirited drive. In the meantime, I am going to pick up two more speed bleeders at another store and and complete the job as well as paint the rear caliper black & do a post bleed. The front calipers only have 2 speed bleeders, one on the outer part in each and the regular bleeders on the inside.

Took me about 4 hours to do, I took my time and inspected and cleaned the rear calipers. The more I bed them in the harder they seem to grip. The braking is very linear as you can push it to just before the abs kicks in and modulate properly. The goodridge lines themselves seem like they are good quality. The front brackets have holes that are a hair too small for the brake line termination and I had to basically use pliers to push them in and put on the c-clip.

So far so good. Lets see from here on.
Old 6/20/10, 12:22 AM
Bullitt Member

In my situation, since I wasn't in a hurry, I got all I needed at a slow pace. I tried to be dollar smart (not penny smart), and here's what I got:

- BFG SS Lines $150
- FRPP brake cooling kit with dust shields $150
- Brembo take offs $500
- Hawk Ceramic pads F/R $130
- Cross/Drilled front and rear rotors: $160

Total: =~$1,100

I understand not everyone has my patience and my shallow pockets . Just letting people know that if they look around, they can get MUCH MORE for the same amount of money. That's my contribution.

4 pistons with no miles or 400 miles, same piece of mind when sleeping at night!
Thats a great deal right there to be honest. My tally is a follows.

1165 - brake kit
140 - the rear rotors
30 - brake fluid
20 - speed bleeders.
4 - tubing for drainage
= 1359

Left to buy.

150 - cooling duckts
10 - 2 more speed bleeders

another 160bux more.

I didnt do too bad on this either. But your way ahead of the game. Kudos.
Old 6/20/10, 10:18 AM

Well buyfordracing.com returned my money and canceled my order. I called and they told me they had none in stock. Asked if they were going to restock and they said a couple of weeks. That never happened. So I bought the brakes from latemodelrestoratin.com. They were about 1165 shipped and I picked up a fender cover for 14bux, its a nice piece too.

I was waiting on the brakes for a while and my father borrowed my car and I believe he drove with the parking brake up or slightly up. The result was warped rotors and pads that were ground to metal. I bought two brand new rear rotors and 6 bottles of regular ford brake fluid as well @5bux a pop. So I figured I might as well buy the big brake kit and do them all at the same time. I just installed them today and did a bed in. I used 4bottles of the fluid to completely flush out my brake system. I bought 4 speed bleeders but the front brembo calipers need 4 bleeders by themselves and they didn't have any more in stock at the local store.

First impressions, good lord the brakes are HUGE. They are heavy but it does not effect the car as far as I can tell. I am not going to find out how much it effects the car until I drive about 500miles on them then I am going for a spirited drive. In the meantime, I am going to pick up two more speed bleeders at another store and and complete the job as well as paint the rear caliper black & do a post bleed. The front calipers only have 2 speed bleeders, one on the outer part in each and the regular bleeders on the inside.

Took me about 4 hours to do, I took my time and inspected and cleaned the rear calipers. The more I bed them in the harder they seem to grip. The braking is very linear as you can push it to just before the abs kicks in and modulate properly. The goodridge lines themselves seem like they are good quality. The front brackets have holes that are a hair too small for the brake line termination and I had to basically use pliers to push them in and put on the c-clip.

So far so good. Lets see from here on.
Sorry to hear about your debacle!

The Brembo pads that come w/ the kit are nothing to write home about, and pads make the biggest difference in the performance of the brake system. But with the Brembo calipers, you are open to a MUCH wider variety of pads to use.

Try Hawk HPS next, for street use!
Old 6/20/10, 01:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
Sorry to hear about your debacle!

The Brembo pads that come w/ the kit are nothing to write home about, and pads make the biggest difference in the performance of the brake system. But with the Brembo calipers, you are open to a MUCH wider variety of pads to use.

Try Hawk HPS next, for street use!
For now im going to play with the kit as is, next Im going to experiment with different pad compounds.
Old 6/21/10, 06:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
great info in here! Thanks
Old 7/15/10, 09:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Professionally installed = having your girlfriend pump the brakes as you bleed each line and then having her fetch you a cold beer and a sammich.
Old 7/15/10, 11:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06GTwJUICE
Professionally installed = having your girlfriend pump the brakes as you bleed each line and then having her fetch you a cold beer and a sammich.
Well I didnt have my girl handy for this particular job. In any case, my firends came in to lend a hand, or should I say leg.

Just an update on the brakes. The pads are fully seated, and good lord do they dust like a mother under hard driving. I have dark chrome wheels and it makes them look like flat black wheels in no time flat. The dust seems to have some sort of ferrus metal or ferrus compund in it as it starts turning brown quick. The rear pad composition seems to be the same or olmost the same as the fronts. So plenty of dust there too. I am going to start looking for new pad composition in the next few months and when I have funds try them out.

FYI, the regular ford dot 3 fluid I refered to before it the ford hd stuff with 500F boling point. Not a bad deal.