GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

New Granatelli Coil packs?

Search this Thread

Old 6/24/06, 11:53 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Granatelli Coil packs?

They claim it gains some HP. Is this just a pipe dream or does it really work?

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...812CPsmall.jpg

They bolt right in place of the stock coil packs and I know MSD has performance increase by a hotter spark.

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...connectors.htm

Any thoughts
Old 6/24/06, 01:05 PM
RPM
GT Member

This product has been discussed before. IMHO, I don't see how a different coil can improve power in a N/A car that much. The stock system must be really sh!tty, which it isn't. In a modified motor, boosted or sprayed then that is a different story.
Old 6/24/06, 01:09 PM
Cobra Member

I just ordered them from LFP for $349 shipped (For being a member of modularfords.com). I have heard a lot of good things about them from "real" people who have dynoed them. The gains I have read have all been on S/C applications as that's where they are the most help. The best way to make gains with them is to run a larger gap on your spark plugs. I will go from .032 (HTO Plugs) to .038 - .040. The Granatelli coils provide a lot more volts with 0 resistance to prevent spark "blow out" witch is what happens when you have larger gaped plugs in a S/C application. By allowing you to gap out your plug's you gain horse power...They say you can gain up to 15 HP on a N/A car but I haven't seen it personally, not saying they won't. This seems to be a much better "real" performer compared to let's say the Billet T/B's or spacer's...IMO I'll see for myself shortly.
Old 6/24/06, 08:16 PM

I definately felt more crisp power just running normal.have not tried with the Nitrous yet.But i am going to the Dyno soon to tune everything.
Old 6/25/06, 05:30 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mikem
I definately felt more crisp power just running normal.have not tried with the Nitrous yet.But i am going to the Dyno soon to tune everything.
Hi m8

Are you running an NA car? If so you saying it feels quicker with the Granatelli COPs fitted?

What did you do just fit them or did you adjust your spark plug gap too in order to get more BHP?

Thanks

Andy
Old 7/8/06, 10:13 PM
Former Vendor

Without jinxing myself, our coils have been very well received. This is no gimmick. Everyone that tries them say the same thing. Better idle, smoother running and YES more power. Sure they have been dyno proven on tons of forced induction motors and YES they will always make more power (increase I mean) when the ignition is taxed more – like in the case of supercharging, turbo or nitrous. On a stone stock motor, you are probably correct on the first dyno pull the stock stuff can hold up. Now keep the hood shut and make six pulls in a row with the stock stuff. The stock coils have no endurance. They heat soak and wimp out. The GMS coils will continue to output the max voltage required over and over.

MSD has tested our parts on their dyno and have had the same results as all of you.

We have several customers with beefy N/A high compression engines that report power increases over the stock coils day in and day out
Old 8/8/06, 06:59 PM
Former Vendor

Just Dyno tested a Ford Gt with our Coils and Wires

This car has a Kenne Bell 18 PSI blower snout and a Fuego re tune. The car was brought to us with the snout already installed so I never got to dyno it stone stock. He putted it in and we wrote a tune for it. After we got it dialed in we then did the coil install with wires - they are the results

16hp and 28 ft/lbs

Old 8/17/06, 12:17 PM
Former Vendor

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/video14.htm

here is the video back up