GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Rear End Woe's

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/11, 08:54 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear End Woe's

Well, I was minding my own business installing my rear Wilwood brake kit today and when it was time to slide the axels out I was greeted with an ugly sight. When I removed the differential cover I noticed two of the four spider gears are pretty banged up! For some reason the gears on the left and right have mashed teeth. Only the ones on each side, the top and bottoms are fine. Any ideas as to what caused this? My car has Eibach springs and Tokico D Speck Adjustable shocks as far as suspension and everything else is stock. Is it possible that being lowered without an adjustable Panhard bar or adjustable upper control arm that the angle of the driveshaft and rear end is off causing the gears to not mesh correctly. Or is it just a sign of abuse? The 3:55 gears look fine, it's just 2 of the 4 spider gears that are damaged.
Attached Images   
Old 4/8/11, 09:07 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,796 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmeo
Well, I was minding my own business installing my rear Wilwood brake kit today and when it was time to slide the axels out I was greeted with an ugly sight. When I removed the differential cover I noticed two of the four spider gears are pretty banged up! For some reason the gears on the left and right have mashed teeth. Only the ones on each side, the top and bottoms are fine. Any ideas as to what caused this? My car has Eibach springs and Tokico D Speck Adjustable shocks as far as suspension and everything else is stock. Is it possible that being lowered without an adjustable Panhard bar or adjustable upper control arm that the angle of the driveshaft and rear end is off causing the gears to not mesh correctly. Or is it just a sign of abuse? The 3:55 gears look fine, it's just 2 of the 4 spider gears that are damaged.
Well the good news is you caught it before it GRENADED. Get er Fixed and move on. Do you do a lot of Drag Racing??

KC
Old 4/8/11, 09:24 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts
thats scary looking...I dunno, but wouldnt think drag racing would do that- these gears are static unless turning a corner. ever done a burnout and only left one stripe? that would wear the spiders very very fast- but all 4 of them...pinion angle/lowering wont change mesh. severe ujoint angles cause the velocity of the pinion:shaft to change twice a rev, the torsional vibration might beat things up a little, but I dont think like this...especially as the spiders are so undamaged.

has this rearend ever been serviced? kinda wondering if someone mighta dinged the side gears taking the spring out or something- dings leave high spots elsewhere that might cause pressure points that chip away?

just wondering if maybe Ford got some hard or soft parts or something- I'm pretty sure these gears are profile heat treated, kinda looks like the sidegears were a bit brittle at the tips... if so there could be more of us with this quietly going on. Ive got at least 50 passes on mine, hope they look better than this- might pull my cover and take a look. is there a magnet in the pumpkin to catch metal?

eager to hear everyones thoughts on this

Last edited by ford4v429; 4/8/11 at 09:36 PM.
Old 4/8/11, 09:36 PM

I checked for TSB's This may be helpful. Could explain low fluid.

KC
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tsb10-03-07.pdf (47.0 KB, 262 views)
Old 4/9/11, 07:19 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 05stangkc

Well the good news is you caught it before it GRENADED. Get er Fixed and move on. Do you do a lot of Drag Racing??

KC
I have never done rear end work before, is changing the spider gears something I can do? I just got the car last May and only put 2,000 miles or so on it. I play sometimes but I never drag raced or hard launched the car.
Old 4/9/11, 07:27 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
ever done a burnout and only left one stripe?

has this rearend ever been serviced?

is there a magnet in the pumpkin to catch metal?
Have done burnouts but with both tires a blazin'.

As far as I can tell the rear end is as it was from the factory and never serviced. It only has 66,000 miles on it

No magnet in the rear end that I know of. I purchase a Ford Racing rear diff cover, a Moser stud kit and Royal Purple gear oil with the brakes in hopes to sure things up back there but as you can see it's a little too late
Old 4/9/11, 07:34 AM
V6 Member

KC
I have the oil I drained out still sitting in a catch pan. I'll check to see how much there is and compare to the factory service manual. It does look like maybe there wasn't enough. I hope this could have been the problem.

I don't know what to do now. I'm gonna have to put it back together and take it somewhere to have this fixed. Is there something aftermarket I can do to make it stronger and better than before like a Detroit Locker or something? I just supercharged the car and was planning a 6 speed with a good clutch and one piece aluminum driveshaft next year and want the rear end as strong as can be. Especially now that repairs need to be made I wanna strengthen it up as much as I can.
Old 4/9/11, 09:14 AM

Here is a Parts Breakdown. All things being equal the FORD Diff Kit at $120.00 Should get you back on the Road for now.

I would make sure to flush as much of the junk out of the case as I could and replace the kit as shown. That is if nothing else is damaged.

You said you had a shop manual so it's really how comfortable you are with the repair. It's a job some could do in the driveway and some could not. Pulling the Ring & Pinion is definetely not a driveway job for the vast majority but the Side Gears & spiders is a lot easier thing.

I have supplied the FORD Part number for the Diff KIt and indicated a couple of things to check. Make sure the 4211 Shaft is not worn and also the Hole it goes into in not wallowed out.

I am sure you will get a lot of varied opinions on which way to go. This is mine. I don't think you need to dump a ton of money into the rear at the present as the 8.8 is a decent rear and should serve you fine with the factory setup as long as nothing else is wrong with it.

Make sure and check for any other damaged parts and be sure you are getting everything you need the first time. I would replace that Axle Vent as well as listed in the TSB. Replacing the Axle seals would be a good Idea as well if you are comfortable with it. I would also check the Axles & bearings for wear if you had a low fluid concern.

If you wanted upgrade the Gears you could go with somthing like this.
http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDet...px?ProdID=4137

It's hard to make a difinitive recommendation with pics alone but with what I can see this is what you get.

kc
Attached Thumbnails Rear End Woe's-rear.jpg  

Last edited by 05stangkc; 4/9/11 at 09:36 AM.
Old 4/9/11, 01:36 PM
V6 Member

Here is a Parts Breakdown. All things being equal the FORD Diff Kit at $120.00 Should get you back on the Road for now.

I would make sure to flush as much of the junk out of the case as I could and replace the kit as shown. That is if nothing else is damaged.

You said you had a shop manual so it's really how comfortable you are with the repair. It's a job some could do in the driveway and some could not. Pulling the Ring & Pinion is definetely not a driveway job for the vast majority but the Side Gears & spiders is a lot easier thing.

I have supplied the FORD Part number for the Diff KIt and indicated a couple of things to check. Make sure the 4211 Shaft is not worn and also the Hole it goes into in not wallowed out.

I am sure you will get a lot of varied opinions on which way to go. This is mine. I don't think you need to dump a ton of money into the rear at the present as the 8.8 is a decent rear and should serve you fine with the factory setup as long as nothing else is wrong with it.

Make sure and check for any other damaged parts and be sure you are getting everything you need the first time. I would replace that Axle Vent as well as listed in the TSB. Replacing the Axle seals would be a good Idea as well if you are comfortable with it. I would also check the Axles & bearings for wear if you had a low fluid concern.

If you wanted upgrade the Gears you could go with somthing like this.
http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDet...px?ProdID=4137

It's hard to make a difinitive recommendation with pics alone but with what I can see this is what you get.

kc
Very nice write up, I thank you for taking the time to try and help me. I think I am going to take my car to my semi-local Mustang shop and have the rear end rebuilt with new bearings and seals throughout including axel seals & bearings. I also think I am going to have them install a Eaton Truetrack differential. I am just not comfortable doing rear end work.

Last edited by Jmeo; 4/9/11 at 01:39 PM.
Old 4/9/11, 02:12 PM

Very nice write up, I thank you for taking the time to try and help me. I think I am going to take my car to my semi-local Mustang shop and have the rear end rebuilt with new bearings and seals throughout including axel seals & bearings. I also think I am going to have them install a Eaton Truetrack differential. I am just not comfortable doing rear end work.
You are welcome.If your not comfortable with the Job you made the right choice. Don't forget the TSB Vent to keep the oil in place!

KC
Old 4/9/11, 03:27 PM
V6 Member

You are welcome.If your not comfortable with the Job you made the right choice. Don't forget the TSB Vent to keep the oil in place!

KC
Ok I'll make sure to change it
Old 4/9/11, 07:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have never done rear end work before, is changing the spider gears something I can do? I just got the car last May and only put 2,000 miles or so on it. I play sometimes but I never drag raced or hard launched the car.
Looks like the previous owner had way too much fun in that car!
Old 4/9/11, 08:02 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by antdog

Looks like the previous owner had way too much fun in that car!
I agree, they are never honest
Old 4/12/11, 04:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

KC
Kevin...what's the price of the replacement vent and how does the one already there come off? TIA...
Old 4/12/11, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by scramblr
Kevin...what's the price of the replacement vent and how does the one already there come off? TIA...
Ouch, That thing is listed as a hose assembly and Retails for $46.02 Historically those are fairly inexpensive. Must Be especial! For those have the prob and are still under warranty might want to get the dealer to do it. The are screwed into the axle Btw.

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 4/12/11 at 06:41 PM.
Old 4/14/11, 06:26 AM
V6 Member

Ouch, That thing is listed as a hose assembly and Retails for $46.02 Historically those are fairly inexpensive. Must Be especial! For those have the prob and are still under warranty might want to get the dealer to do it. The are screwed into the axle Btw.

KC
You wouldn't happen to have a part number for it would ya? That way I can just order one online. I feel comfortable changing that
Old 4/14/11, 10:23 PM
Cobra Member

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...-ventoil-leak/
Old 4/20/11, 11:14 AM
V6 Member

Just finished installing

Steeda X5 ball joints
Steeda Heavy Duty Camber Plate
Steeda Bump Steer Kit
Steeda Comp/Street Adj UCA
Steeda Adj Panhard Bar
Steeda Panhard Brace
Steeda Non-Adj LCA

And just had 4 wheel alignment
Adjusted pinion angle to -1.5
Centered axle (was off by almost 1")

And all I can say is WOW. The car rides and handles better than ever with absolutely no increased NVH. I STRONGLY advise some if not all of these mods for anyone who has lowered their car. One or all of these things could have been the culprit for my differential gears getting fubared.