GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 1/9/06, 06:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right before putting my '05 away for the winter back in November I had the oil changed. I then put the car away. The oil only has maybe 50 miles on it. When I take the car back out in March should I have the oil changed right away b/c it sat for so long or am I ok to drive on it for a 3k miles like usual?
Old 1/9/06, 06:25 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, you should change the oil. Regardless of the mileage, the majority of oil brands still need to be changed every 3 months because they start to break down and become acidic.
Old 1/9/06, 07:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

I figured as much...just wasn't sure b/c of the fact that the oil is syntetic...figured it would be able to go a while after sitting.
Old 1/9/06, 08:17 AM
Cobra Member

I see no need to change that oil. Does the oil break down sitting on the shelf? What about all those new cars sitting on factory and dealers lots for months or over a year for that matter. Who is changing the oil on those vehicles? I think not. If changing makes you feel better after storage, do it, as far as any amount of breakdown the engine is not going to know the minuscule difference. I changed the GT’s for storage because I hit one year with 1,100 miles. Reaffirming the issue with someone most of us would highly except their professional opinion about my situation, I’m fine to drive it all throughout next season and change again for storage. Now I do just the opposite with the Cobra (825miles), due to timing I change it after storage and that is fine also. Do keep in mind, in these two vehicles the oils never come close to breaking down because of the low miles. Use is the major factor of breakdown.
Old 1/9/06, 09:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Your argument makes sense that the oil does not break down sitting on the shelf so why break down in the car. I guess I could leave the same oil in the car without causing any problems. When I had the oil changed right before storing the car I had it changed at the dealer (I could save money doing oil changes myself but I have the dealer do it to keep a close relationship with the service center and they overlook my mods). I told the dealer I would be storing it over the winter and they said they put an additive in the oil for storage. What they were talking about I am not sure. I add Sta-bil to the feul but as far as an additive for the oil who knows. They said to bring it back after the winter and they will change the oil again. That is what I will most likely do.

P.S. Your '05 is almost identical to mine except for the fact that mine is a manual. I have a Satin Silver GT with IUP, active anti theft, and the wheel upgrades.
Old 1/10/06, 07:28 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
um guys.......the reason it can sit on a shelf for years is because it is bottled in a plastic container that is sealed. An engine is not the same as a plastic bottle. Every time you drive the car, water is created by the combustion process. And some of that water inevitably gets into the crankcase and mixes with the oil. Under normal circumstances, the next time you really heated up the engine, the water in the crankcase would evaporate and be purged by the crankcase ventilation system. But since you rarely drive your car (or in this case, store it) water can build up in your crankcase. That is why they recommend that when you store a car in the winter you do not start it every now and then without driving it. The engine does not get hot enough to evaporate the water, thus condensation forms.With a mixture of oil and water in there instead of just oil, you could put 10,000 miles' worth of wear on the engine during your 1,000 miles of annual driving. The second problem with water is that it mixes with nitrates from the combustion process and forms acids. Those acids can attack metal parts of the engine and cause rusting and corrosion. Also keep in mind that when you do an oil change, you never get 100% of the old oil out of the engine. What is left has mixed in with your new oil.
Am I the only one that thinks it is cheaper to change the oil and have the engine last a long time, rather than replace the engine because of poor maintenance?
Old 1/10/06, 07:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

I definatly see your point and will change my oil as soon as I take the car out of my garage in March. Thanks for the tip!
Old 1/10/06, 05:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You still have to start it and bring it up to temp before you drain it right?
Old 1/11/06, 10:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by davids2toys@January 10, 2006, 7:13 PM

I would say its a good idea to get more oil from the system.

My cars in the past I have drained, refilled, ran 10 minutes, drained again. Just once in a while I would do this. (Oil at no cost for me)

Also take the oil gun and shoot about 1/2 quart or so into the drain plug hole to get any sediments that might be sitting on the bottom of the pan.

Sure its an extreme, but not a big deal for me to do.
Old 1/11/06, 12:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by davids2toys@January 10, 2006, 6:13 PM
I plan on running it before changing the oil, yes.
Old 1/11/06, 12:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by adrenalin@January 10, 2006, 7:31 AM
Am I the only one that thinks it is cheaper to change the oil and have the engine last a long time, rather than replace the engine because of poor maintenance?
Yeah - I'm with you. If you do it yourself, how much does it really cost? Maybe $30.00 for the oil and filter? Isn't that worth it?
Old 1/12/06, 08:07 AM
RPM
GT Member

Before starting the car up at the end of storage get one of those oil sample kits and send some in for analysis. The lab will tell you the condition of the oil and wheather it should be changed or not. Other things they will be able to report are the wear metals, presence of anti-freeze in oil, etc. Neat report. BTW, oil nowadays is a lot better and lasts a lot longer than it did many years ago. Many of us still have out of date oil change habits and beliefs.
Old 1/15/06, 11:01 AM
Cobra Member

If it’s a full synthetic, preferable choice, it’s good for a year in the engine, even if it sits for 4 - 6 months. It does not have the problems mineral oils do in terms of oxidation, breakdown of properties or acid build up. Yes condensation can be a problem, especially if it sits outside in the snow. If that is a big concern where you live you can bag your whole car, throw in a couple bags of desiccant and zip it closed until spring and you are good to go. If you have coolant getting into the crankcase you have more serious problems to deal with.
Old 1/15/06, 04:57 PM

A little off topic, but I work for a rental car company, and we change the oil on our cars by manufacturers recommendations to us. Fords every 5000 miles. All others 7500 miles, unless told otherwise. Therefore I think every 3000 is excessive. But then again our engines never go 3 months without seeing at least 5000 miles.
Old 1/15/06, 07:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by Bags2005@January 15, 2006, 7:00 PM
A little off topic, but I work for a rental car company, and we change the oil on our cars by manufacturers recommendations to us. Fords every 5000 miles. All others 7500 miles, unless told otherwise. Therefore I think every 3000 is excessive. But then again our engines never go 3 months without seeing at least 5000 miles.

Rental Companies also get rid of thier cars at low milages. I think most synthetic users are out for the longer haul.