GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Predator Tuner Help

Search this Thread

Old 1/27/06, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I know there are a thousand tuner posts to search through, but bare with me. I have questions based on my boring setup on my 5-speed 2005 GT. Most of the tuner posts I see are with more bolt-on mods.

I'm buying a tuner. My car is bone stock except for a K&N filter (stock airbox) and Flowmaster AT axle-backs. I don't plan on a custom tune. SCT is out, mainly because there are 2 SCT dealers in the Tampa Bay area as opposed to 8 or 9 Predator tuners. So, Predator it is. Here's what I need opinions on:

1) I plan to use the 87 octane tune and only hope to gain 10-15 RWHP. Is this reasonable?

2) Will the Predator help eliminate the crappy throttle response you get with the stock tune? This is a BIG part of why I want the tuner.

3) For those with a basically stock setup like mine, are there any noticable seat-of-the-pants feel or dyno results between the 87/89/93 octane tunes?

4) Has anyone found that the higher octane tunes are more likely to cause failsafe, CEL, or error code problems? This is my daily driver, so I need it to be totally reliable.

I'd appreciate any advice you all have to give.
Old 1/27/06, 06:22 PM
Bullitt Member

1. YES
2. For the most part YES
3. Maybe a couple of Hp
4. NO failsafe no matter what octane
Old 1/27/06, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pretty much agree with Nick, except #2. I thought the Predator did a good job with throttle response, until I got one of Doug's X2 tunes. Holy crap... night and day.

And I really don't understand why you have ruled out the SCT?? You said you are not going to get a custom tune, so why does it mattter how many local dealers are near you? If all you want is a good "canned" tune, get it and the X2 from one of the vendors here at TMS. I can virtually guarantee that they will be a lot better than any of the local dealers and standard Predator tunes. I highly recommend Doug at BamaChips... his tunes are awesome. Look at my mods in my signature... I've never had a dyno tune done, just Doug's awesome work and customer service. And as you add mods in the future, Doug will be there to update the tunes for you... properly.
Old 1/27/06, 10:19 PM

It's just a question of support from a local shop if I do decide to get a custom tune, that's really the only reason. For some reason, all of the more established tuners in this area use the Predator.

Does the SCT also come with 87/89/93 canned tunes?
Old 1/27/06, 11:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by don_w@January 27, 2006, 8:52 PM
I pretty much agree with Nick, except #2. I thought the Predator did a good job with throttle response, until I got one of Doug's X2 tunes. Holy crap... night and day.

And I really don't understand why you have ruled out the SCT?? You said you are not going to get a custom tune, so why does it mattter how many local dealers are near you? If all you want is a good "canned" tune, get it and the X2 from one of the vendors here at TMS. I can virtually guarantee that they will be a lot better than any of the local dealers and standard Predator tunes. I highly recommend Doug at BamaChips... his tunes are awesome. Look at my mods in my signature... I've never had a dyno tune done, just Doug's awesome work and customer service. And as you add mods in the future, Doug will be there to update the tunes for you... properly.
Gotta remember mine is a stick.

From what I've been reading about the throttle lag with Auto's, SCT is the way to go.

I gotta agree with ya though, if I could do it all over again. I would definitely go with SCT off of pure customer service alone.
Old 1/28/06, 05:16 AM

Does the SCT come with basic tunes, or would I need to download one??
Old 1/28/06, 08:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by FL2005GT@January 28, 2006, 6:19 AM
Does the SCT come with basic tunes, or would I need to download one??
Should come with them.

check out www.brenspeed.com

also look for a guy named Brent from Bamachips, he's a regular on this forum

they can answer any and all questions you may have
Old 1/30/06, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by nicksolheim@January 28, 2006, 7:58 AM
also look for a guy named Brent from Bamachips, he's a regular on this forum
Actually... it's Doug from Bamachips. And he is one of the best!! I ran his tunes for several months until just 2 days ago. With his tunes, I never needed or wanted an over-priced dyno tune! And, you can get an X2 with his tunes, and incredible customer service for under 4 bills...