GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Rattling FlowMaster

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/14, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattling FlowMaster

Hi Folks, I bought a used 2005 Mustang GT from an enthusiast in Utah. The car is great, but the FlowMasters he put on in 2007 seem to have run their course. The driver-side muffler is making a nasty rattling sound at lower RPM ranges. The effect is worst when the car first starts up. Not good for impressing the girlfriend or the valet parking guy.

Shining a flashlight up the tailpipe reveals a hole in one of the baffles where the material has rusted out. The passenger-side muffler is OK for now, but seems to have rusted quite a bit, too. From my research, these parts (driver- and passenger-side) would cost about $400, plus $150 for installation by a local muffler shop my mechanic recommended.

Advice? I'm open to all options (stock exhaust, new FlowMasters, used FlowMasters, door number four)? I wouldn't describe myself as an enthusiast (yet) but it would be a shame to go back to stock exhaust sound after someone did all this work. --B

P.S. The part number is 952566-L, which seems to be a FlowMaster "Force II" based on the PDF at http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/kitpdf/17410.pdf

Last edited by mage; 6/10/14 at 04:59 PM.
Old 6/10/14, 05:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Do some research on exhaust videos for a sound close to your desires. Then buy them. It takes a short time to install them yourself (very easy), saving some cash.

Videos are sometimes off on the sound too so check several.
Old 6/11/14, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck with FlowMasters. Found a guy who had something similar in inventory & got me out the door (parts and labor) for only $180 total. I decided to hold off fixing the passenger-side unit until it finishes rusting through, too. And for the record I don't have a welding iron! Not sure I would want to try this at home after watching the work get done.

P.S. Definitely enjoyed all the videos in the "exhaust" sticky forum thread.

Last edited by mage; 6/11/14 at 05:57 PM.