GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Reputable builders in the South Jersey area

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/09, 06:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hey Al,
Why do you think the 35 degree air temps and the 1/4 tank of gas was an issue? I know running up against the limiter is not the best thing to do because that is where they tend to run lean. But I also don't see in your signature where you were running a KB boost-a-pump or GT500 pumps for extra fuel. If that is the case are you going to address that with your new setup? I have done the same thing to a 96 Cobra with a KB supercharger back in 99'. Took it to the strip and ran it to 7500 rpm shift points. Bad decision on my part. It only took 12.7 seconds and one pass to crush 5 pistons and put 2 rods thru that $2000 Teskid block. These engines need lots of fuel at WOT. If anything err on the rich side for safety. That bit of stupidity cost me $6500 for a stock short block back then. Didn't had all of the forged options like today.
No Scott, I was not running anything other than the stock fuel pump. And absolutely, I will be adding the GT500 fuel pumps this go round! lol Like you , I have learned an expensive lesson here...

As for the fuel, just about all of the builders and shops I spoke with suggested that running WOT to the limiter is not a good idea with anything less than 1/2 tank of gas.

Either way, the results are simple. The engine was starved for fuel, just like you suggested Scott, very similar to your past experience I would imagine, and including a new duel fuel pump system as well as an wideband A/F gauge are most definately part of my new build.

As for the block itself, I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Dave over at Brenspeed yesterday afternoon, annd while it may hurt a bit more that it already does financially, he made some excellent points about the Saleen stroker that has me seriosly considering that option.
Old 1/7/09, 06:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

wow al, I thought you were running the GT500 fuel pump. sorry to hear, so the car was running dangerously lean at WOT.
Old 1/7/09, 06:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yea, and it didn't help that I drove it like I stole it! lol Sucks now, but I'll be happy in the long run with the new forged stroker under the Saleen! lmao
Old 1/7/09, 07:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

yup, and you can finally get those blower cams ya always wanted, smaller pulley and be faster than me. *jealous*

Last edited by MaverickMLFD371; 1/7/09 at 07:45 AM.
Old 1/7/09, 08:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MaverickMLFD371
yup, and you can finally get those blower cams ya always wanted, smaller pulley and be faster than me. *jealous*
Yea, there are alot of options opened up now, but TBH, just getting her back on the road will be enough... for now anyway! lmao
Old 1/7/09, 09:48 PM
Former Vendor

*waves hello*

Al, give me a call!!
Old 1/7/09, 10:26 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Originally Posted by Torrence
May I ask what your price range is? I mean you can get a Livernoise short block with forged everything for 5G's rated at 1000hp and be stroked. If it were me, I wouldn't take anything from the old set up.
Working just fine for me Saleen does the same thing on the Extreme and so does Steeda on the Q635

Originally Posted by Darth Stang
JDM does builds for their own cars, and I know they offer a saleen stroker.
Saleen's rotating assembly is the same that I'm running

To the OP how is the hunt going? Sorry I haven't been in touch haven't had a lot of good luck lately.