GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Removing the Stock Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 4/16/06, 02:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me first say that this is a little corky but I'm bored.... Has anone with a stock exhaust system just taken the stock mufflers off to see what it sounds like? Its very easy to do, I was just wondering. I'm think about just taking them off to see what it sounds like. I realize that if I took the mufflers off completely I would have two gaping holes in my bumper. But I just am curious to see what it sounds like.....

Anyone done it???
Old 4/16/06, 02:31 PM
V6 Member

I had an exhaust shop take them off and hang pipe with slash tips in place of the mufflers (muffler shop Loudmouths) I like how it sounds.
Old 4/16/06, 03:30 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Several people did it back when the '05 first came out and they wanted to get an idea of what the SLP LM's would sound like. It's not the EXACT same, but it's pretty close.
Old 4/16/06, 04:03 PM
Cobra Member

Is there anyway to open up the exhaust but still keep the stock mufflers hanging in there? Not permently but just for now? or will I have to deal with the holes..... lol
Old 4/16/06, 07:52 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WuTimeUT @ April 16, 2006, 5:06 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Is there anyway to open up the exhaust but still keep the stock mufflers hanging in there? Not permently but just for now? or will I have to deal with the holes..... lol
[/b][/quote]

I took my mufflers off to paint the back-side of them black, not the tips, just the back of the muffler cans, got tired of seeing the shiny metal of the mufflers when all else is dark. With the backs black, the tips stand out more. I used charcoal grill hi-temp black, it's been more than 6 months and they still look perfect.

While they were off and the paint drying, I took it for a spin. I liked the sound of it quite a bit like that and wound up driving it that way for almost a week! It has a real nice burble to it when decelerating and if you stand on it, it screams. It is a little too loud for my everyday driving tastes, but it does sound good. Yeah, it does look funny from behind with the two big holes and no tips sticking out.

I have thought off and on about installing a pair of exhaust cut-outs forward of the mufflers so I could have that sound when I want it, and normal the rest of the time. They even have electric ones that you can open and close at the flick of a switch. Even though I have access to torches and a mig welder, I just can't justify the cost and time to do it just for some noise. I have also seen dyno reports that state that you actually loose some HP and torque when you just remove the mufflers. The extra noise and vibration that you get with no muffs does make it "feel" faster though.

Here are a couple of links to good 'ol manual cut-outs as well as electric ones.

Manual -
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...cut/index.html

Electric - http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Scre...gory_Code=GPEXH

Do it yourself electrics -
http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/ElectricExhaustCutOut.htm

Hope this helps
Old 4/16/06, 08:20 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WuTimeUT @ April 16, 2006, 5:06 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]
Come on Guys be serious. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img] The last Guy that I saw leave a car show, I was at, with his 05 with no mufflers got seriously heckled at .Sounded like a bag of poop.DO IT RIGHT.

When you let off it sounds like a dumptruck exhaust with a huge hole in it.Leave the stock muflers and get an offroad pipe.
Old 4/16/06, 08:30 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I started my car once with the mufflers off and it sounded like a whale getting a harpoon up the butt

I gotta say threads like this make me wonder about people
Old 4/16/06, 08:46 PM

I think my time here is going to be Limited.I keep bouncing back and fourth but the questions and info in here is rediculous.
Old 4/17/06, 05:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Well, I took it to a different level - keep the stock look, but change the sound...

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...33&#entry606233

I hope to have some new video posted soon.
Old 4/17/06, 05:43 AM
V6 Member

I took my stock mufflers off when I installed my FRPP exhaust. Once I had the stock mufflers off, I took the car for a quick run around the block with no mufflers. Man, it was really loud. Shook my fillings. As I was putting on the FRPPs, I was hoping they were not as loud as my no muffler testing (they sound great and are much less loud than open pipes). I wouldn't think 'no mufflers' is something many people would want. To me, it made my GT sound like an old pickup truck with a rotten exhaust. Not a pleasant sound to my ears. Others may like it, but it was too much for me.

T
Old 4/17/06, 08:55 PM
Cobra Member

Well I got it all done... I could see why some people dont like the sound. It is very agressive, but in no way do I think it sounds bad. Or "a whale getting a harpoon up the but", lol. I've always wanted to try cutouts but felt the same way, that money could go to a quality exhaust system. I think I'm going to go up to an exhaust shop to see if they can make some tips that I can hang in the stock hangers, I don't really want them welding them in there for good. That way if I ever wanted to go back to stock, or if the addition of LT's and a midpipe were to much.

Anyway, I've heard the SLPs and I would recommend to anyone going this route just for the sure fact that its a heck of a lot cheaper. The sounds are different, but very similar

P.S. Random but does anyone know of a good shop in the Austin, TX area? I haven't had much auto work done since I moved down here.

Thanks!

One more thing, does anyone have a sound clip of some sort of offroad H pipe with the stock mufflers? I can't seem to find one.
Old 4/17/06, 10:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have nothing to add other than this.

[attachmentid=47236]

Boomer Sooner! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 4/18/06, 12:11 PM
Cobra Member

haha...... o lord lets not start that up..... I always love seeing our symbol upside down..... I don't think I've heard a sooner talk crap since the red river shootout.... haha

No but seriously this year is gonna be a kick hiney game....