GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Question about Saleen 3-piece Underdrive Pulley Kit

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/10, 04:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question about Saleen 3-piece Underdrive Pulley Kit

***Disclaimer: I have contacted Saleen via email regarding the following questions. I am still waiting for a response***

I recently purchased this Saleen UDP kit from a member of another forum. The set was new, but with no instructions or original packaging.
Name:  Saleen pullies.jpg
Views: 2533
Size:  51.4 KB

I don't have the tools or the experience to install them myself, so I went to have them installed by some VERY knowledgable S197 Mustang guys who have their own Mustang garage. There seems to be some confusion on a few things.

First off, the guys installing them removed the crank pulley and slipped on the one in the lower left of the pic. He said he had never seen one go on like that before and was a little concerned about it because I guess it didn't demonstrate any friction or resistance while he slid it on to give the impression it was on there tightly. (He's primarily installed Steeda pullies) It is secured by a bolt though, so would that matter? He was also speculating that maybe the Saleen crank pulley and stock crank pulley were supposed to piggy-back eachother somehow. Does that make sense?

Second, he was unable to get the pulley off of the alternator, so the Saleen alternator pulley (lower right corner of the above pic) wasn't installed at the time. My car is an '08 and apparently there was some kind of change in the design of the alternators at some point. Anyone got an idea how to get the stock alternator pulley off?

Finally, the pulley set I have (which is the same one Brenspeed sells here: Saleen Underdrive Pulleys Mustang GT (05-10) is for an '05+ GT. However, the Saleen website shows a different crank pulley as pictured here: Saleen Saleen Underdrive Pulley Kit S197. Both sets have the same part number, and both state they're for an S197 4.6L 3V V8. Does anyone know what the deal is with any of this? We can't make any sense of it.

I'm currently running the two pullies without issue. The slipped-on crank pulley has been fine, no charging or cooling issues at all. The car is definately a little quicker. But if something is wrong with the way it currently is set up, I don't want to take the chance of something happening. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by John H; 6/16/10 at 05:52 PM.
Old 8/22/10, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John H
***Disclaimer: I have contacted Saleen via email regarding the following questions. I am still waiting for a response***

I recently purchased this Saleen UDP kit from a member of another forum. The set was new, but with no instructions or original packaging.
Attachment 76573

I don't have the tools or the experience to install them myself, so I went to have them installed by some VERY knowledgable S197 Mustang guys who have their own Mustang garage. There seems to be some confusion on a few things.

First off, the guys installing them removed the crank pulley and slipped on the one in the lower left of the pic. He said he had never seen one go on like that before and was a little concerned about it because I guess it didn't demonstrate any friction or resistance while he slid it on to give the impression it was on there tightly. (He's primarily installed Steeda pullies) It is secured by a bolt though, so would that matter? He was also speculating that maybe the Saleen crank pulley and stock crank pulley were supposed to piggy-back eachother somehow. Does that make sense?

Second, he was unable to get the pulley off of the alternator, so the Saleen alternator pulley (lower right corner of the above pic) wasn't installed at the time. My car is an '08 and apparently there was some kind of change in the design of the alternators at some point. Anyone got an idea how to get the stock alternator pulley off?

Finally, the pulley set I have (which is the same one Brenspeed sells here: Saleen Underdrive Pulleys Mustang GT (05-10) is for an '05+ GT. However, the Saleen website shows a different crank pulley as pictured here: Saleen Saleen Underdrive Pulley Kit S197. Both sets have the same part number, and both state they're for an S197 4.6L 3V V8. Does anyone know what the deal is with any of this? We can't make any sense of it.

I'm currently running the two pullies without issue. The slipped-on crank pulley has been fine, no charging or cooling issues at all. The car is definately a little quicker. But if something is wrong with the way it currently is set up, I don't want to take the chance of something happening. Any help is greatly appreciated!

No one has an answer to his question I like to here some input on this from someone a little experience with these pulleys.

Last edited by TOTAL-JIM; 8/22/10 at 05:24 PM.
Old 8/22/10, 07:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pulled the originals of my car when I did the SC and had the other style balancer. The major difference I can see is it had a larger outer diameter with the small pulley behind it. Now, since my car came with the pulleys I didn't have to remove a stock alternator pulley, but I've read that the stock one is a clutch unit that does require a special puller.

The crank pulley should be a snug, press fit. That would concern me, because it could rock loose and damage both the pulley and crank.

I hope this helps.
Old 8/22/10, 07:50 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Stock alternator pulley requires a special removal tool or some ingenuity. The removal tool comes with Saleen Supererchargers when you buy them to remove the clutch type stock pulley. The pulley is removed for the supercharger because you have to clock, or reverse the alternator and with a clutch pulley won't spin the opposite direction. I know Brenspeed has the alternator pulley removal tool in stock. I'm sure other places have them too, but you're not going to find it at Auto Zone.

Some others have found different ways to get the pulley off but I never tried another way. The pulley tool allows you to use an impact on the nut on the alternator without the alternator spinning and defeating the purpose.

As far as the crank I have no idea.
Old 8/23/10, 05:59 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
See if this information helps any.

https://themustangsource.com/f669/st...l-pics-452799/
Old 8/23/10, 09:48 AM
Cobra R Member

They do not have the correct Crank Damper pulley listed for the 05-08 cars.
The Harmonic Balancer is wrong for your
application.

It should look like this:

Old 8/26/10, 07:28 PM
Cobra Member

I forgot about this thread for a while. Just to update, several weeks ago, I went ahead and purchased a set of Steeda UDP's and had them installed a few weeks ago. I wanted to go with those in the first place anyways so I just eliminated any doubt regarding the Saleen pullies and made the switch.