GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Need brake help!

Search this Thread

Old 4/19/08, 07:26 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need brake help!

Here is my problem. I just flushed my brake system and installed 14" Baer brakes all around and Hawk pads in the rear. Turning in the pistons on the rear calipers was a bit of a pain as I did not have the proper tool, but managed to do it using a pickle fork to fit in the slots while applying some pressure on the piston with some water pump pliers. After bleeding the whole system I noticed some brake fluid around the rear caliper bleeders. I removed the bleeders and cleaned them thinking maybe some debris got in the threads..well same thing after left for a while I could see trace of brake fluid around the threads of the breeder. Cleaned it all up again with brake cleaner, tighten bleeder up nice and snug....pump the brakes looks ok, so I decide to put the dust caps on the bleeders and leave it ovenight to check in the AM. Well when I went to press the rubber dust caps on I could see fuid coming up around the threads as I was applying pressure. I tried the bleeders from the front calipers to see if maybe it was the bleeders...same thing. This is just bizzare I'm beggining to think I need new calipers as somehow they got damaged around the bleeders..I can't see how though. I have done lot's of brakes before so I'm not new to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Gleamin05; 4/19/08 at 07:27 PM.
Old 4/20/08, 01:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Something is DEFINITELY amiss... These are the Baer calipers? If so, call them ASAP, that sounds like a manufacturing flaw to me. If you're leaking brake fluid, you don't have a closed system, and that is a "bad thing" in the world of hydraulics.

If it's the stock calipers on the Baer extension bracket, then you may have nicked the threads or overtorqued them and partially stripped them somewhere along the way. Replace them. Newtakeoff.com has them for so cheap, it's not worth the risk of trying to fix them.

Just to eliminate this as a possibility, but when you bled them, did you use tubing on the ends of the bleeders, or just let it spray out into a drain-pan? Just to eliminate the possiblity of fluid external to the bleeder, you may want to hit the bleeder area with some brake cleaner, and then re-inspect once it's dry. If you still get fluid coming out, you have issues...
Old 4/20/08, 05:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Very odd sounding. I agree with everything Soundguydave said. Don't take any chances with your brakes. Is it possible that you overtighten the bleeder screws? They only need to be snug. If you tightened them to tight you may have scored the seat area of the caliper and bleed screws. If so they would leak. Just a thought.
Scott
Old 4/20/08, 09:06 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave
Something is DEFINITELY amiss... These are the Baer calipers? If so, call them ASAP, that sounds like a manufacturing flaw to me. If you're leaking brake fluid, you don't have a closed system, and that is a "bad thing" in the world of hydraulics.

If it's the stock calipers on the Baer extension bracket, then you may have nicked the threads or overtorqued them and partially stripped them somewhere along the way. Replace them. Newtakeoff.com has them for so cheap, it's not worth the risk of trying to fix them.

Just to eliminate this as a possibility, but when you bled them, did you use tubing on the ends of the bleeders, or just let it spray out into a drain-pan? Just to eliminate the possiblity of fluid external to the bleeder, you may want to hit the bleeder area with some brake cleaner, and then re-inspect once it's dry. If you still get fluid coming out, you have issues...
The problem is with the rear stock calipers on the Baer extension brackets.The front has new Baer calipers and no problem with those. I did use tubing on the bleeder when bleeding and cleaned very thorougly with brake clean .This is really bizzare. The treads look fine on the bleeder screws and I don't feel I overtightend them,Definately not stripped.What I did find is a little corrosion on a few of the threads but I cannot see that affecting it. As soon as you press down on the top of the bleeder screw with some pressure you see the fluid coming up from the treads of the bleeder. I cannot figure out how I could have damaged the treads inside the caliper for the bleeders. I'm thinking I should just replace both rear calipers and be done with it. I could not find the rear calipers at Newtakeoff but can get them for $98 each from ford. What do you guys think? Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Gleamin05; 4/20/08 at 09:10 AM.
Old 4/20/08, 10:31 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Gleamin05
The problem is with the rear stock calipers on the Baer extension brackets.The front has new Baer calipers and no problem with those. I did use tubing on the bleeder when bleeding and cleaned very thorougly with brake clean .This is really bizzare. The treads look fine on the bleeder screws and I don't feel I overtightend them,Definately not stripped.What I did find is a little corrosion on a few of the threads but I cannot see that affecting it. As soon as you press down on the top of the bleeder screw with some pressure you see the fluid coming up from the treads of the bleeder. I cannot figure out how I could have damaged the treads inside the caliper for the bleeders. I'm thinking I should just replace both rear calipers and be done with it. I could not find the rear calipers at Newtakeoff but can get them for $98 each from ford. What do you guys think? Thanks for your input.
Are you absolutely sure the bleeder screw is completely seated. You did not swap or change them?

The bleeder screw does not seal along the threads.

It seals on the tapered cone (male) at the base of the bleeder screw and the matching female cone at the bottom of the bleeder screw hole in the caliper. If either of these two surfaces are damaged, then you will have a leaker.

It is very difficult to damage these, unless there has been a lot of corrosion in there. You might pull the bleeder screws out once again and try to get a good visual inspection of the bleeder seat in the bottom of the hole in the caliper and also confirm the seat on the bleeder screw is not damaged or scored either..

Last edited by RadBOSS; 4/20/08 at 10:33 AM.
Old 4/21/08, 06:57 PM
V6 Member

Well I decided to pick up some Russell speed bleeders for the rear calipers and give that a try to see if they would stop the leaking. The stock bleeders I took out had some corrosion on the treads and in the caliper threads ,I think these bleeders had a problem right from the factory as they had never been touched until now.The stock bleeders were definatly not seating properly because when you pressed down on the top of the bleeders( like to put the dust cap back on) they would leak up through the threads.I'm thinking this is why there was some corrosion in the treads of the calipers and bleeders. Well I'm happy to say the new Russell speed bleeders worked great and no more leaks !!!! Now to get out and burnish the rotors and seat the pads