GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

My JBA Header Install

Search this Thread

Old 8/30/07, 05:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found it in my Journal.
By the way, I only needed to use 3 of the 4 extensions. The driverside rear sensor reached nicely with just the MIL eliminator in place.
Old 8/30/07, 11:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GOarmy08
sweet man! Congratz! I'm loading your open LTs file right now. Edit: Sounds badass! Get a clip of the full exhaust up too! Is that the flowmaster Axle-back?

Few questions for you. Did you put in new head bolts for the LTs? How difficult was the steering shaft to move out of the way? What were the main tools you used? What were your main problems? Re-use motor mounts?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I will be doing the ARH LT + H-pipe install this winter!

Definately will get a sound clip of them with the H pipe on. I would highly recommend looking at Lowe's ARH installation journal. I printed off the whole thing along with taco bill's h-pipe removal (Thanks alot to both of you), as they really helped because the JBA instructions were very general. I think the hardest part of the installation was reaching all the bolts. It gets very frustrating at times, so I just took my time and said, I will give it a shot tomorrow. Re-used motor mounts, new bolts came with headers from JBA. Steering shaft if quite easy, especially with two people. Actually having an extra hand will help you thru the whole installation. The best tools I used were Craftsman Floor Jack and Jack stands(which gave more room than my ramps, props to Lowe for doing it with just ramps), and also as Lowe noted, the craftsman ratcheting box end wrenches. Pheww, hopefully I answered most
of them. edit: almost forgot, they are the FRPP stinger axle-backs
Old 8/30/07, 11:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Lowe!
I found it in my Journal.

Thanks Lowe. I ordered 4 of them total, and JBA said you have to modify them by taking the notches off and all is well. I drove it for the first time today and noticed a few things. While accelerating, it is a sweet sound, loud, but I also hear kind of like a lawn mower/tractor like sound as I am pushing down on the pedal.(Don't know if this is normal) Also when I am starting from a stop, and I bog it a little, only occasionally does it make a bad noise, kind of like a bottoming out noise, except I am for sure not bottoming out. Any idea about that noise?
edit- Also when we attached the H-pipe, the stock tubing was too long so we cut it down about an inch to make it fit, even though we cut it down, we still have so much extra tubing that we pushed the muffler tips way out(now the ford racing logo stick out all the way). Maybe there is some stock tubing vibrating against the frame. Just a thought?
Old 8/30/07, 11:28 PM
Cobra Member

The little tabs I'm talking about were for the the O2 sensor extensions. The connectors on the extensions I have are for the blue rear O2 sensors, so for the green front sensors to fit, the little alignment tabs were trimed off. It was easy as they are plastic.

AHHH why didn't I see this before haha.
That was my only problem with the extensions
Old 9/30/07, 08:47 AM
Cobra Member

Had a little problem with the cats. After I got everything installed, i heard a bigg rattle coming from mid exhaust. I took off the h-pipe a shook it and it was coming from the cats, same problem that thumprr had. The material inside the cats are broken apart and loose and make a terrible noise. So far I have one gutted and I have to work on the other one on another day. I will make a call to JBA and see what they can do.
Old 10/2/07, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by officespace56
material inside the cats are broken apart and loose and make a terrible noise.
You got lucky that it was just some noise. A collapsed cat cost me an entire engine...
Old 10/2/07, 06:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by don_w
You got lucky that it was just some noise. A collapsed cat cost me an entire engine...

What happened with that?!Details? How did you cat collapse and why did it cost a new engine
Old 10/3/07, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by officespace56
What happened with that?!Details? How did you cat collapse and why did it cost a new engine
It's an old story... you can read all about it here on posts #67 and #69: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...t=44364&page=4. There are also quite a few pics there, too.
Old 10/4/07, 02:46 AM
Cobra Member

Sorry to hear about that! Well I gutted one cat that had all the rattling, and the other one seems fine, should I gut the other one also just to even it out or is it alright?