The Next Anti-Trumpet Experiment

Search this Thread

Old 1/27/06, 02:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don how those Magnaflows working out?
Old 1/27/06, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They pretty much negate the trumpeting, but I prefer something much louder. After I install the SC, I'm going to try the LMs one more time. If they still sound the same, I have a deal waiting to trade them for some Bassanis.
Old 1/27/06, 04:14 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by don_w@January 27, 2006, 2:22 PM
They pretty much negate the trumpeting, but I prefer something much louder. After I install the SC, I'm going to try the LMs one more time. If they still sound the same, I have a deal waiting to trade them for some Bassanis.
Don that would be the worst mistake if you got rid of your lm's. :nono: You should really think about a prochamber! I think it would take care of your trumpeting problem. Beacuse with my shorties, prochamber, and lm's it sounded really smooth through all of the gear's and rpm's. Remember how I said I was going to sell my shorties, well my buddy snatched them up and now I am on the hunt for some longtubes, any suggestion's? I hope that the longtubes don't cause the trumpeting, that would really suck!!
Old 1/27/06, 05:44 PM

Adam, I have heard from others that the Prochamber trumpets too. I'm not sure what to think now. I really wish I could hear it in person!! :bang:
Old 1/27/06, 06:35 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I really wish I could hear it in person!!

You will next weekend, if you can wait!
Old 1/27/06, 06:36 PM

Are you still going to have the shortys and no cats next weekend?
Old 1/28/06, 11:12 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally posted by don_w@January 27, 2006, 5:39 PM
Are you still going to have the shortys and no cats next weekend?
No cat's,? I never said that I had no cat's. I have the direct fit prochamber. That's probably why I don't hear the trumpeting. No shorties, already sold them for longtubes.
Old 1/29/06, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by max2000jp@January 26, 2006, 1:26 PM
Hey, you might find out that the cure for trumpeting is forced induction
Nope... it's not. Bummer. I stuck the LMs on and it is obnoxiously loud again, but the trumpets are back. Crap...
Old 1/30/06, 11:13 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

ah jeez, I hate to jump in to this discussion and throw a wrench in (no pun intended) but FYI

I have tried Bassani axlebacks, no mufflers (~LM's), bassani cat back, hi flow cats, no cats, stock cats, stock headers, and JBA shorty headers.

So far, this is what I have come up with-

The JBA shortys combined with no cats, bassani xpipe, and no mufflers is frickin awesome EXCEPT in the 2-3k rpm range. In that range, I got the ever popular trumpeting. Open Video

I put the hi-flow cats back on (still no mufflers)...and it definitly tamed the beast. Hi Flow Cats Much quieter...and absolutely no trumpeting. The video doesn't do it justice. Now, I am not sure if the differences between shortys and LT's could affect this....and especially if you put mufflers on (Bassani, Borla, Magnaflow, etc.); but I would think this would solve the trumpeting problem.

From my limited understanding and but spending several weekends testing and listening...the trumpeting is from a lack of restriction (duh). Think of it as an actual trumpet or horn...these S197 exhaust pipes are "tuned" so that when they are totally open...and the engine is running at 2-3krpm....you get that annoying sound.

More restriction = quieter, but less trumpeting.

My next endeavor will be to try taking off the cats...but putting bassani axleback's on (this putting the limited restriction back farther toward the tail pipes). So that set up would be shortys, xpipe (w/o cats), and bassani axlebacks. My guess is that the drone that is typical with bassani axlebacks in the 2-3k will trump (no pun intended) the trumpeting sound.
Old 1/30/06, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by SurfnSoCal@January 30, 2006, 10:16 AM
My next endeavor will be to try taking off the cats...but putting bassani axleback's on (this putting the limited restriction back farther toward the tail pipes). So that set up would be shortys, xpipe (w/o cats), and bassani axlebacks. My guess is that the drone that is typical with bassani axlebacks in the 2-3k will trump (no pun intended) the trumpeting sound.
When do you expect to try this? Do you have a set of Bassani axlebacks you're not using at the moment? I'd like to test them out with the LTs and hi-flow cats before I buy a pair of them.
Old 1/30/06, 04:37 PM
Bullitt Member

today i noticed that the trumpet sound didnt go away with the prochamber. its not as noticeable as before but its still there.. also when i revv it too high, this rattleling sound comes out.
Old 1/30/06, 09:35 PM
Big Falken Tires

Ricdh - I like the dog's reflection in your car! He looks all curious and confused at the same time when you lay on the throttle!
Old 1/30/06, 10:04 PM
3rd Times A Charm

I must ask...how bad is this trumpeting? I thought it was the same noise as what I was getting...but as this thread goes on, I get the impression that the "trumpeting" is unbearable to you.

I was getting a crazy rattling noise that turned out to be a defective set of Flowmaster American Thunders. I must have been under my car 4 or 5 times retightening everything to fix this rattle. I read this thread and thought this was the "trumpeting" noise you guys are getting.

I got my Flows replaced this past Saturday (FREE OF CHARGE, THANK YOU FLOWMASTER), and they sound great. I don't have the rattle at all. At 2400rpms and up it screams. No rattle, no nothin'. I think it comes alive from 2K and up.

Does anyone else have the Flows and O/R Pipe?

I've had my H pipe since...Dec 17th or so...Install Write-Up

I also have my "H" section welded. Do you guys?
Old 1/31/06, 05:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by S197 GT@January 31, 2006, 12:07 AM
Does anyone else have the Flows and O/R Pipe?

Yes, I had Flows with the the o/r h-pipe, but I took the Flows off for now.
I originally had Flows with a MAC o/r Prochamber, and it sounded too high pitched and raspy for my taste. Others may like that sound, but it was too ricey for me. Yes, with this setup I had the infamous "trumpeting" right at 2500 rpms. Keep in mind, it only does this at part throttle, under a load. So if you are sitting there revving it up you cant hear it, and likewise, when you take off from a dead stop and hammer the throttle through the gears, it does not make that sound. I took my Flows off because one of the baffles was rattling with the o/r Prochamber setup. I was running the Prochamber with the stock mufflers, and it didnt sound too bad, but not loud enough for me.
When brenspeed came out with the o/r h-pipe, I put this on...along with my new Flows that Flowmaster sent me free of charge. Low and behold.....the trumpets were there again. Same situation, right at 2500 rpms, only this time under full throttle they would make a shrill sound like the old glass pack mufflers (which I cannot stand) so I took the Flows off after one day. Now I am running the o/r h-pipe with stock mufflers and I am debating to put on my factory midpipe and the Flows and just have a pile of midpipes in my barn unless someone wants them. I guess that is the price you pay in experimenting with this stuff.
At least I know I'm not the only one who hears this sound. It sounded so sweet otherwise except for a couple seconds of diarrhea of the mufflers. Everyone has different taste in exhaust sounds, some may not ever notice it, but I know I do and apparently a lot of you guys do too. I wonder what can be done to resolve this??

Dont get me wrong...Brenspeed's o/r H is awesome! I could definitely feel an increase in power as well as with the MAC prochamber. My only issue was the sound.
Old 1/31/06, 07:53 AM
3rd Times A Charm

See I had a baffle rattling too. Do you think it has anything to do with the O/R pipes?
Old 1/31/06, 08:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by S197 GT@January 31, 2006, 9:56 AM
See I had a baffle rattling too. Do you think it has anything to do with the O/R pipes?

Could be. Maybe there is more force due to no cats? I dont know.

I wonder if that happened to anyone that has a set of Flows with the stock midpipe still on.
Old 1/31/06, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by chevy_slayer+January 30, 2006, 3:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chevy_slayer @ January 30, 2006, 3:40 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>today i noticed that the trumpet sound didnt go away with the prochamber. its not as noticeable as before but its still there.. also when i revv it too high, this rattleling sound comes out.[/b]

Thanks for the feedback. I was beginning to think that the Prochamber was not the answer for me, and you helped confirm it.

<!--QuoteBegin-holeshot
@January 31, 2006, 4:28 AM
Yes, I had Flows with the the o/r h-pipe, but I took the Flows off for now.
I originally had Flows with a MAC o/r Prochamber, and it sounded too high pitched and raspy for my taste. Others may like that sound, but it was too ricey for me. Yes, with this setup I had the infamous "trumpeting" right at 2500 rpms. Keep in mind, it only does this at part throttle, under a load. So if you are sitting there revving it up you cant hear it, and likewise, when you take off from a dead stop and hammer the throttle through the gears, it does not make that sound. I took my Flows off because one of the baffles was rattling with the o/r Prochamber setup. I was running the Prochamber with the stock mufflers, and it didnt sound too bad, but not loud enough for me.
When brenspeed came out with the o/r h-pipe, I put this on...along with my new Flows that Flowmaster sent me free of charge. Low and behold.....the trumpets were there again. Same situation, right at 2500 rpms, only this time under full throttle they would make a shrill sound like the old glass pack mufflers (which I cannot stand) so I took the Flows off after one day. Now I am running the o/r h-pipe with stock mufflers and I am debating to put on my factory midpipe and the Flows and just have a pile of midpipes in my barn unless someone wants them. I guess that is the price you pay in experimenting with this stuff.
At least I know I'm not the only one who hears this sound. It sounded so sweet otherwise except for a couple seconds of diarrhea of the mufflers. Everyone has different taste in exhaust sounds, some may not ever notice it, but I know I do and apparently a lot of you guys do too. I wonder what can be done to resolve this??

Dont get me wrong...Brenspeed's o/r H is awesome! I could definitely feel an increase in power as well as with the MAC prochamber. My only issue was the sound.
[/quote]

I'm with you. The trumpeting is unbearable and embarassing to me. My wife doesn't seem to mind it, but I can't stand it. So, it is definitely in the ears of the beholder. The LMs are coming back off today, and the Magnaflows are going back on. I'm going to try Bassanis next I think.
Old 1/31/06, 06:35 PM
3rd Times A Charm

I made a short video on my way home to show that I get no "trumpeting" at any rpm. It is 42 mb though and I don't know where I can upload it??? Anyone have suggestions?
Old 1/31/06, 07:06 PM
Cobra Member

Hey, S197GT, your appointment is 10:00am at Altered Speed correct? If I have to be at work at 12:30 I can hang out for an hour and have you listen to my exhaust setup. Maybe we could take some videos. There is a lot of open road over there though you have to look out for the police station thingy right outside there shop.

-Dan
Old 1/31/06, 08:48 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Anyone know how I can upload a 42mb video of my Flows/H Pipe combo?

Originally posted by Cleveland@January 31, 2006, 7:09 PM
Hey, S197GT, your appointment is 10:00am at Altered Speed correct? If I have to be at work at 12:30 I can hang out for an hour and have you listen to my exhaust setup. Maybe we could take some videos. There is a lot of open road over there though you have to look out for the police station thingy right outside there shop.

-Dan

I would love to. Yep, 10:00 at Altered Speed. I'll bring my camera!

I thought you lived in the Penninsula???

Quick Reply: The Next Anti-Trumpet Experiment