GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

NE1 dyno a K&N panel filter with a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/05, 11:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi,
I would be curious to see base line stock vs a K&N panel filter with a 91 tune?
I have been looking at the K&N intake kit, but since they say you can run it without a tune, it must not flow more than their panel filter.
I would guess that the panel with a tune would give you the same 15~20hp as all the others on an otherwise stock engine?
I was looking at the stock intake tube, and it is very well done with no sharp bends. I had also read that it flowed as well on the dyno as the aftermarket tubes.
Anyone done the test? I love the idea of having the extra HP, while keeping everything looking bone stock under the hood.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 7/15/05, 12:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I would be interested in this as well. K&N doesn't list any performance gains for their air filter but they do list 15.26HP @ 6000RPM for their air charger. But if you look at the air charger dyno there is no difference in flow? Or am I not reading it right?
Old 7/15/05, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 65gtfastback@July 15, 2005, 10:41 AM
Hi,
I would be curious to see base line stock vs a K&N panel filter with a 91 tune?
I have been looking at the K&N intake kit, but since they say you can run it without a tune, it must not flow more than their panel filter.
I would guess that the panel with a tune would give you the same 15~20hp as all the others on an otherwise stock engine?
I was looking at the stock intake tube, and it is very well done with no sharp bends. I had also read that it flowed as well on the dyno as the aftermarket tubes.
Anyone done the test? I love the idea of having the extra HP, while keeping everything looking bone stock under the hood.
Thanks,
Paul
you would be bout correct...the prob is that the tune is doin 13 of that 15 hp for ya, and ud probly net only a couple more than stock filter with a tune

btw, i did the panel filter + 91oct tune route and loved it
Old 7/17/05, 02:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

One of the magazines did a panel filter and Magnaflow muffler. They could not see a gain for the K & N, maybe 1 HP. I've heard it might take some time for the gians to show up, but back to back not much.
Old 7/17/05, 02:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As I posted in another thread. I think the "secret" to the K&N Aircharger not needing a tune is due to the required use of the HC trap. I'm pretty sure that w/out the HC trap the Aircharger probably flows a little better than the stock intake.