GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Oil Separator vs. (benefits?) of blow-by

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/07, 04:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mongoose
I have a Stef on mine after seeing an intake with over half cup of oil in it. Send me a PM with your E address and I'll send photos. I am not computer literate and do not know how to post here.

Hey Bill,

Email them to me............I'll post them.
Old 9/2/07, 05:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check post #13 and you can look at mine. His is probably the same except he might have used braided hoses. I can't seem to upload pictures from my computer at the moment.
Old 9/2/07, 06:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 94tbird
And you do not need to drain them regularly if you get a proper sized one. if you go with the steeda one you will be emptying it every night to 2 days. they fill that quick. gonig with the stefs unit #5128, i have not had to drain it yet in over 4 months.
So other than volume capacity, what gives the stefs unit the ability to go over 4 months without draining? If the Steeda bowl requires emptying every 2 days (15 times/mo), does the stefs unit store 60 times (15x4) the volume of the steeda... or does the oil slowly evap/get consumed over time sitting in the larger container? Thx.
Old 9/2/07, 06:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by DoctorQ
So other than volume capacity, what gives the stefs unit the ability to go over 4 months without draining? If the Steeda bowl requires emptying every 2 days (15 times/mo), does the stefs unit store 60 times (15x4) the volume of the steeda... or does the oil slowly evap/get consumed over time sitting in the larger container? Thx.
the material inside that seperates the oil for one. there is about 100x the material in the stefs vs the litle little piece in the steeda. the steeda one can only hold about a tablespoon of oil before it gets sucked through the tube, the stefs can prolly hold a pint.
Old 9/4/07, 12:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by GT John
Hey Bill,

Email them to me............I'll post them.
OK JOHN
Old 9/14/07, 10:01 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
A question?? Just messing around I installed a Kobalt (Lowe's) air/water/oil separator. The bottom of the separator is drawing a vaccum. The little **** on the bottom just opens and closes the drain. Is this right??? I can put my finger on the bottom and feel it. My boost gauge looks OK and my Oil pressure gauge reads fine. Is this normal??

Old 9/14/07, 10:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The problem with using an air compressor inline filter is that it may not be designed to handle the environment of an engine compartment. The OEM's use oil separators made of Zytel nylon and have passed thousands of hours of testing on shaker machines, cold chambers, etc... A Lowe's inline filter for a Campbell-Hausfeld air compressor was designed for room temperature operation as an inline air filter for an air compressor, not for a PCV oil separator in an engine compartment that sees -50F to +120F ambient (not including heat from the engine and exhaust manifolds).
Old 9/14/07, 02:03 PM

I just purchased a Stef's unit and cannot figure where to put it. I have a stock airbox and every place that I try it just doesn't fit. Any suggestions? Otherwise, I guess I will sell it.
Old 9/14/07, 02:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
there will be no performance gains, and no noticable difference in the engine whatsoever....

plus you have to deal with draining the catch can regularly, and they leak too.

thats my opinion
No performance gains, but protects against performance degradation by keeping the octane rating of your air/fuel charge more consistent.

My Moroso (essentially the same unit as Stef's) doesn't leak. Period. Drain it every 1500-2000 miles....not because I have to, but it seems like a good interval. the design of the Stef's/Moroso is such that the can would literally have to be full for oil to flow into the intake, and before that would happen, it would flow back into the crankcase via the "in" hose.

Originally Posted by 94tbird
Blow by oil vapor is NOT beneficial to performance in any way nor is it beneficial to the motor in any way.

The system is designed the way it is to enhance the emmissions of the vehicle by burning off the vapor in the combustion chamber.

By allowing the oil to follow this course you are reducing your octane rating of the gas, therefore making it more prone to pinging and knock.

Now on a N/A vehicle its not anywhere near as bad as it is on a FI car. on a FI car that degredation of your octane rating, especially at high RPM is not a good thing and can cause problems.

Some people suffer from this more than others.

And you do not need to drain them regularly if you get a proper sized one. if you go with the steeda one you will be emptying it every night to 2 days. they fill that quick. gonig with the stefs unit #5128, i have not had to drain it yet in over 4 months.

There wont be seat of the pants performance gains but your engine will run cleaner and that is a good thing. it also prevents fouling of the plugs and injectors if the car sits for a while
+1. Hello Ron!

Originally Posted by JerryP
I just purchased a Stef's unit and cannot figure where to put it. I have a stock airbox and every place that I try it just doesn't fit. Any suggestions? Otherwise, I guess I will sell it.
let me think about it for a while....I'll get back to you after the weekend...
Old 9/14/07, 08:38 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by dly
A question?? Just messing around I installed a Kobalt (Lowe's) air/water/oil separator. The bottom of the separator is drawing a vaccum. The little **** on the bottom just opens and closes the drain. Is this right??? I can put my finger on the bottom and feel it. My boost gauge looks OK and my Oil pressure gauge reads fine. Is this normal??

Thats the same one I used. I used JB Weld on the valve part in the bottom of the separator to seal the vaccum off. It probably isnt hurting anything but that little bit of vaccum is unmetered air going into the engine, thats why I sealed mine off. The temps should be fine the container itself is rated up to 200 deg and 150psi. I have had mine on for 2 weeks with 0 problems and I havent had to drain it yet. I have collected about 1/4 of the container in oil. For me this is a good thing because any oil that gets burned in the combustion chamber turns into carbon build up on the piston tops, valves and combustion chambers. This will cause pre-ignition, pinging, over a period of time which will kill our cars. They make our cars for everyday drivers that have very little mechanical knowledge. Why do you think the owners manual are written with such little detail. Its hard enough to get people to change their oil I really dont think they would remeber to empty a collection container. Besides if they would empty it dont you think alot of that oil would end up on the ground or in a drain because there is "just a little". If you look a 99% of all N/A pro cars they all have some sort of seperator. Not because of boost blow by but because of the ill effects of the carbon build up created by this burned oil.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Separator vs. (benefits?) of blow-by-100_0847-small-.jpg   Oil Separator vs. (benefits?) of blow-by-100_0848-small-.jpg  
Old 9/15/07, 09:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Any "Pro" cars that I know of do not have a vacuum line attached to the intake air stream. I've seen vacuum lines attached from the valve covers to the exhaust though. Although I don't know of many "Pro" cars that are running fuel injection either.
Old 9/15/07, 10:01 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
Any "Pro" cars that I know of do not have a vacuum line attached to the intake air stream. I've seen vacuum lines attached from the valve covers to the exhaust though. Although I don't know of many "Pro" cars that are running fuel injection either.
I was referring to classes like are running in the FFW shootouts. And I think most of these cars are fuel injected. The pro stock cars are not fuel injected and do not have a vaccum lines attached to the valve covers. They have a diffrent type of crankcase vent system. But what I was referring to is that they do not allow any type of oil to enter the induction system.
Old 9/15/07, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JerryP
Here is my install.

See pics. the hose from the PCV goes to the side fitting, the hose from the intake goes to the bottom fitting.

Since using the Stefs for the last 3 months the inside of thottle body no longer gets loaded with that black crap. (I'm sure there is a more scientific name for that stuff)

I retained the intake and PCV quick connects for ease of service.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Separator vs. (benefits?) of blow-by-p1000307-medium-.jpg   Oil Separator vs. (benefits?) of blow-by-p1000308-medium-.jpg   Oil Separator vs. (benefits?) of blow-by-p1000309-medium-.jpg   Oil Separator vs. (benefits?) of blow-by-p1000310-medium-.jpg  
Old 9/15/07, 03:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Having that ram cold air kit gives you alittle more freedom to run the lines without the bends. I just put mine back on yesterday and used NAPA 5/8 I.D. hose #H181. So far, so good!
Old 9/15/07, 08:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
Having that ram cold air kit gives you alittle more freedom to run the lines without the bends. I just put mine back on yesterday and used NAPA 5/8 I.D. hose #H181. So far, so good!
You should be fine with that.
Old 9/15/07, 10:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey Rich... what happened to the support spring you were going to install?
Old 9/15/07, 10:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

I am still going to install the Earl's inner support spring if Summit ever gets it in stock! Nobody has these on the shelf and I have been waiting for 3 weeks.

Did you ever buy a seperator?
Old 9/15/07, 11:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
or A/C?
Old 9/16/07, 11:55 AM
Bullitt Member

I am still going to install the Earl's inner support spring if Summit ever gets it in stock! Nobody has these on the shelf and I have been waiting for 3 weeks.

Did you ever buy a seperator?

Decided on the STEF's unit... I'm still looking for the ultimate hose that will stand up to 20-22in/HG of PCV vacuum.... can withstand high heat (~250 degrees)... and has good flexibility for turns (bend radius). Per Gates Engineering, looks like it will be the Gates MegaTech 250 (high temp transmission oil cooler (TOC) hose. Also branded Gates MegaTech 1000. Rated at 30in/HG; handles petroleum based fuilds from -40 to +300 degrees; 3" bend radius for 5/8" tubing; interwoven with high-tensile steel wire. Only problem is I can't find a source that will sell in feet (only need 5')... everyone wants to sell by the reel! I'll find one hopefully soon.
Old 9/16/07, 01:04 PM

After looking at some of the Stef's units, I could make it work if the drain was just below the intake hole. This way it would fit up by the master cylinder. I am going to ask them if I can exchange mine for one with the drain where it needs to be. One is at the eight o'clock position and it is just in the way no matter where I put it.

Quick Reply: Oil Separator vs. (benefits?) of blow-by