GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Performance Brake package Group Purchase !

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/06, 03:25 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Brenspeed posted this in the Meziere Pump thread yesterday...:

<span style="color:#000099">Up next is a performance brake package group buy. Last month I installed a set from StopTech and they are awesome. The fit was perfect and the function is great. I thought the car stopped well stock but now it is much much better. I will have three versions to choose from. Stage 1, 2, and 3. I will start a post on it for you members today.</span>

I am interested in it so much that I am trying to get him to read this thread and post to it!
Rustang

Here is Brenspeed's reply !

I guess this will be a good post to bring it up. Yes for Feb I can give you all a nice GP on a decent brake kit. I have tested a very nice kit from StopTech that included front and rear rotors, stainless lines, and Hawk Pads. It also came with fluid. It fit perfect. I am not at the shop but off the top of my head I think the kit with slotted or drilled rotors will run between $700 to $800 for the GP. Don't hold me to it as I dont have the figures in front of me. I have it on my own GT and love them. For the money they work great and the car stops awesome. They are stock sized rotors so rim fitment is not an issue with this kit. I believe I can offer this same kit with no rotors for around $300 to $350 which will still improve your stopping and give you a better pedal. I was not planning on big brakes in this GP but if somebody wants them I can do it for you if you contact me. If somebody wants to start a GP thread and PM me about it I will get pricing listed. I will put the parts up on the site and do a discount code for the GP. It will be Monday when I can get our site updated for you with images and all.

The great thing about the kit for $700 to $800 was it was very easy to install. Anybody with mechanical knowledge can put it on or any shop that does stock brakes can install it. There was nothing tricky about it. Not only do they work great but the drilled rotors on all 4 look cool as well.

The StopTech description for the stage 2 kit is...
"StopTech's SportStop slotted or drilled rotors, StopTech stainless steel brake lines, street performance pads and 3 bottles of Motul RBF600 brake fluid. Rotors, lines and pads are for both front and rear. Components can also be purchased separately. FITS STOCK CALIPERS."

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] (I did PM him and I expect him to post to this soon) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Old 2/3/06, 04:55 PM
FR500 Member

I am also interested in this. I assume by the stages that there will be a kit that comes complete with front and rear rotors, as well as calipers? I hope so.
Old 2/3/06, 05:40 PM
GT Member

I'll keep my eyes open for the brake thread when it comes up. I was thinking of getting new front and back brakes when I finally got my SC, but if there's a group buy I might go ahead and get them now.
Old 2/3/06, 05:54 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acadian @ February 3, 2006, 5:58 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I am also interested in this. I assume by the stages that there will be a kit that comes complete with front and rear rotors, as well as calipers? I hope so.
[/b][/quote]

What I have been reading says the rears are fine and most upgrade kits just include upgraded rotors, lines and pads for the rear. The fronts generally are huge (require 18"+ wheels) and are 4 piston calipers with all the effort & expense put up there.

just waiting for the group buy to begin..... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] I have no idea what he will be offering...
Old 2/3/06, 06:03 PM
FR500 Member

Yeah, I have heard the rears are fine too... but I'd want to spend a litle more money and get some nice powder-coated calipers so I don't have to worry about repainting mine every 6 months.
Old 2/3/06, 07:16 PM
Bullitt Member

i need some 12-13in slotted rotors with 2piston calipers in back and 14in slotted rotors with 6piston calipers up front...by god the only thing keeping me from hitting up some tracks is sucky brakes

you think that 4rotor/4caliper package could be had for 2 grand installed?
Old 2/4/06, 04:14 AM

I'm very interested also. Love the Stoptech site and their whole "balanced brake upgrade" thing. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Contacted them a while back and they were very helpful, told me the stage kits were coming out soon...

Reading their article on "knock back" saved by butt at Laguna Seca...once I started tap dancing, brakes became more predictable. Their stuff on ABS is also great. Wish more manufacturers were like them when it comes to helping the customer with info.

Since the FR500Cs are running stockers out back, it seems to make sense to me to go only with fronts. I don't care too much about the "look" of the rears. If anyone says anything, I'll tell them that those are the same ones as one the Multimatic Motorsports 2005 Grand Am cup winning FR500C racecar....and they can go KMA. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 2/5/06, 01:33 PM
GT Member

Bump. it is on guys...
Old 2/6/06, 03:56 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stkdidy @ February 3, 2006, 9:19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
i need some 12-13in slotted rotors with 2piston calipers in back and 14in slotted rotors with 6piston calipers up front...by god the only thing keeping me from hitting up some tracks is sucky brakes

you think that 4rotor/4caliper package could be had for 2 grand installed?
[/b][/quote]

A 14" big brake kit with 6 pot calipers will run you a minimum $2000. That's for the fronts alone.

You'll also need a minimum 18" Dia. wheels.

The problem with aftermarket rear brake setups is the parking brake issue.
Fixed calipers don't have integral parking brakes. There are 2 solutions to this problem.
1)An internal rear brake shoe design.
2)An additional baby sized single piston caliper is required.
Old 2/6/06, 01:04 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thump_rrr @ February 6, 2006, 2:59 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
A 14" big brake kit with 6 pot calipers will run you a minimum $2000. That's for the fronts alone.

You'll also need a minimum 18" Dia. wheels.

The problem with aftermarket rear brake setups is the parking brake issue.
Fixed calipers don't have integral parking brakes. There are 2 solutions to this problem.
1)An internal rear brake shoe design.
2)An additional baby sized single piston caliper is required.
[/b][/quote]
after consulting some knowledgeable friends and a couple others, ive decided that i still want 14in slotted front rotors with 6piston calipers, but will keep the stock rear brakes except for some high performance pads. i will have 20in foose nitrous rims, so theres plenty of clearance (and 14in will be a necessity given the large diameter of the rims and rotational mass)

any recommendations?
i could put in word to go talk with some people at willwood. if stoptech or baer have good alternatives for 1500 or less it would be nice. brembos are always an option, but in my personal experience you are paying a premium for the name...so the $/performance ratio is lower and the cost higher overall
Old 2/6/06, 01:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

What's the GP code?

What does everyone else prefer: Slotted or Drilled?
And why??
Old 2/6/06, 02:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stkdidy @ February 6, 2006, 2:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
after consulting some knowledgeable friends and a couple others, ive decided that i still want 14in slotted front rotors with 6piston calipers, but will keep the stock rear brakes except for some high performance pads. i will have 20in foose nitrous rims, so theres plenty of clearance (and 14in will be a necessity given the large diameter of the rims and rotational mass)

any recommendations?
i could put in word to go talk with some people at willwood. if stoptech or baer have good alternatives for 1500 or less it would be nice. brembos are always an option, but in my personal experience you are paying a premium for the name...so the $/performance ratio is lower and the cost higher overall
[/b][/quote]

Are you building a open track car? If not, you are wasting your money on 6 piston calipers. You won't find a 6 piston kit for 1500 or less. Heck, good pads and stainless lines are good enough for 99% of the people on this forum.
Old 2/6/06, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

OK members you asked for it so here it is. On our site we have up the 05 Mustang stage 1 and stage 2 kits. I have set up a GP code to give you a discount. I run the stage 2 kit on my own GT and really like it. The install went very well with no extra part store runs to get the parts on the car. StopTech included everthing needed and it fits great. Your big debate will be slotted or drilled. I went with drilled more for looks and accourding to StopTech the drilled are fine for a normal car but in high temperature situations like autocross they are more likely to crack than slotted. I dont know if this matters to the guy that drives to work or just on weekends.

We need 10 members to do a mixture of stage 1, stage 2, and big brake kits. I did not put big brake kits on the site but if you are looking to spend serious money on something like that I can help you out with a GP price. Just e-mail me for info (sales@brenspeed.com). Normal retail on a big brake kit front only is around $2195 to give you an idea of where the starting point is.....

Now for the stage 1 and stage 2 GP codes
You will not be charged until the GP is approved. So you can order now and I will call you or e-mail you when we are going to charge your card. You all get FREE SHIPPING.

StopTech Stage 2
4 drilled or slotted 2 piece rotors that are the same size as stock so you dont have to worry about your rims fitting.
Hawk HPS pads
Stainless lines
Fluid
Retail on Brenspeed $769 and you get an extra 12% off with the GP code and free shipping
Type "grouppurchasestage2" in the coupon section during checkout.

StopTech Stage 1
Same as above with no rotors
Retail on Brenspeed $379 and you get an extra 10% off with the GP code and free shipping
Type "grouppurchasestage1" in the coupon section during checkout.

CLICK TO VISIT BRENSPEED'S BRAKE PAGE

Questions e-mail Sales@brenspeed.com or call 574.834.7455

I hope this helps some of you out. Thanks,

Old 2/6/06, 02:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] I'm interested in new rotors. I think my right front rotor isn't perfectly flat after the curb incident a few months ago.
Old 2/6/06, 03:04 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Redfire 05Gt @ February 6, 2006, 3:57 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
What's the GP code?

What does everyone else prefer: Slotted or Drilled?
And why??
[/b][/quote]

A slotted rotor will stop as well if not better than a drilled rotor since there is more disk surface contacting the pads at any given time.

That being said I prefer drilled rotors for purely esthetic reasons.

For the people who will say that drilled rotors are prone to stress cracking my response is as follows. Properly engineered drilled rotors will not have any cracking problems or Mercedes would not be using them on every S500 sedan.
Old 2/6/06, 03:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thump_rrr @ February 6, 2006, 4:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
A slotted rotor will stop as well if not better than a drilled rotor since there is more disk surface contacting the pads at any given time.

That being said I prefer drilled rotors for purely esthetic reasons.

For the people who will say that drilled rotors are prone to stress cracking my response is as follows. Properly engineered drilled rotors will not have any cracking problems or Mercedes would not be using them on every S500 sedan.
[/b][/quote]

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/faqs.shtml#15

I wouldn't recommend drilled rotors to anyone whom drives their cars hard.
Old 2/6/06, 05:00 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 6, 2006, 5:23 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/faqs.shtml#15

I wouldn't recommend drilled rotors to anyone whom drives their cars hard.
[/b][/quote]

Driving ones car "hard" on the street isn't the same as a day of hot lapping at a race track.

Even on a racetrack when you are doing organized "advanced driver education" such as PCA (Porsche Club of America) or BMW you are normally on the track for 20-30 minute sessions.
I have friends who have been using crossdrilled rotors on their competition porsches for the last 20 years without a single incident.

If I was endurance racing I would agree 100% with the slotted rotors.

This bring me back to my original statement " I prefer drilled rotors for purely esthetic reasons"
Old 2/6/06, 05:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thump_rrr @ February 6, 2006, 6:03 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Driving ones car "hard" on the street isn't the same as a day of hot lapping at a race track.

Even on a racetrack when you are doing organized "advanced driver education" such as PCA (Porsche Club of America) or BMW you are normally on the track for 20-30 minute sessions.
I have friends who have been using crossdrilled rotors on their competition porsches for the last 20 years without a single incident.

If I was endurance racing I would agree 100% with the slotted rotors.

This bring me back to my original statement " I prefer drilled rotors for purely esthetic reasons"
[/b][/quote]

I've seen street cross drilled rotors crack. I've also seen blank rotors crack on the track. My friend's Z06 with race pads used to crack rotors quite frequently. It all depends on how hard you are pushing the car. Cross drilled rotors vent gas like drilled, but are stronger. If you are using them for aesthetic purposes, than it probably doesn't matter because you will never use the brakes hard.
Old 2/6/06, 06:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Do ceramic pads squeak more?

I was reading StopTech's site and they said the ceramic pads produce less dust and have better friction characteristics. They cost about the same as the HPS pads, so what is the draw back?