GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pypes OR/X install question - noob

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/09, 02:17 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pypes OR/X install question - noob

I have had my Pypes OR/X sitting in my storage area for a while now and I want to get it installed. I searched on this forums for over an hour and didn't find the answer I was looking for.

1. Do I need to remove all of the exhaust to install the or/x or can I just drop the stock h-pipe and install the new or/x?

2. Do I need to get a new tune after I install the or/x? Will it just throw a CEL because of the o2 sensors? Will I get better performance from a new tune?

Current mods: JLT intake/sct tune and pypes muffler delete axleback.

Thanks in advance,

Pat
Old 9/9/09, 02:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) I believe with the Pypes system you can remove just the stock H pipe and install the new Pypes setup.
2) The car will throw a CEL. You mention that you have an SCT tune, if you have one of the tuners that has programmable options, I seem to remember the O2 sensors being one of the options in the device itself.
Old 9/9/09, 02:46 AM
GT Member

Thanks, one more quick one..

Originally Posted by theedge67
1) I believe with the Pypes system you can remove just the stock H pipe and install the new Pypes setup.
2) The car will throw a CEL. You mention that you have an SCT tune, if you have one of the tuners that has programmable options, I seem to remember the O2 sensors being one of the options in the device itself.
Any need for a new custom tune or should I just install the pipe and turn off the CEL with the SCT?
Old 9/9/09, 03:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

The custom tune will probably not net you much extra HP. I am very happy with my Tillman All Out tune, and would recommend it highly if you choose to go that route, however it is not necessary as long as you can turn off your O2 sensors with the tuner.

What kind of SCT tuner do you have? Are you able to choose what mods you have when you load a tune into the car?
Old 9/9/09, 03:35 AM
GT Member

I have an SCT3 model is 3015, American Muscle just sends me the custom tunes and I upload them to the device. But..... I've never actually done it before because my sct3 came with a preloaded custom tune that I am currently using.

I suppose it couldn't HURT to get a new tune from them, after all its free..
Old 9/9/09, 03:51 AM
V6 Member

You do not need to remove your full exhaust. Just drop the stock h and reinstall the new x pipe. YOu may have to adjust the passenger side hanger alittle bit as it seems it is common for them to hit the cross member or be very close and cause a rattling noise. You will get a CEL, I drove my car for over 20k miles without issue minus seeing hte light out the corner of my eye. Car ran fine on both the street and at the track.
Old 9/9/09, 03:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Yeah, it won't hurt anything if the CEL turns on, it is just an annoyance. I say try it and see what happens first. The SCT tune may already have the O2's turned off. If they don't, and the CEL comes on just contact American Muscle and have them send over a tune for you. Easy as pie!!
Old 9/9/09, 06:06 AM
GT Member

I installed the pypes o/r x on my car and I already had the cat-back on. I reccomend putting some pb blaster/wd-40 on the bolts that hold the midpipe to the manifolds for easier removal. Don't remove the cat-back just remove the clamps and tie a pice of string around the drivie shaft and around the pipes, that should hold it out of the way while you install the X-pipe. I got tillman speed to order mine through pipes and CR updated my tunes. He said that the tunes were slightly different to allow for the less restriction in your pipes, but I didn't feel a whole lot of power out of it. Its hard to tell much difference in 5 hp. I used the SCT3 too!
Old 9/9/09, 06:09 AM

I think this is going to be my next mod along with cmdp's and a tillman dyno tune
Old 9/9/09, 09:24 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by NotQuik
You do not need to remove your full exhaust. Just drop the stock h and reinstall the new x pipe. YOu may have to adjust the passenger side hanger alittle bit as it seems it is common for them to hit the cross member or be very close and cause a rattling noise. You will get a CEL, I drove my car for over 20k miles without issue minus seeing hte light out the corner of my eye. Car ran fine on both the street and at the track.
Thanks for the replies, xpipe will go on today or tomorrow. I'm happy that I dont have to drop the entire exhaust, that would have made the job waaay longer. I've heard you need to remove the battery and battery tray to get to one of the o2 sensor wires, is this true? Thanks again.

Speaking of rattles... The muffler delete axleback I have is like a rattle snake under my stang, so it wouldn't surprise me if this pypes x-pipe rattles as well. I have tried to adjust my MD axleback a bunch of times and it has never quit rattling around. I guess thats what you get when you want to save $$$...
Old 9/9/09, 03:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

As far as the battery goes, you can remove it, yes. I did one time and it did make it easy to get to the sensor harness. The next time I did it, I reached up and through the hole from underneath the car. It was more difficult to reach, but easier since I didn't have to mess with the battery. You'll just have to see if you think you can do it from underneath or not.

As for the rattle, I had a nasty rattle too that I couldn't figure out. I finally figured out that it was the axleback on the passenger side that was doing it. The metal hanger in the rear of the muffler was up against the metal frame of the car. I adjusted the clamps on the midpipe and pushed the whole assembly forward about 1/2 inch and that solved it. Something to check on...
Old 9/9/09, 04:26 PM
GT Member

As far as the battery goes, you can remove it, yes. I did one time and it did make it easy to get to the sensor harness. The next time I did it, I reached up and through the hole from underneath the car. It was more difficult to reach, but easier since I didn't have to mess with the battery. You'll just have to see if you think you can do it from underneath or not.

As for the rattle, I had a nasty rattle too that I couldn't figure out. I finally figured out that it was the axleback on the passenger side that was doing it. The metal hanger in the rear of the muffler was up against the metal frame of the car. I adjusted the clamps on the midpipe and pushed the whole assembly forward about 1/2 inch and that solved it. Something to check on...
That is a possibility, its the passenger side that is rattling so it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. I like the sound of the pypes muffler delete (despite raspiness around the top end) but getting the pipes aligned and the rattling issues have been a real hassle. I hope the pypes or/x doesn't have similar issues. The only reason I went with pypes again is because I got the or/x for like $50 used.
Old 9/9/09, 08:45 PM
GT Member

wow, so no mufflers and no cats? that thing is going to be really loud! Make sure you make a video afterward.
Old 9/9/09, 08:49 PM

x2 I was worried about my bassani's being too loud
Old 9/10/09, 06:26 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jodadejSS06GT
wow, so no mufflers and no cats? that thing is going to be really loud! Make sure you make a video afterward.
Well, yes... If its too ridiculous then I will end up getting mufflers. The x-pipe I have is just sitting here unused so I might as well get some use out of it. I will admit I am somewhat skeptical about the noise level as well, but I will give it a shot. If its too loud, swapping mufflers on takes like 30 mins.

I will post a vid when I get it installed. Get your ear plugs ready.
Old 9/10/09, 10:47 AM
GT Member

Yea I mean going from stingers to stingers + o/r x was a big jump for me!
Old 9/10/09, 10:56 AM
GT Member

HOLY SMOKES!

I installed the O/R X-PIPE this morning..

Its ALMOST like open headers, except a little quieter at idle. But when you stomp the gas it will certainly wake the dead. I am expecting two or three I told you so's, but thats okay. I'll keep it the way it is for a couple weeks and then order some new axleback mufflers.

I fired it up at like 8:30 this morning when all of my neighbors were doing this :
Two people immediately came out and did this:

Any suggestions for a quieter axleback?

Also my CEL didn't come on when I took it for a quick spin??? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Old 9/10/09, 05:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Your O2 sensors may already be turned off with the tune you have. Or it could be that your quick spin was too quick for them to trigger a light. Keep driving it for a while and see what happens.
Old 9/10/09, 06:58 PM
V6 Member

How was the install? That was my first impression after pairing the off road x and mac axle back but at the sametime I had a big smile Now have the xpipe and mid muffler system and like it alot as well, but my wife said it's too quiet lol...if you want quietier you could always throw some cats in there.
Old 9/10/09, 08:38 PM
GT Member

Your O2 sensors may already be turned off with the tune you have. Or it could be that your quick spin was too quick for them to trigger a light. Keep driving it for a while and see what happens.
I drove it around more today, much to the shagrin of all the ears nearby.. No CEL, so I am assuming its the tune that stopped it from coming on.

Quick Reply: Pypes OR/X install question - noob