GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Overrated?

Search this Thread

Old 8/23/07, 05:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Faber
that is not even a GT500 and they marked it up 85,000????? what dealer is this???
It *is* a GT500. I took the pic at Future Ford in Roseville, CA this past June.

My dreams of owning a triple black GT500 vert died a quick death once I saw THAT sticker...
Old 8/23/07, 05:08 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For sticker, it's a great deal. For $60,000 or more, you start getting into comparisons with Corvettes, 911s, and other more exotic cars that can compete and probably defeat the GT 500.

That being said, those who ***** about $42,000 and claim they can get more HP and performance for less money - go for it. I tend to think I am moderately educated as to how cars work and how to add mods, but even providing your own labor, the car's out of commission for weeks at a time, you have to gamble that you followed the installation instructions, there's the warranty issue . . . some people just like to pay for a finished product. For those who like to order parts and make it themselves, I have great respect for their projects and the creativity they put in. To each their own.

But really . . . how many of us can take THE PARTS of a Mustang GT for $15,000 on the condition that you have to put it all together yourself in your garage? They already have those (kit cars). I know I don't have the time or patience to do that!
Old 8/23/07, 05:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Faber
that is not even a GT500 and they marked it up 85,000????? what dealer is this???
oh crap, you're right! I didn't even notice that! Now that is truly ludicrous. I'd LOOOVE to meet the idiot rich guy who buys this!
Old 8/23/07, 05:18 PM
Bullitt Member

how is it not a GT500??? Did you not read the sticker

18x9.5 wheels
Brembo brake kit
GT500 Badging
SVT suspension
6 speed tranny

Old 8/23/07, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Benzito
For sticker, it's a great deal. For $60,000 or more, you start getting into comparisons with Corvettes, 911s, and other more exotic cars that can compete and probably defeat the GT 500.

That being said, those who ***** about $42,000 and claim they can get more HP and performance for less money - go for it. I tend to think I am moderately educated as to how cars work and how to add mods, but even providing your own labor, the car's out of commission for weeks at a time, you have to gamble that you followed the installation instructions, there's the warranty issue . . . some people just like to pay for a finished product. For those who like to order parts and make it themselves, I have great respect for their projects and the creativity they put in. To each their own.

But really . . . how many of us can take THE PARTS of a Mustang GT for $15,000 on the condition that you have to put it all together yourself in your garage? They already have those (kit cars). I know I don't have the time or patience to do that!
The problem with that argument is that a stock GT500 won't cut it for some of us... even at MSRP. So we'd still have to dump at least $10K - $15K into it anyway. I know I'd have to...

Old 8/23/07, 06:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think the GT500 is overrated even at MSRP because of what ford hyped it up to be when the S197 first came along. I distincly remember reading several articles about the new Cobra (before it was the GT500) and how it was going to be a "M3 Fighter" in terms of speed and handling... The current car is the result of massively lowered expectations. 500hp is not hard to get with 5.4L and a supercharger, it takes no effort or engineering whatsoever to get that much power from that engine (which was already developed).

For that extra 20k on top of a base mustang GT we should expect vast improvements in suspension, braking, reduced weight, and increased power (in just the same way that 20k above a base corvette gets you a
z06 with more power, but also weighs 300 lbs less than a base corvette). Instead we get a car that performs roughly equal to a 03-04 cobra that cost 10k less

At the current MSRP you can get a base corvette that will destroy a GT500 on a racetrack. If they set out to do it they could build a car that costs $35-$40k geared towards road racers (large brakes, IRS, weight reduction, etc) that could change all that.
Old 8/23/07, 07:30 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Overated? No.
Over priced? (with high ADMs) Yes.

JMO
Old 8/23/07, 08:21 PM
Bullitt Member

imo it's a great car but too heavy and the markups are silly.
Old 8/24/07, 09:46 AM
GT Member

Overrated? No.
Overpriced? Yes (with ADM).

What do you think the price would be if it wasn't a Shelby? If it were just an SVT Cobra? Would ADM change? How about MSRP?
Old 8/24/07, 03:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jpro
Overrated? No.
Overpriced? Yes (with ADM).

What do you think the price would be if it wasn't a Shelby? If it were just an SVT Cobra? Would ADM change? How about MSRP?
If it was an SVT cobra, I dont think anyone would have a problem getting it at an MSRP of about 40k.
Old 8/25/07, 02:13 AM

What some of you aren't getting is you can't compare the Mustang (Gt500 or otherwise) to the corvette. It's a different beast all together. The Mustang's competition is the Camaro. Compare the GT500 to the Z28 when it comes out.

Right now, it has no competition, so the dealers are going to charge crazy prices. I think that when the Challenger SRT and the Camaro Z28 come out, the dealers will stop charging such outrageous mark ups.
Old 8/25/07, 10:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BlackRod
What some of you aren't getting is you can't compare the Mustang (Gt500 or otherwise) to the corvette. It's a different beast all together. The Mustang's competition is the Camaro. Compare the GT500 to the Z28 when it comes out.

Right now, it has no competition, so the dealers are going to charge crazy prices. I think that when the Challenger SRT and the Camaro Z28 come out, the dealers will stop charging such outrageous mark ups.
The way most people see it, the Camaro Z28's competition is the Mustang GT, not the GT500. The base price of the camro Z28 will probably be around 30k, Mustang GT territory, not anywhere close to the $44k MSRP of the GT500.

The reason people compare Gt500 to Base corvette is that they can be had for about the same price (Corvette even cheaper if you factor in ADM's). As far as most of us concerned it's fair game to compare any two cars that cost the same.
Old 8/25/07, 12:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

The GT500 at sticker price is a great deal, no doubt about it. As someone else said earlier, where else are you going to get 500 HP out of a factory stock vehicle for just over $40K? Yes it's a porker, but it is inarguably fast out of the box, and is a GREAT platform to start with, regardless of weight. Now when you start to look at marked-up dealer prices though, that's another story. I'd be looking elsewhere if the only GT500's I could find were $60K instead of $40K...
Old 8/26/07, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by jedikd
The way most people see it, the Camaro Z28's competition is the Mustang GT, not the GT500. The base price of the camro Z28 will probably be around 30k, Mustang GT territory, not anywhere close to the $44k MSRP of the GT500.

The reason people compare Gt500 to Base corvette is that they can be had for about the same price (Corvette even cheaper if you factor in ADM's). As far as most of us concerned it's fair game to compare any two cars that cost the same.
Ok, compare the GT500 to the SS, but not the vette.

In my opinion, a vette is a very smooth and refined sports car where a mustang is a raw and rough muscle car. They are for 2 different types of people.
Old 8/26/07, 10:01 AM
GT Member

It depends what your goals are.

If you want to build 1/4 mile monster street/strip car, there's nothing that can touch it. ASSUMING you purchased one for sticker, you have a 500hp car. STOCK. With $1500 worth of parts, you suddenly have a 650hp car, that isn't going to break. It wasn't that long ago that Winston Cup cars made that much power and were not gauarenteed to last 500 miles, let alone get reasonable fuel economy and have functional AC and drive a big alternator to power a stereo and power accessories.

A stock GT 4.6L is about tapped out at 500hp from a reliabillity standpoint if you put a Whipple on it.

If you're looking for an M3 fighter or whatever....than it's the wrong car. It is an honest modern example of a late 60's musclecar. Only faster, safer, and more comfortable.

Besides, how many of you in daily driving are really going to have this thing at 10/10 where you're going to take advantage of the .30 of a second it might be losing on a roadcourse.
Old 8/26/07, 11:35 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Overrated -> No.
Overpriced -> Not at sticker but a big 'd' YES in the marketplace.

All valid points, though: The market for a thing tends to be viewed as its price, and not its capabilities or expressed purpose, at 45g-50g it really has no direct competition, over 50g and you're playing with a different crowd in a different neighborhood...

As a modern interpretation of a Shelby muscle Stang, yup, it succeeds in spades, ditto for a modern musclecar....

If you're going upmarket, the GT500 is a GT, not a sports car, sports sedan or anything like an M3 fighter, its more of an Aston in that territory than a Porsche, Ferrari or even a Vette. Its solid, well handling car with strong legs...its a fast car, not necessarily a quick one...and dam, I wish I could get one in my garage....
Old 8/26/07, 12:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DaddyJ

If you're going upmarket, the GT500 is a GT, not a sports car, sports sedan or anything like an M3 fighter, its more of an Aston in that territory than a Porsche, Ferrari or even a Vette. Its solid, well handling car with strong legs...its a fast car, not necessarily a quick one...and dam, I wish I could get one in my garage....
The M3 fighter comment I made just because that's what Ford said they were trying to make it. I view it as a dissapointment because they quickly backed away from that philosophy.