GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

New Cams from Comp Cams, available sort of....

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/06, 06:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys,

The new cams are availble from Comp Cams now. The price break down is like this...

Cams .... $699.00
Springs... $288.96
Retainers.... $74.88

There are 4 different off the shelf grinds in which I can get some more information on soon. I do have my own special grind as well. The hold up is a bit of quality controll, they didn't put the timing index slot in the rear of the cams so they are being installed as we speak so they are available but not shipping yet.

As for HP gains I wont quote a thing until I've seen them for myself, I have a set on order for me and as soon as they arrive they will be installed and tested. They will REQUIRE new springs and retainers as the stock springs wont hold more then about .450 lift, the smallest lift of any of these is around 470, like I said i'll get some more complete number and post it later on.

Unlike the Crane cams they have all the geometry corrert and wont require tuning to run without hitting the pistons because of the VCT. They will work with VCT as that was one of their main goals to ensure they would. Now, this doesn't mean they wont' require tuning as with the earlier cars I've tuned with cams they will barely idle with them and when they do get tuned they pick up excellent power because of the increased amount of timing made possible from them.

I will be offering a package deal with my cams or any of the above offered for $1049 plus shipping for the cams alone. With a tuner and tune $1499 but this would have to be for a car limited to bolt on mods. If you have ported heads or some type of Forced induction then unless you come to me for the dynotune I can't make your tune.

Please, like I said they are still out for a bit so they aren't truly available yet but that is the pricing and information I have upto now. I will post more when I get it.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 3/9/06, 06:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Well this is definitly good news!!!!

*starts saving*

thanks for the info
Old 3/9/06, 06:51 AM
Bullitt Member

doug.

thanks for the onfo! keep us posted on power #s

also, non of the grinds have valve clearence issues?

and the price isn't as scarry as i thouht it was going to be( the carb on my race car was a grand! )

jay
Old 3/9/06, 06:54 AM
V6 Member

Cool. Looks like cams are finally here...almost. Doug, any plans of offering a 'super' package containing a CAI, tuner, tune, and cam package? It would be great for those of us ready to mod to get it all at once. BTW- what is different about your custom grind? I understand if you cant provide details yet...just curious. Looking forward to some dyno tests!

Tilt
Old 3/9/06, 09:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Absolutly great news....to bad you wont have them by our Sat dyno time [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

Looking forward to meeting up!
Old 3/9/06, 09:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

yeah, could we get more info on the different grinds? and where does your grind come into play?

I am looking for the most aggressive cams I can get for an NA motor.
Old 3/9/06, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emperorjordan @ March 9, 2006, 9:02 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
yeah, could we get more info on the different grinds? and where does your grind come into play?

I am looking for the most aggressive cams I can get for an NA motor.
[/b][/quote]
quoted simply because that is what i wanted to know

however, what would the pros/cons of getting either the least aggressive or most aggressive grinds avail?

also, what do you think intallation charges will be considering the complexity of the VVT?

edit:
will it be possible to do cams, then later do PP heads, assuming retune on a dyno after each?
Old 3/9/06, 11:50 AM
FR500 Member

Doug, will your $1049 package include tuning for the cams... say if someone already has an XCal and uses you for their tuning? Or will there be an extra tuning fee for that?

I am also curious to know what your best guess is as to the cost of installing these cams. And are you personally able to install them? I might make a special trip to Alabama if you can. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/9/06, 11:53 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Bump for some good questions that I would like to know...
Old 3/9/06, 01:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

one more question to my others.... the stage 3 cams, or whatever your most aggressive NA ones are..... will a CAI and or high flow mid pipe be REQUIRED?
Old 3/9/06, 03:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

ok really really really noob question- (shudders)

Installing a new cam.....will change the sound of the motor right? the idle and such.......and the exhaust?

if so....can you describe how? Beside power gains......any other benefit? risks?
Old 3/9/06, 04:31 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SurfnSoCal @ March 9, 2006, 5:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
ok really really really noob question- (shudders)

Installing a new cam.....will change the sound of the motor right? the idle and such.......and the exhaust?

if so....can you describe how? Beside power gains......any other benefit? risks?
[/b][/quote]

(the readers digest version)

the idle will change depending on how much overlap the cam has.( rumpity...rumpity ect)

it may be a little louder at wot, uless you also up the compression ratio alot the car wont get that much louder.

the main reason you would change the cams would be for more power.

jay
Old 3/9/06, 04:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

ya, I want the car to have that rumpity, rumpity sound....like a rough idle....old school style.
Old 3/9/06, 04:48 PM
GT Member

I would be intersted in seeing the torque curve for the grinds. This mod engine with VT & the Spanish Oak is like nothing I've known before....

That said.. I would love the TOUGH loaping at idle sound of the days past... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]

heck more than banana's !!! Let's get this guy out !

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dancedood.gif[/img]
Old 3/9/06, 05:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

yeah, SurfnSoCal, truth be told, i am about to spend a grand on this and the main reason is not the power gain, but I want that mean glub glub glub idle that agressive cams give you. I am such a loser, I am going to spend $1000 just for that. to me the power gain is just a side effect.
Old 3/9/06, 05:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emperorjordan @ March 9, 2006, 7:06 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
... I am such a loser, ...
[/b][/quote]

From the looks of your Avatar, you can't be too much of a loser . . . . . . . . [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

The Boss Hog
Old 3/9/06, 06:09 PM
Bullitt Member

any updates doug?
Old 3/9/06, 06:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emperorjordan @ March 9, 2006, 7:06 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
yeah, SurfnSoCal, truth be told, i am about to spend a grand on this and the main reason is not the power gain, but I want that mean glub glub glub idle that agressive cams give you. I am such a loser, I am going to spend $1000 just for that. to me the power gain is just a side effect.
[/b][/quote]

+1 [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 3/9/06, 07:08 PM
Bullitt Member

[/b][/quote]

haha me too

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 3/9/06, 07:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

lol, ok so maybe I am not such a loser, or maybe we are all losers.... at least I am not alone.

Quick Reply: New Cams from Comp Cams, available sort of....