GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

New Mods : Stall Converter = New Problem

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/08, 05:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mods : Stall Converter = New Problem

Hi.

Went to the track today. ok it was a little hot and cloudy, heavy weather. But i was waiting much more for my 60". Yeah it was my first day on track since a while and peharps i have to learn my new mods. (MSD + TCI + Delete plate).

Here are my today's time.

60" 1.913
1/8 8.285
1/4 12.921@106.646

60" 1.954
1/8 8.368
1/4 13.01@107.09

60" 1.924
1/8 8.32
1/4 12.95@106.969

This one without the 2step, see below.
60" 1.964
1/8 8.376
1/4 13.01@108.59

My car.
2005 Auto.
UDP
Full steeda CAI
Motion Plate delete.
Off Road Mac Pro Chamber.
Corsa
UCA
LCA
Front sway bar delete.
Street Fighter TCI 3000 Stall
MSD Launch Master
15x10 Weld with 26x10x15 ET Drag.
94 Race Bamachip tune.

My Previous best was
1.901/8.276/12.90@109.693 with CAI UDP, Corsa. Stock tire. 4.10 (ok it was very cold in october).

What is bothering me is my 60". They sucks a lot.

Here are some strange fact :
- After mounting my wheel, i brake hard, put the car in D and try to find the point where my car would start to move for setting up my MSD. Actually the car didn't move but around 3000/3100 tires start to spin slowly.
So i set up my MSD to 2900 and put my race tune (yeah i know it was an error but shouldn't have change as following

On the first stage as soon as went woot with the msd on the car moved slowly on the line. So i put the MSD at 2700. Second stage. the same. So i went to 2400 there it was ok (peharps it's 2600 or 2500 don't know the exact point, i was alone, pretty hard to watch every wheel and the rpm at the same time, so i stayed at 2400 to be sure).

Thinking there may be a problem with the msd i tried my last run without the MSD on, starting from idle and going to WOT.
My tire pressure is at 19. Didn't feal/hear any spinning. But alone in the car with the helmet it's hard to say. For sure with a 60" like that... i tried to set it at 17 and the car moved from left to right at launch.

- Another strange thing. The burnout. I was unable to maintain 6000rpm more than 2 sec. if i continue the rpm drop to 0. So as soon as i saw my rpm dropping, i released totally the throttle and the line lock. but every time, while my car was moving the rpm went to 0 and the engine died. Didn't have that kind of problem before.

Did i miss something about the usage of the Stall, a tune problem, gremlins ?

Any idea thanks ?

UPDATE : Found that my perf tune was not set for the 4.10 speedo was completly off. (i use a perf tune daily and the race tune only on track). Wonder if the race have the same problem and what does that change other than speedo and what other things is wrong in my tune.

Emailed my problem to doug 3 days ago but no response for the instant.
Old 7/1/08, 12:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The speedometer has to be set correctly, or else the car will shift at the wrong times. Get that fixed before you do anything else. The weather in October was far superior to a few days ago, as you noted. Weather plays a HUGE role in a car's performance at the track. I'm assuming (and hoping) that you have the traction control turned off when racing. If you try heating the tires with a burnout with the traction control still on, and while you can spin for a second or two, the computer will pull timing & fuel, and that may be why your car stalled. Double check your tune to be sure that traction control is not on (or check the button on the dash). Lastly, I know nothing about how the MSD Launch Control works, so maybe there's a problem there? I would contact MSD's tech support line directly to be sure you're using it as intended, or whether the unit itself is defective?

Last edited by Five Oh Brian; 7/1/08 at 09:14 PM.
Old 7/1/08, 04:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the answer.

Yeah i know that weather can hurt your time. But with a stall+4.10+slick i was hopping a lot better 60ft.

I have to check if my race tune is also set wrong for the 4.10. And also i have to check the TCS. On my DD tune the TCS is off by default so i don't bother with that, but perharps it's not off with my race tune. I don't think so, but i could check.

I will try again this week end if it doesn't rain... again.
Old 7/1/08, 06:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by enitalp
Thanks for the answer.

Yeah i know that weather can hurt your time. But with a stall+4.10+slick i was hopping a lot better 60ft.

I have to check if my race tune is also set wrong for the 4.10. And also i have to check the TCS. On my DD tune the TCS is off by default so i don't bother with that, but perharps it's not off with my race tune. I don't think so, but i could check.

I will try again this week end if it doesn't rain... again.

That was going to be my first question to you. "is your TCS OFF" That is what it sounds like to me.
Scott
Old 7/2/08, 02:24 PM

I dont understand why you need the MSD? I launch off the foot brake and get 1.60s every time with stock suspension.
Old 7/2/08, 09:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Checked the race tune today. Speedo is ok, so 4.10 is correctly set on this tune, and tcs is off by tune.

Old 7/3/08, 11:04 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
OK then, it's likely the huge swing in weather between October (when you said it was VERY cold) and now (hot and humid). The density altitude shoots way up when it's hot and humid, while it drops way down on very cold days. Plain and simple, the higher density altitude robbed you of a lot of power. I've seen swings of a .5 second and several mph in trap speed in the 1/4 mile going from very cold to very hot days at the track. Wanna see how density altitude changes results at the track? Click on this link...

http://www.modulardepot.com/density.php

Also, keep in mind that a loose converter will help your ET, but may result in lower mph through the traps, unless you have the lock-up tuned correctly so that the car pulls hard at the end of the strip.

I bet that if you left your car alone and went to the track on a very cold day like last October, you'd be pulling 12.50's @ 110 mph in the 1/4 mile. 60' times would easily be 1.8's all day with some 1.7's, too, on a very cold day.
Old 7/4/08, 06:37 AM
Bullitt Member

I totally agree that my time will be better with a cold weather, i know that with the hot and the humid weather we have now my time are hurt.

But that doesn't not explain my burnout problem. Next week i will go to the track and try with my performance tune instead of the race tune, to see the time difference and if the car still die doing a burnout.