GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Need help on new tires

Search this Thread

Old 6/4/15, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help on new tires

I'm looking for tires to replace the stock Pirelli pzeros 245/45/19
Really just need a good all season tire. For sure not the pirellis again I hate them lol
Been looking at the Firestone wide oval all seasons. Does anyone have these or any other tire they can recommend?
Old 6/4/15, 05:35 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Why do so many folks dislike the Pirellis? I have no issues with them at almost 7K miles so far. I have the same 245/45/19 tires and want to replace them with wider 275/40/19's next and would have no problem getting P-zeros again.

Granted, I use my Mustang only in dry conditions, even in winter as long as there's no snow or salt, and it doesn't see rain. It's not tracked or abused in any way.

Curious as to why Mustang owners want to replace them almost immediately
Old 6/4/15, 05:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The stock Pirellis I had (235/50-18) got louder and louder and the traction became less and less. They still had plenty of tread, and were only a year old, so there is really no excuse for their lack of anything desirable from a tire.
Old 6/4/15, 07:48 AM

Need help on new tires

Well maybe I exaggerated I wouldn't say I hate them but I wouldn't buy them again especially not for 200 a tire. They didn't last me very long
Old 6/8/15, 08:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
The Pirellis that came oem on our '08 GT were original, had a date code 3107 on all 4, and when we bought the car in 2013 they had 1/2 tread left on them and no "cracks". Then after just a few thousand miles and a few months, they started showing their age with small cracks.
They wore like iron, but I had a set of Eagle RS-As ready and saw no reason to push the Pirellis so off they came with 26,466 miles back last year ..... they'd have likely made 40K if the miles had come sooner time wise and assuming one would run them down to the wear bars. I expect the Eagles will last longer as she sits under a cover in a carport now.

I also felt they were starting to give up in the traction department, they just "spun" easier by accident so perhaps that was another symptom of the aging process. The improvement in ride and traction and "smoothness" with the Eagles was immediate and welcomed and I must say, some small surprise. Like a fading light bulb getting long in the years, you don't notice it so much when it's a slow degredation ..... but you notice it when the new takes over.

Now on my '07 FX4, it still has OEM installed Pirelli Scorpion 275/55-20 tires at 51,xxx miles, but they are about ready to come off for tread wear. They do not have the cracking problem, and they are 2007 tires. Since 2009 the truck spends it's "off time" in a shaded carport and judging by it's condition when purchased in 2009, it was used to a carport or garage. They have just the beginnings of checking very shallow in a fat area near the bead where there is extra rubber to protect the rim. They ride smooth still, but I have a set of 4 new take offs of same Pirelli tires from a new truck stacked up ready to go on ...... need to do that soon too.

Pirelli tires are good tires.

Last edited by tbear853; 6/8/15 at 08:48 AM.
Old 6/8/15, 10:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
The reason I don't like the Pirellis is traction. Pure and simple.

In the dry, they were... merely adequate. The car would break loose if I was trying too hard, and I'm of the opinion that if you're spinning your tires, you're not moving very far. Unless I'm showing off, I don't want the tires to break loose, I want to move.

But then you get them in the wet? Squirrely. Nasty tire in the rain, IMO.

I moved to the Cooper Zeon RS3-A all season tire, and I am still enamored with them, long after I had to let them go. Good lasting tire, great traction tire for an all season. I can't speak for snow/mud, but in the dry or the rain, the confidence I had on those was inspiring.

If I could get them on my 9.5" wide rims, I would. Alas. Maybe one day...
Old 6/8/15, 11:34 PM

Need help on new tires

Was looking at those cooper tires too. I think I'm gonna try out the firestones. I'll make a review sometime in the future