GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Non Intercooled Whipple: Drawbacks?

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/07, 10:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To me the biggest drawback to the non-intercooler kit is the lack of the twin fuel pumps. You may want to stay at lower boost levels now but if you’re like the rest of us you will want to turn it up later on. If you want to turn it up at a later date you will be in the same position as Rob, having to add the GT500 pumps before you can increase the boost and still not having an intercooler. I would go ahead and get the intercooler version and run a smaller pulley if you want to keep the power down, this will put you in position to increase the power levels at a later date without having to redo your supercharger setup.

Earl
Old 5/3/07, 11:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Its the same cost either way. They sell the entire kit to upgrade it to the same exact thing as the I/C version. Kinda silly if you are going to just run it safe anyway. Personally I like the idea of over 400 hp with virtually no risk at minimum cost, and doing the 'pure' mods like al driveshaft and gears and still not overworking anything. If I feel like going supersonic I will just pick up a used R1.
Old 5/4/07, 06:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

"If I feel like going supersonic I will just pick up a used R1."

Or simply pick up a small jet aircraft from Ebay...

Old 5/5/07, 07:35 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non Intercooled

Anyone running (or think of running) non intercooled SC with FRPP or Fluidyne radiator and Meziere electric water pump?
Old 5/5/07, 10:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

Why would you need it?

The whole idea of the 'safe' non I/C is that you don't need to buy all the other go fast stuff big blowers need(cooling, fuel systems, clutch, etc). I'm picking up a 2010 and keeping both so I don't want a ton of stuff done to this one.

I'm going with the best mods for the buck for an improved street car: FRPP struts/springs, FRPP non I/C whipple, Baer 14" GT plus rotor kit using stock calipers with ss lines and upgraded pads, Bassani axle back, and AL driveshaft. Maybe gears, but thats about it.

I'm not spending 5 times the money for less then 10% improvement in suspension over the basic FRPP stuff. Did it before, not doing it again.
Old 5/5/07, 10:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
Can you clarify on this a little bit? Just curious... you like the FRPP tune better?

The alternative auto tune is what I ran before the Whipple was ever installed. I was saying the FRPP tune and the Whipple together are night and day difference from the C&L and a canned tune. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Also let me add this...................I would have rather had the intercooler, but I was trying to save $$$$$$$ and I got a hell of a deal from a guy who had the non-int. Whipple that wouldn't work on his 07 because the manifolds are different. His dealership wouldn't take it back because he got it in trade for body work he had done for them. They were being a$$ holes about it so he had no choice but to get what he could out of it. I got it for probably $1000-$1300 less than the cheapest place I could find which was Lethal Performance. This thing was still in the box (mint) and I called Whipple before the purchase and gave them the numbers just to make sure it was legit and not stolen or anything. So the non intercooled Whipple was not my first choice. It was the most convenient choice and the price was right. Even though I have an automatic I thought I'd still go intercooled, but when this one came along I just couldn't turn it down. I'm still happy with my decision and the car runs great.
Old 5/6/07, 09:21 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Rob, have you ever gotten a dyno to see how much you have at the rear wheels?
Old 5/6/07, 10:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

Mark,
from what I have seen most guys running inter cooled are around 450rwhp and breaking into the 11's, usually 11.89 or better.

Given the choice I would say go for the intercooled option! It might cost a little more but it is insurance for those hot humid Va days.

I to have changed my mind and have decided to go with the WHipple IC when the time comes. Man i miss Jenros, My Stang, VA!!!!!! Hopefully I'll get a chance to check out your ride when I am home in June.

Good luck Bro
Jesse
Old 5/6/07, 01:13 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Originally Posted by 2L8IWON
Mark,
from what I have seen most guys running inter cooled are around 450rwhp and breaking into the 11's, usually 11.89 or better.

Given the choice I would say go for the intercooled option! It might cost a little more but it is insurance for those hot humid Va days.

I to have changed my mind and have decided to go with the WHipple IC when the time comes. Man i miss Jenros, My Stang, VA!!!!!! Hopefully I'll get a chance to check out your ride when I am home in June.

Good luck Bro
Jesse
They had an autoshow on the VA Beach Boardwalk yesterday. 1 mile of MOPAR, Chevys, and Fords, including 30's-70's hot rods.

The IC crowd is wearing me down. May have to change my "FORD" Rocker stripe script to "G.T. 450" if I go with a intercooled whipple.

But I'll tell everyone the reason it's called a G.T 450 is because there's 450 inches between between my home office and my garage.
Old 5/7/07, 07:39 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by AFBLUE
But I'll tell everyone the reason it's called a G.T 450 is because there's 450 inches between between my home office and my garage.

Better watch out... Shelby might go after you for that one!

Hey Rob, how quiet is the non-intercooled blower?
Old 5/9/07, 01:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by AFBLUE
Rob, have you ever gotten a dyno to see how much you have at the rear wheels?
Not yet. Will have it done the first of June.
Old 5/9/07, 01:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by pville piper

Better watch out... Shelby might go after you for that one!

Hey Rob, how quiet is the non-intercooled blower?
Not as loud as I had hoped for. Maybe with Doug's tune and the 8lb pully it will be a little louder. I can definately hear it whine, just not as loud as I expected.
Old 6/8/07, 07:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Bassically after reading this thread. *im being repeatative* I can go non I/C for the time being a year or two down the road add a I/C upgrade kit and run 450rwhp+?

This kit having everything I need to run the new system?

Money, like with most, is a huge factor in deciding which system I'd like to run. Im a full time student so obviously my money has some set limits. Either way, this whipple set up seems to be the most mods freindly s/c. Easily upgradable.
Old 6/8/07, 09:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by JonCo
Bassically after reading this thread. *im being repeatative* I can go non I/C for the time being a year or two down the road add a I/C upgrade kit and run 450rwhp+?

This kit having everything I need to run the new system?

Money, like with most, is a huge factor in deciding which system I'd like to run. Im a full time student so obviously my money has some set limits. Either way, this whipple set up seems to be the most mods freindly s/c. Easily upgradable.
Yup The upgrade kit comes with the updated fuel components too for the bigger boost.
Old 6/8/07, 09:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
Yup The upgrade kit comes with the updated fuel components too for the bigger boost.
Anyone know of any good loans with lowe intrest rates?
Old 6/9/07, 08:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

After Doug's tune I'[m at 344 rwhp. Thats from a stock base line of 251 rwhp. I'm going w/ an intercooler and a 10-12lb pulley. Doug will be back again and I'll have him tune it again. I want 400+ rwhp