GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Painted my STOCK rims...... ooooh yea!

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/05 | 08:25 PM
GT Member

those look pretty good , did you clearcoat them, or do they not need to be? Anyways, good work.
Old 8/1/05 | 08:34 PM
Bullitt Member

What are you going to do with all the money you saved?
Old 8/1/05 | 08:34 PM
Bullitt Member

double post?!
Old 8/1/05 | 08:35 PM
FR500 Member

Very nice. Much better than stock! good move.
Old 8/1/05 | 10:53 PM
V6 Member

Wow man,, they look really nice.. btw can u romove it later? and how?
Old 8/1/05 | 11:55 PM
V6 Member

nice job with that paint mang. original. looks good. do you have any pics before you painted? just curious to see what the before and after looks like side by side.
Old 8/2/05 | 04:56 AM
Cobra Member

Very nice - i love black out rims

-Bryan
Old 8/2/05 | 08:35 AM

Those look GOOD!
Old 8/2/05 | 09:28 AM
Cobra Member

I concour with everyone else. Nice job man.
Old 8/2/05 | 09:30 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

That Sonic Blue looks awesome with the black rims. Looks better with the lip unpainted.
Old 8/2/05 | 09:38 AM
GT Member

Wow...i was about to dump over a grand into wheels for my Black GT - and now think this is the way to go since they look so good! The cost is so minimal, that if I screw it up, I'll just back to plan B (getting new wheels).

GREAT MOD!! (and you've got ***** the size of Montana to sand and paint your wheels!!)
Old 8/2/05 | 09:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

WOW, that almost makes me wish I had the upgraded wheels (over the bullitts).

I'd bet they would look good on a black GT too, anyone else think so?

Anyone try painting the bullitts yet? Now I'm considering paint them gloss black given this information.

Great job!!
Old 8/2/05 | 09:58 AM
GT Member

Dubai:
No, you cannot remove the paint. I sanded the wheels with 1000 grit sand paper so the surface was textured enough for the paint to stick. That alont messes up the rims, so you can never go back.

Davebizzle:
I'll put up a few before pictures.

The paint I used was made for painting rims, so be careful on getting just a black paint or a typical gloss. I think this paint has high heat properties, since the wheels will get VERY hot from the brakes and all. I don't have a close up picture, but when you look at the rims closely, you can see metalic flakes in the paint and it looks like a powder coat or something. Very cool "matt finish" up close. I was really not too worried about painting these wheels since they are only stock and if I messed up, I could live with it. BUT, it is not hard to do and I wasn't really worried about messing up. I just painted them out in the hot sun and they dried almost immediately, as I moved over to paint the next wheel. The key is to go over the wheel in a very light coat in the begining. You want the first coat to stick perfectly and not have too much paint on there, since it is the foundation for your other paint to stick to. I just sprayed a light mist over them and repeated the process a few more times, then I started going slower and laying on heavier coats. This is really simple and you can all do it, I know. At times, I thought I had a little too much over spray in areas, but when the paint dried, the areas were not noticable at all. Very cool paint to work with. I have seen many other cars with the same color wheels, black/w silver lip and I got this particular color scheme with the white stripes and black wheels from the C4 Corvette Grand Sport. I think these rims would look good on any other color mustang. You may want to photo shop your car first with black wheels, to see if you want to follow through. I can't believe how cool it made my car look! One of my friends saw it and looked at me and the first thing he said was..... "Dude, you gave too much money to spend on that car..." I loughed and told him.... What, $12.00 is alot of money? and explained they were stock painted wheels. LOL! Looks really mean at night too....
Old 8/2/05 | 01:47 PM
Cobra Member

not bad at all.. Definate props to you for undertaking that job
Old 8/3/05 | 09:35 AM
V6 Member

You have inspired me.

I just got my Legend Lime back from getting black rally stripes and I think this will be a great addition!

How does the edge look where the paint meets the metal?
Old 8/3/05 | 10:43 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by OkieNGa@August 3, 2005, 9:38 AM
You have inspired me.

I just got my Legend Lime back from getting black rally stripes and I think this will be a great addition!

How does the edge look where the paint meets the metal?
Coo! Go for it!

The edge on my wheels look REALLY good. I took the time to make sure the lines were constant and the same on all 4 wheels. I used electrical tape and it was tedious, but the longer you take and the more patient you are, the better it will look. I spent about 10 - 15 mins each wheel masking off the outside lip. Just spend an afternoon at a nice slow pace and make it a project. I went fishing with my nephews while my paint was drying, but in actuality, the paint was dry about 10 mins after I painted them (it was HOT outside). Good luck man and post some pics if you do it! email me if you want any advise.... paul@holeshotfilms.com
Old 8/3/05 | 05:23 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally posted by Dubai@August 1, 2005, 11:56 PM
Wow man,, they look really nice.. btw can u romove it later? and how?
What's they saying about "Once you go black... ..." ?

-FROG-
I didn't like the upgrade rims because they looked just like what my mom's got on her CR-V, but like everyone else, I think those look really cool!

Good Job!

Even better choice leaving the outer rim silver. Someone else here sprayed their rims, but they did the whole wheel, and... ... let's just say yours look great!
Old 8/4/05 | 09:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

Looks very good. I still have my stock rims and my do the same. They will make a good road track wheel. :headbang:
Old 8/4/05 | 01:51 PM
GT Member

Paul, Saw your avatar on AAS this morning and wondered if you got new wheels. Then I just came across this thread. You are a brave man... but it came out awesome. Looks mean and more money to put toward other mods. Since we both live in south Austin I won't copy ya, I promise. I was already looking at some black wheels... this just confirms how good it looks. Way to go!
Old 8/5/05 | 03:03 PM

wow!!!!! looks great, Frog. I would to see more pictures of the entire car , especially a direct profile view, please, pretty please!!!!!

Quick Reply: Painted my STOCK rims...... ooooh yea!