GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Need help picking axleback

Search this Thread

Old 10/27/08, 03:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
My stock manual axlebacks drone with the stock cats and stock H-pipe. Are you saying the GTAs are quieter than stock considering they don't drone?
Old 10/27/08, 03:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
My stock manual axlebacks drone with the stock cats and stock H-pipe. Are you saying the GTAs are quieter than stock considering they don't drone?
Well since you did not quote me I am assuming you are talking to me. If not... than disregard this response. What does quiet have to do with drone? If you think that the stock mufflers and stock H-pipe and cats drone than for your best interest please don't ever change anything. Because you my friend don't know the meaning or definition of drone. Buy a set of Borla's stingers and get a offroad pipe and get back to us. You are the absolute most negative person on this forum about any modification that you have never done and have no experience with. And this is not the first time you have heard this comment.

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 10/27/08 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10/27/08, 03:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I ran the Pypes Violators for 6 months and threw the stock axle-backs back on. I couldn't stand the drone from the Violators although it did sound cool. I know what loud sounds like from my other cars and I don't want it on the Stang. I've sat in a few S197s with off-road pipes and aftermarket axle-backs - they're all too loud. Eventually you will lose your hearing due to the droning. I just want it to sound whisper quiet on the interior. It could sound like Ragnarok from the exterior for all I care, but my hearing is more important.

Last edited by metroplex; 10/27/08 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10/27/08, 04:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The stock GT manual mufflers don't drone. I had Flowmaster 40 series mufflers on my previous Mustang and highway cruising at anything over 2000 RPM would literally give me a headache. It was so bad that when I drove up from San Francisco to Portland on a roadtrip I'd wear earplugs. That's "drone". In the S197 I can cruise comfortably for hours and not get headaches.
Old 10/27/08, 05:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I ran the Pypes Violators for 6 months and threw the stock axle-backs back on. I couldn't stand the drone from the Violators although it did sound cool. I know what loud sounds like from my other cars and I don't want it on the Stang. I've sat in a few S197s with off-road pipes and aftermarket axle-backs - they're all too loud. Eventually you will lose your hearing due to the droning. I just want it to sound whisper quiet on the interior. It could sound like Ragnarok from the exterior for all I care, but my hearing is more important.

I have always heard that corsa and GTAs do not drone. that does not mean you wont hear your exhaust from the inside of the car, it just means you wont get that annoying vibrating tone that is so annoying at times.
In my option the way you describe it, you need to sell your stang and buy a honda or a toyota that makes no exhaust noise at all.

Last edited by Etnix; 10/27/08 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10/27/08, 07:47 PM
GT Member

Or get an electric car. The only noise you will hear is from the tires.
Old 10/28/08, 03:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
The stock GT manual mufflers don't drone. I had Flowmaster 40 series mufflers on my previous Mustang and highway cruising at anything over 2000 RPM would literally give me a headache. It was so bad that when I drove up from San Francisco to Portland on a roadtrip I'd wear earplugs. That's "drone". In the S197 I can cruise comfortably for hours and not get headaches.
I tried earplugs with the Violators but the funny thing is that the drone was such a low frequency that you could still feel the effects even with 33 dB NR earplugs.

The stock mufflers do drone, albeit it isn't nearly as bad as most straight-through axle back mufflers. I can feel a slight drone at 1600-1800 RPM with the stock mufflers.
Old 10/28/08, 11:00 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since there are so many I would's. I would not get neither of those. We'll I had the stingers and they were good to me but I now have the pypes mid muffler/ prochamber with highflow race cats welded in and other than going with longtubes nothing comes close IMO

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 10/28/08 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10/28/08, 12:45 PM
Bullitt Member

I tried earplugs with the Violators but the funny thing is that the drone was such a low frequency that you could still feel the effects even with 33 dB NR earplugs.

The stock mufflers do drone, albeit it isn't nearly as bad as most straight-through axle back mufflers. I can feel a slight drone at 1600-1800 RPM with the stock mufflers.
you are way to sensitive, seriously. the stock axle backs do not drone at all.
You are worse then my grandpa when it comes to exhaust noise.
Like who buys a mustang and then wears earplugs as they drive? lol.

Last edited by Etnix; 10/28/08 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10/28/08, 12:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'd give the Corsas a try if they were less than half the price.
Old 10/28/08, 10:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Well since you did not quote me I am assuming you are talking to me. If not... than disregard this response. What does quiet have to do with drone? If you think that the stock mufflers and stock H-pipe and cats drone than for your best interest please don't ever change anything. Because you my friend don't know the meaning or definition of drone. Buy a set of Borla's stingers and get a offroad pipe and get back to us. You are the absolute most negative person on this forum about any modification that you have never done and have no experience with. And this is not the first time you have heard this comment.
That hurts Scott ! You always told me I was the most negative .....
Old 10/31/08, 09:25 PM
V6 Member

Sorry guys, but the stokers did drone. The GTA's do not and they sound like the old Bullitts.
Old 10/31/08, 09:38 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
What about the MBRP? Same basic tip as the GTAs and Corsa, with straight through design like the stingers and Corsa, but cheaper.

http://www.lmperformance.com/16449/73.html

http://www.mbrp.com/?page=products&p...0304&make=Ford
I had the MBRP's on my car for about a month. The drone was terrible! I sold them to a friend that has an off-road X and his car doesn't drone at all. If you plan on keeping the cats go with the GTA's. There is absolutely no drone whatsoever and they sound great inside and out. There is a very noticeable difference in sound between the GTA's and the stock mufflers. The GTA's make the car sound like a Mustang! Besides the tune and intake they are the best mod I have done to my car.
Old 11/1/08, 08:03 AM

what about the MagnaPack Exhaust by MagnaFlow part 059-440 from mossmustang, do any one have them?
Old 11/1/08, 02:55 PM
Cobra Member

I know Scott (70MACH1OWNER) has Magnaflow mufflers. Cant remember tho if he has cats or not. From his other posts about all his setups, he loves the sound of them. After hearing them, I am convinced to run with them also. Deep old school muscle car sound.

Scott..Cats or no cats?
Old 11/1/08, 04:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by colbymh
I know Scott (70MACH1OWNER) has Magnaflow mufflers. Cant remember tho if he has cats or not. From his other posts about all his setups, he loves the sound of them. After hearing them, I am convinced to run with them also. Deep old school muscle car sound.

Scott..Cats or no cats?

Longtubes and no cats.
Old 11/2/08, 04:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Eventually you will lose your hearing due to the droning. I just want it to sound whisper quiet on the interior. It could sound like Ragnarok from the exterior for all I care, but my hearing is more important.
I recommed you trade your car in for a Toyota Corolla.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwXbGc-t2qg
Old 11/5/08, 05:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

LOL!
Old 11/5/08, 04:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the flowmasters are the most super best!
Old 11/5/08, 04:35 PM
Cobra Member

if you're looking for loud, ask "Steve-o" on here, he put Borla Stingers on his 2007 GT, then I installed a Pypes O/R x-pipe....everything else is stock, but it sounds mean!

Quick Reply: Need help picking axleback