GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Prospective owner looking for input

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/05, 12:15 PM
AJ_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all-

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks after starting my research on the '05 as a possible replacement for my current, uninspiring Honda. I owned a '70 many years ago, and IMO, there hasn't been a Mustang since then that's looked like a Mustang until the '05. So I test drove the GT Premium, and I haven't been able to get it out of my head since.

So in reading the various posts here, I'm seeing some mechanical issues popping up - these aren't neccessarily deal-breakers for me, but I want to be fully aware of what I may be getting into. Hopefully, some of these may be "First Production Year" shakedown type of stuff. (BTW- I'm thinking GT Premium w/Auto trans, we've got rain here and I get stuck in traffic alot.)

So:

-I'm seeing a few of you reporting clunking in the front, relating to the upper strut bearing mounts. There was also mention that Steeda claimed an uneven load distribution on the stock units. Is there a potential for catastrophic failure on the stock defective units? Or just the annoying noise? Has Ford formally issued a TSB on this issue/part? And if they're replacing it, are they putting on the same part, with the potential for the same issue, or has the replacement part been improved?

-Noise in the rear - similar to the issue in the front?

-Cooler line fittings for the auto trans being loose - does tightening them do the trick, or are they not staying torqued properly and keep loosening up?

-Window calibration - a minor annoyance? Also, out of curiousity, what happens if your battery is completely dead and you need to get the door open? Do they pop back down a smidge when power is lost to clear the overlapping trim piece?

-Gas tank filling - is it really that bad trying to top the tank off, or does it really just depend on the type of pump you're using?

-Any other warnings/praise that I may not of gleaned from a test drive? I've seen talk about wheel hop, but I'm not terribly concerned - the driver and road are big factors there too, IMO. Any other input of your impressions of the '05 GT would be appreciated!

Thanks
AJ
Old 1/19/05, 02:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, the tires make a terrible squealing sound when you give it the gas.