GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

New Torque Converter Installed

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/07, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Torque Converter Installed

In case you haven't read it elsewhere, my Art Carr torque converter had not been working right for many months. Lately, it was getting worse, so I decided it was time to replace it. I ordered a new 3500 rpm stall PI triple disc a few weeks ago.

Early last week, Adam at S.T Motorsports pulled the trans and found out that the old TC had a bad bearing and it had hurt the front pump of the trans. Adam sent it to Tony at Larry's Transmissions. Tony checked it over, and other than the front pump, it looked pretty good. He did install a lockup solenoid and a couple boost valves, to increase performance some.

After getting the trans back from Tony, Adam installed my new PI 3500 TC, and spent a lot of time dialing in my daily driver tune. He did all the tuning on the street, which allowed him to nail it dead nuts, IMO. The car feels much better on the street. Even with a 3500 stall, the drivability is excellent. But, from a dead stop, even the M&H drag radials are "tractionally challenged" a little bit. I'd hate to even think what street radials would do back there.

And for anyone who still wants to call this auto tranny a "slushbox", you might want to go for a ride with me first... the shifts are quick, precise and firm. So far I'm loving it. I can't wait to see how it runs at the track tonight!

Thanks again to Adam and the boys at ST!!
Old 7/20/07, 10:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Don I have wanted to ride with you since you mentioned it last year!!
Old 7/20/07, 10:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed. Anyone who calls these trasmissions a slush box has NO idea what they are talking about. Automatic transmission technology has come further in the past 10 years than it did in the previous 30. The 5R55E with it's 5 close ratio gears and lock up converter is light years ahead of the old 2 and 3 speed autos that deserve to be called slush boxes.
For most poeple all that's needed to really dial these trasmissions in is a computer program to improve the shifts and a high stall speed in the converter.
Old 7/20/07, 11:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Don,
Get her into the 6's tonight!!
Scott
Old 7/20/07, 11:54 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 281GT
Agreed. Anyone who calls these trasmissions a slush box has NO idea what they are talking about. Automatic transmission technology has come further in the past 10 years than it did in the previous 30. The 5R55E with it's 5 close ratio gears and lock up converter is light years ahead of the old 2 and 3 speed autos that deserve to be called slush boxes.
For most poeple all that's needed to really dial these trasmissions in is a computer program to improve the shifts and a high stall speed in the converter.
Right On brother !............
Old 7/20/07, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Don I have wanted to ride with you since you mentioned it last year!!
Let me know if/when you plan to be in San Diego!

Originally Posted by 281GT
All I would add to that is to make sure you get the correct converter. Some work better than others.

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hey Don,
Get her into the 6's tonight!!
Scott
Oh you know we're going to give it a helluva shot! There are a few variables to consider... weather and DA (it's summer and the track is at 1700 feet); traction (prep is usually good there, so hopefully we'll be fine), and the new anti-squat brackets (I'll be in testing mode, so they may not yet be set up correctly). If there is too much anti-squat, I might not get the weight transfer I need. But, I'm hoping it's close enough.
Old 7/20/07, 01:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just asking, not questioning you - why such a high stall speed with F/I?

I recently removed my TCI SSF due to the lockup clutch slipping - found that on the dyno. I'm looking at a 2800 RPM stall speed PI triple plate converter for my daily driver.
Old 7/20/07, 05:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
3500 stall does it chirp from every light?
can I get better crisper shifts with out installing a tc?? If so how?
Old 7/20/07, 05:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Glenn,
I can't tell from your signature if you are running a tune for your auto. There are 3 or 4 guys that do great auto tunes. I have experienced 2 of the 4. So far I like Lidio's from Alternate Automotive tune the best. I can chirp 2nd and 3rd with stock tires with his tune. Only 2nd with my 275 Nitto's. You need to get a tune that turns off all of Ford's torque management B.S. Long before you think about getting a TC'er
Scott
Old 7/21/07, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by tmcolegr
Just asking, not questioning you - why such a high stall speed with F/I?

I recently removed my TCI SSF due to the lockup clutch slipping - found that on the dyno. I'm looking at a 2800 RPM stall speed PI triple plate converter for my daily driver.
I wanted to be able to launch at a higher RPM... so far it's seems to be working great. No drivability issues on the street, and I really like the way it launched at the track last night: Video: Getting’ It Up
Old 7/22/07, 08:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A stall is probably the best mod any Auto car can get. I can definately say for sure I love the GT's Auto 5 speed. Buddy at work has a CS/GT and I love the way it sings through the gears. Congrats on the stall. looks good launching.