GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

New Wheels and Tires - will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/07, 03:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have that size combo with CT-R's.

The taller tires will jack up the rear end, and you will want to get lowering springs, otherwise the high center of gravity will affect handling.

WIth the less sidewall up front (changing from stock 17's) the front end turned in faster with less rollover, so it felt like it turned a little sharper.

With the taller sidewall in the back, it provided more flex for launches, much better traction, and got ride of a lot of wheel gap.

The panhard bar is for recentering your rear axle. You may need it, you may not. Stock, my car was centered, with Roush rear springs, it kicked the drivers side tire out 3/16".

The lowering springs also through out my pinion angle, getting it pretty much to zero, so adjustable LCA's moved the axle back and lowered the pinion angle back down, but, now the rear of the tires have rubbed on the inside of the fender, so I'll have to install the adjustable UCA to get the axle pulled back forward with the right pinion angle.

I love the look though, and glad I went with it, and was planning on getting adjustable LCAs, UCA, and panhard bar anyway.

Last edited by Hatchman; 3/7/08 at 05:09 AM.
Old 3/8/07, 09:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RadBOSS
I'll give it a crack

No. 1) considering manufacturing tolerance stack up (lowered or stock ride height), its very likely the rear axle housing is offset to one side or the other. If you run wide tires on the rear, with an adjustable panhard bar you can split the difference.

No. 2) When those wide lip 9" Bullits first came out, they made a mistake in the casting design and were selling the 9" for the fronts with a 1/4" inch spacer to make enough clearance for the caliper. Someone mentioned they have retooled and now maybe that is no longer a problem. But that claim needs to be verified.

As for the tire height difference, I have never heard of a 3% rule. I can imagine though that the ABS will be confused by the RPM difference front to rear, but there may be some bandwidth in the programing that will tolerate a certian amount of differential error before it tries to correct for it. A non ABS car would not care as long as the brake proportining front to rear was compensated for.

1. I agree
2. I didn't have to use spacers, I just bolted them right up and havnt had a problem. My rims are from American Muscle.

3. I've nailed the brakes pretty hard on the race track but have yet to have the abs come on. I think some paramaters can be changed in the tune to allow for different tire sizes front/rear to adjust for that.
Old 3/8/07, 11:40 AM
V6 Member

I want to thank everbody again for all their feedback. I'm ready to go ahead and order the wheels and tires (255/45/18 & 295/45/18). However, now that I've gotten to this point, it turns out that American Muscle is out of stock on the 18x9 deep dish bullitts (anthracite). I called them and they said that the wheels are on national backorder and they are not accepting any orders for them at this time (althogh it looked as if I could actually place an order for them online). I was also told that they don't expect any in until sometime this summer. I don't know if I should go ahead and order the 18x10's now and order the 18x9's later or just wait and not order anything until the 18x9's come in later (much later). I'd hate to wait to order the 18x10 only to find out that they end up being out of stock when the 18x9's eventually come in. On the other had I'd hate to order the 18x10's and then find out that something else happens and that I can't get the 18x9's later for some reaon and end up not being able to get matching front wheels?
Old 3/8/07, 11:55 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Discount Tire Direct online man - that's how I got my set-up

chrome DD 18 by 9 fronts, 18 by 10 rears with tires mounted and balanced for free - AND a lot more selction of tires that AM gives you...

Give it a shot

Old 3/8/07, 12:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KB9KHM
I want to thank everbody again for all their feedback. I'm ready to go ahead and order the wheels and tires (255/45/18 & 295/45/18). However, now that I've gotten to this point, it turns out that American Muscle is out of stock on the 18x9 deep dish bullitts (anthracite). I called them and they said that the wheels are on national backorder and they are not accepting any orders for them at this time (althogh it looked as if I could actually place an order for them online).
Been there, done that! My fronts showed up 2 months before the rears did. I had to go out to the garage every week, take them out of the boxes to reassure myself that one day, I'd have the 18x10's for the rear. I was at the tire shop 2 days after they showed up However they never told me that they were on "national backorder" though. That sounds pretty discouraging. I'd definitely check the link Burke0011 mentioned
Old 3/8/07, 12:56 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Burke0011
Discount Tire Direct online man - that's how I got my set-up

chrome DD 18 by 9 fronts, 18 by 10 rears with tires mounted and balanced for free - AND a lot more selction of tires that AM gives you...

Give it a shot

http://2005stang.com/gallery/albums/...l_PICT1899.jpg
Thanks for the tip! I was planning on purchasing the tires from Discount Tire Direct anway. I looked on their site, and I found deep dish chrome bullitts in 18x10, but no 18x9, and no anthracite. If anyone has a direct link, or another site, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I'll probably just place the order with American Muscle and play the waiting game. I will be like ordering my car all over again, except with no ERL to call every day to check on my order.
Old 3/8/07, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KB9KHM
Thanks for the tip! I was planning on purchasing the tires from Discount Tire Direct anway. I looked on their site, and I found deep dish chrome bullitts in 18x10, but no 18x9, and no anthracite. If anyone has a direct link, or another site, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I'll probably just place the order with American Muscle and play the waiting game. I will be like ordering my car all over again, except with no ERL to call every day to check on my order.
Why not 18x10s? A 295 on a 9" wheel is pushing it some, anyway.
Old 3/8/07, 01:44 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by don_w
Why not 18x10s? A 295 on a 9" wheel is pushing it some, anyway.
I'm planning 18x9 with 255/45/18's for the front, and 18x10 with 295/45/18's for the back. American Muscle has the 18x10's in stock, but the 18x9's are on 'national backorder'.
Old 3/8/07, 02:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

I say order the 10's now and wait on the 9's...

I doubt they will stop making them since they are so popular.... it's possible that some Chinese New Year thing held up production during feb and thats why they dont have any in stock.

(seriously... no joke... in side of the rims have a sticker that says "made in china")
Old 3/8/07, 02:34 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 06GTwJUICE
I say order the 10's now and wait on the 9's...

I doubt they will stop making them since they are so popular.... it's possible that some Chinese New Year thing held up production during feb and thats why they dont have any in stock.

(seriously... no joke... in side of the rims have a sticker that says "made in china")
I went ahead and placed the order on-line. The website didn't prevent me from ordering the 18x9's, so I just included those in the order. I'll play dumb and call them up in a couple of weeks and ask what's up with the 18x9's that I ordered.

I've got a set of Corsa axle-backs coming in a few days, so I'll have something to distract me from waiting on the wheels ... well for a while anyway.
Old 3/8/07, 06:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Could you explain what you mean when you say you polished your calipers and didn't need spacers anymore?

I have the DD 18X9 bullitts from AM and I haven't put them on yet, I don't want any unexpected problems with needing spacers.

Also hey Burke0011, you have these wheels- do you have spacers?

thanks,

tom
Sure, basically I wanted to polish the calipers anyways so when I got done I threw the wheels back on without a spacer and they fit. It was very close before anyways. I thought polished calipers with chrome wheels would look good. Used a dremel and a little hand sander.
Old 3/8/07, 09:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 06GTwJUICE
I dont think these days the "% diff" means much. Back when suspensions were crap and cars handles like they were accidents waiting to happen, yes it probably made a big difference.

Go for it.

a lot of us have that combo and have suffered no ill affects.

The 3% rule has to do with the braking and the possibility of throwing off the abs system. Doesn't mean it will, just that there is a possibility.
Old 3/16/07, 02:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks.................good info!
Old 3/17/07, 04:55 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Here's a picture of mine 265/40/18's on a stock rim. Not much of a sidewall issue.

Attachment 21818
Attached Thumbnails New Wheels and Tires - will this work?-dscf0304-1500x1100.jpg