GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Recent info from SCT regarding tune/warranty...

Search this Thread

Old 8/28/06, 05:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing you do want to watch out for is the dealer doing periodic reflashes without asking you. Ford "revises" the computer programming from time-to-time based on warranty issues, customer complaints, programming upgrades, etc. Many dealers will reflash your computer as a matter of habit without telling you - once your car is in their hands....and I have heard if they reflash over your custom tune - you can no longer use your tuner - but must send it back for a reprogram....additionally, when Ford reflashes the ECU they are supposed to attach a new code (you know the one you sent in when you 1st ordered your tuner) but dealers are notorious for not doing this and you must ask them for the new code.....I'd rather simply avoid any potential issues by returning to stock programming, disconnecting the batt cable and then driving a few cycles to clear any codes and not have to worry. My local dealer is very (by the book) and wouldn't "overlook" something like a tune & CAI, etc and having to fight a dealer and work through a Regional Ford Rep, etc. is not worth the time it takes to reflash and remove the CAI.....
Old 8/28/06, 09:27 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,706 Posts
This is exactly the reason why it's critical, that you always re-flash back to stock before taking your vehicle back to the dealer for servicing
Old 8/29/06, 03:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I was under the impression the dealers get paid by ford for warranty problems and make money on the service as well. Why would you turn down buisness? Also, I do not beleive that because Ford is in some financial trouble, that the dealers are as well. I may be wrong but I'm fairly certain the dealers will not mess with you on warranty with a simple aftermarket tune. At least they don't with mine. They must see this aftermarket stuff quite a bit.
Old 8/29/06, 05:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SixtySix
And to add more fuel to the fire... getting your oil changed isn't going to require anybody to even look at your computer. So unless you're in for a specific issue that relates to the computer system nobody is going to look at it.

I brought mine in for an issue that was related to the computer and required a reflash and did it right there in front of my service advisor.
"Hey can one of you mechanics hold this beer while I reflash?"
Old 8/29/06, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bennyandthejets
I was under the impression the dealers get paid by ford for warranty problems and make money on the service as well. Why would you turn down buisness? Also, I do not beleive that because Ford is in some financial trouble, that the dealers are as well. I may be wrong but I'm fairly certain the dealers will not mess with you on warranty with a simple aftermarket tune. At least they don't with mine. They must see this aftermarket stuff quite a bit.
From a legal standpoint, dealers canno't mess with you regardless of whether it's a simple aftermarket tune or any type of modification..Only the manufactuer has the authority to void or mess with their warranties, as mentioned on page 1..it has to be proven the powertrain failure, was a direct result of the modification or aftermarket part in question..However, if certain dealers think they can get over on you and that you don't know any better, it doesn't mean they won't try..
Old 8/29/06, 08:32 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ford dealer does Steeda tunes. If they do it, why can't you?? Anyways I called the Steeda Rep at the dealership and he told me that they will not deny your warranty from a tune. He did say that if you mess with the cats or anything like that,then that would be a problem
Old 8/29/06, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Boltzman
My Ford dealer does Steeda tunes. If they do it, why can't you?? Anyways I called the Steeda Rep at the dealership and he told me that they will not deny your warranty from a tune. He did say that if you mess with the cats or anything like that,then that would be a problem
When you say your Ford dealer does Steeda tunes, do you mean he does them with an SCT X-cal II tuner or with the Steeda/FRPP pro flash tool ?? because if you're referring to that pro cal flash tool that's included with the FRPP 1 Power pack, you won't see very much of HP difference..The tunes are so conservative plus their also not user adjustable..Although my dealer isn't me giving a hard time over installing my Steeda CAI, they still request that I re-flash back to stock and reinstall my factory airbox, before bringing my car in for servicing, so he isn't as cool as your dealer but of course your in Florida and I'm here in PA were their aren't many Ford performance dealers to begin with, even though my Ford dealer is also a Roush dealer it's just not the same as having a dealer who's also a Ford racing performance parts dealer..As for why some dealers give their customers a difficult time in flashing thier own vehicles ? is because customers are not considered as licensed Ford technicans and are concerned that a customer may not upload the new tune files correctly, which doesn't make any logical sense at all, but that's their supposed excuse..On the other hand I can understand why their so strict about removing the cats, because that's considered a federal regulation under the federal emissions law and if the either the feds or Ford happen to find out that you removed any parts that happen to be part of the emission system, your in violation of federal law..But there's always a way of getting around that too..If you state has an emissions inspection test, you just reinstall your cats, before your inspection is due and when your done, take em back off..
Old 8/30/06, 06:34 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well,they wanted to sell me a Predator at first,but I said I wanted an SCT instead.So I'm assuming it's not the flash tuner.
Old 8/30/06, 10:11 PM

Personally, If my dealer offered me the Predator or the FRPP pro cal tool, as my only choices ?? I'd take the Predator over the the FRPP/pro cal tool, hands down..But like you, I just wouldn't settle for anything less than a SCT X-Cal II tuner...