GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

mufflers....

Search this Thread

Old 9/27/07, 11:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might gain 1hp from different mufflers, if your lucky. Go for what sounds good, not what claims more HP.

Some cars gain a lot from different mufflers, not the new Mustangs though.
Old 9/27/07, 08:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question for you guys...im still running a muffler-less setup right now...

tonight i looked underneath the car and seen the main pipes which go to the manifolds, looked sort of low to the ground. now it was dark when i was looking, but are normally low or am i just freaking out.

they werent super low, but they were at the same lowness as the rear axle.

does any of this make sense? i noticed it when i turned off my car, so i didnt get a chance to shake around the pipes because they were nice and warm. i will check tomorrow, since it will be sitting in the garage for the weekend.
Old 9/27/07, 08:51 PM
Cobra R Member

I had my mufflers off this evening and the pipes will drop a couple of inches with no mufflers.

If you drive it that way for a while, the will likely droop some more.
Old 9/27/07, 09:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

when i had my muffs off i could hear the pipes hitting the bar just underneath them... every time my rear suspension went up a little it would clang loudly. for that reason alone i got my muffs back on asap. i only drove for 1 day mufflerless and would not stretch it any longer if you can.

get something up there to support those pipes.
Old 9/27/07, 09:59 PM
Bullitt Member

when i come back this weekend, i will be putting the stock muffs back on...

as of now, im having trouble deciding what axlebacks i want to throw on. i like the way it sounds without mufflers so i was going to go with the SLP LM's, but im starting to hear clips of the Corsa and Borla Stingers and dig both of those. I like the Corsa's because they're loud and startup and accel. but are quiet on the highway which is a plus. the only problem is $699 seems way to high for 2 simple mufflers.

right now, i plan on keep my gt stock until sometime after the new year. than thats when all the mods will be kicking in.

out of the 3, which are better? LM's, Stingers or Corsa's? I want something deep and something that is noticeable. But I also don't want it too loud to where my neighbors know it's me coming.
Old 9/27/07, 10:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

if you dont want it too loud then dont get the loudmouths... i have heard them and they sound killer but they are screamin loud. people will know you are coming for sure.
Old 9/28/07, 12:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Check these out. I found mine used for a heck of a lot less than new, and they rock!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJe8JzI7NtQ
Old 10/6/07, 12:34 PM
Bullitt Member

hey fellas,

so i had some time this morning to reinstall the mufflers which i took of 2 weeks ago. i was getting ready to put them on and decided on something. the only REAL reason i was gonna put them back on is from the noise when i hit bumps and they rattle. well i put the car up on the lift. i noticed the right exhaust pipe hangs high and if were to hit a bump it wouldnt rattle against the metal rod, but in turn rattle upwards, which is nothing but air. the pipe on the left, when a bump is hit, rattles on the metal rod. i decided to cut some hose up, and wire tied it to the metal rod. the noise is gone. i am now driving without the factory mufflers. just the stock mid muffs. im gonna drive it like that from now on until i have some money set aside for the slp loudmouths. i love the no muffler sound. i get so many looks, compliments and stares from it too.

well anyway, just giving an update to this 2 week old thread.

cya
Old 10/6/07, 10:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i would try not too run it thay way too long, never know what may shake loose under there.