GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Need some feedback from auto owners.....

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/06, 03:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The OD button is there with a purpose: to be used. I know I do keep it off when I'm driving in the city.
Doug, I say you make the OD shift at 60 mph an option.

On another note, I'm very curious about this new auto tune. Like Juice said it above, an improvement in the downshift is more of a current interest right now for us, auto guys. I'm sure you can solve this problem too, Doug!
Old 10/16/06, 05:31 AM

Doug
You just sent this new tune to me the other night. I think that you should set it at 50 mph. My question would be to adjust from that 50 MPH can the xcal2 adjust it up or down 10 mph? If this is possible let everyone fine tune there desired MPH.. Just thinking.... I know i like this tune a lot its kinda of similar to my 7.3L diesel tunes from DP tuner.

Doug anyone that purchases one of your tunes will be happy no matter what. Maybe a poll can be started to see what everyone on this website would like it to shift into OD at...

thanks
Mike
Old 10/16/06, 11:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Here's my 2 cents:
I've played around with my shift schedules for about 2-3 years. I've tried it SCT's way with the recommended RPMs for better gas mileage and it always felt too high (RPM-wise). I tried re-tuning it myself to no avail.

I finally decided to get the best of both worlds. Use the OEM/factory shift schedule for TP under 300, and tweak everything above 300 TP (WOT, etc...) This worked extremely well.

FWIW I let the 4R70W shift into OD in speeds as low as 30 mph (OEM). There is no harm in doing this. What harms the OD band is WOT shifts into OD (100+ mph) and frequent 3-4/4-3 hunting which is not a problem on the 4R70W. My 1980 AOD does the 3-4/4-3 hunt so I must lock it out (shift into "3"). If the operator needs to lock out OD for whatever reason (towing, climbing a steep hill), he/she can use the button.

After Katrina, I am no longer interested in non-87 octane tunes. I need to know my car can safely run on the cheap 87 octane stuff in case a natural disaster strikes or zombies are chasing after me and 94 octane is not available.
Old 10/16/06, 01:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Doug, I like the idea of having the od off till 60mph and was wondering if it was set that way on my new tunes you loaded for me? If not would e-mail me the tunes with it turned off till 60?

Thanks David
Old 10/16/06, 01:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Doug,
Use this info for what it's worth. I have your competitions 93 octane tune for my auto and the O.D. doesn't kick in until 67 mph on the button. With stock gearing it seems just perfect to me. None of that lugging around in OD.
Scott
Old 10/16/06, 03:29 PM
FR500 Member

Now that I have 4.10's in my Auto, it won't shift into 5th until I'm well over 50 now, so it's pretty rare I fiddle with the button anymore. The only time I use the button to turn it off is at the track, and carving desert canyons.

Previously with the stock 3:31's I would religously turn OD off in the city, and when carving canyons, I'd be manually shifting 3-4 quite a bit.
Old 10/16/06, 03:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RAGE91169
60 does seem a bit high i torn on OD around 50-55 just to keep the noise down
I've been giving this a lot of thought. I am currently running Dougs Beta tune #3 (as shown in my earlier post)

I agree that the shift into 5th should be as you state. Right now the GT is shifting at 65mph into 5th. I have to break the speed limit to get into 5th. (its 60mph on 270).

Closer to 55 than to 50 would be alright with me.
Old 10/16/06, 05:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok guys, the 60 and below OD's have it. I've retuned three sets of tunes today just because the guys one and only complaint was the OD shift point. These were people that were totally unaware that I had a different tune in there as they were new customers.

I really appreciate everyone's commnets and suggestions. Funny story, other then some of the guys input I get I also hear suggestions from people who have other tuners tunes about what they like about the other tunes and my tunes and how they'd like them combined. The 60mph plus OD shift was one of the main things I've heard people like from another " AUTO " tuner. Still, I've only heard it from a few customers and even the ones that did want it were happy not having it as long as they had the rest of my tune.

I think I'll just leave it out unless It is requested. The one thing I really like about this tune, if I could really call it one thing, is the fact that you can drive you car to the dyno and pull on the rollers and do a dynopull without having the converter lock and unlock at 4800 rpm's. Of course then there's the instant power to ground of the locked converter in nearly every gear, makes for a nice power delivery.

I truly appreciate everyones input on this as I know what I like but it may differ from the majority and they are the ones I'm here to please. This is why I'm asking these questions, to improve my tunes for you guys.

These features will now be installed in EVERY automatic tune I make, for ANY octane.

Thanks!! Doug.
Old 10/16/06, 05:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Doug904
These features will now be installed in EVERY automatic tune I make, for ANY octane.
:danc edood:
Old 10/16/06, 06:07 PM
V6 Member

So can we get our tunes updated or do we have to buy a new one?
Old 10/16/06, 09:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by zipperhead
So can we get our tunes updated or do we have to buy a new one?

If you've purchased tunes or a tuner from me then I'll glaldy update the tunes you have now for free. Now please note that with that being said once this gets out I will have 100's of emails asking for tunes so please be patient in your requests and include either ALL of your vehicle info along with the tune requests OR your previous order number if you have one.

Once you buy a tune(r) from me you always have my full support.

Thanks! Doug.
Old 10/16/06, 09:13 PM
GT Member

If you've purchased tunes or a tuner from me then I'll glaldy update the tunes you have now for free. Now please note that with that being said once this gets out I will have 100's of emails asking for tunes so please be patient in your requests and include either ALL of your vehicle info along with the tune requests OR your previous order number if you have one.Once you buy a tune(r) from me you always have my full support. Thanks! Doug.
That's very generous Doug, especially since you probably will get bombarded! I was expecting at least an upgrade fee. But just so you know if you did change your mind and charge a fee I wouldn't mind paying for it if that was the case.
Old 10/17/06, 07:41 AM
V6 Member

Thanks Doug, your the best
Old 10/17/06, 05:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok guys, the 60 and below OD's have it. I've retuned three sets of tunes today just because the guys one and only complaint was the OD shift point. These were people that were totally unaware that I had a different tune in there as they were new customers.

I really appreciate everyone's commnets and suggestions. Funny story, other then some of the guys input I get I also hear suggestions from people who have other tuners tunes about what they like about the other tunes and my tunes and how they'd like them combined. The 60mph plus OD shift was one of the main things I've heard people like from another " AUTO " tuner. Still, I've only heard it from a few customers and even the ones that did want it were happy not having it as long as they had the rest of my tune.

I think I'll just leave it out unless It is requested. The one thing I really like about this tune, if I could really call it one thing, is the fact that you can drive you car to the dyno and pull on the rollers and do a dynopull without having the converter lock and unlock at 4800 rpm's. Of course then there's the instant power to ground of the locked converter in nearly every gear, makes for a nice power delivery.

I truly appreciate everyones input on this as I know what I like but it may differ from the majority and they are the ones I'm here to please. This is why I'm asking these questions, to improve my tunes for you guys.

Thanks!! Doug.
Thank you Doug.

So does that mean the tranny will now shift between 55 and 60 or right at 60?

Man you guys that havent ran the auto tranny tune are in for a big eye opening surpise. It turns driving the Mustang into a completely different car.

See ya next month.
Old 10/18/06, 09:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GT John
Thank you Doug.

So does that mean the tranny will now shift between 55 and 60 or right at 60?

Man you guys that havent ran the auto tranny tune are in for a big eye opening surpise. It turns driving the Mustang into a completely different car.

See ya next month.
I just put the OD shifting back to the way it was in my normal tunes, improved over stock but it will shift into OD before 60mph. Only if it is requested will I change it. Funny, now that I've mentioned it out of the 8 tunes I've sent out 6 of them have been for it.

Thanks, Doug
Old 10/18/06, 03:54 PM
V6 Member

Is this only for the GT or does it apply to V6 as well?
Old 10/19/06, 12:49 AM
Cobra Member

I would love that option. Most streets here are 40-45 but every day I take a stretch thats 50-55. I generally just click the OD button back on if traffic is clear enough because the car starts to get loud in 4th @ 50+mph.

My thinking would be that people ordering a tuner and tune through you would like the no OD until 60+mph, because they obviously are somewhat performance oriented.

BTW, I've been very happy with your 91 torque tune and would be interested in getting the OD option.