GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

mufflers....

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/07, 04:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mufflers....

so i had a boring saturday afternoon and decided to take my stock mufflers off...went for a crusie with the no mufflers and love the sound...

anyway way i can leave the mufflers off and drive with no mufflers like this for good? i use my stang as a daily driver and i dont see any potential harm of using the exhaust the way it is. hey are point down to the ground to the left, and right respectively. any fumes look like they point away from anything major.
Old 9/22/07, 04:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It won't hurt anything performance wise, but the exhaust needs to be supported and not just hanging there - there is an extensive exhaust thread with a zillion ways people have done their exhaust -

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=25675

If you like the sound you have now, you can have a muffler shop make some straight pipes or just buy some SLP Loudmouths...
Old 9/22/07, 04:22 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CrazyGreek89
so i had a boring saturday afternoon and decided to take my stock mufflers off...went for a crusie with the no mufflers and love the sound...

anyway way i can leave the mufflers off and drive with no mufflers like this for good? i use my stang as a daily driver and i dont see any potential harm of using the exhaust the way it is. hey are point down to the ground to the left, and right respectively. any fumes look like they point away from anything major.
I had slp on my car and there pretty much the same as having no muffs. I think its illegal to have no muffler though...
Old 9/22/07, 04:29 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most states require an exhaust control device. You could gut the stockers.
Old 9/22/07, 05:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
I would think you could get tail pipes pretty cheap for any muffler shop.
Old 9/22/07, 05:45 PM
V6 Member

Got my mufflers taken off and rear pipes installed for $30 with tips. Nice and loud without any mufflers. I plan putting a set of Dynomax race Bullets on later to tone it down a bit. Go to my site http://www.mymustangsite.com/killbee/ I have a couple of clips with no mufflers just tips.
Old 9/22/07, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

i am not really interested in the performace side of things. i know that i have lost some low-end torque by removing the stock muffler, but my question is running my 'stang without mufflers harmful in anyway? a good friend of mine said, that he wouldnt recommend driving it daily with no mufflers. he said because they way the 05+ are built, that the fumes are pretty much staying in that area, which is very close to the gas tank and other pertinent items in that area. does this hold any water? he also said the fumes will leak into the cabin.

another good friend of mine, who has been an auto mechanic for 15 years said theres really no threat posed, except if your idling for a long time, such as if your stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for a period of time. other than that, if your constantly moving or on the highway driving at high speeds, you really wont hurt anything.

is it legal to drive with no mufflers in PA? if i go to Meineke and get straight pipes put on, like someone else mentioned, will that still count as having no mufflers and therefore be illegal?

finally, if i do get straight pipes put on, could the dealer refuse to do warranty work, recall work, or oil changes/inspections?

thanks, the help is greatly appreciated.
Old 9/23/07, 02:48 AM
Bullitt Member

the majority of states have laws for noise ordinances, and having no mufflers exceeds the standard 96 decibel limit supposedly, and yes have just pipes with tips added is still illegal. I have yet to see a cop carring around a decibel meter but meh.

like somoene else said, you need to have those pipes supported by something so get some muffler deletes.

the dealer cant void your warranty unless they can say not having mufflers is the cause if your issues, so if your alternator goes out that cant say, oh well you dont have any mufflers so your warranty is void.

Mufflers sole porpuse in life is to muffle sound as the name implies
Old 9/23/07, 06:44 AM
Bullitt Member

ok. so all in all, the only thing i am in hurting is the chance of getting pulled over. i can handle that.

the only reason i took the mufflers off in the first place is just to get a feel for what any aftermarket ones will sound like. im going to put the stocks back on next weekend, as i will have no time during this week.

im kinda lacking funds right now, so i was thinking if like the sound of no mufflers, i was going to leave them off for a while and possibly just cruise like that.
Old 9/23/07, 07:07 AM
Cobra R Member

The sound you get with no mufflers, or perhaps the SLP Loudmouths is not an indication of how the multitude of other aftermarket mufflers sound. There is a difference between sounding good and just loud. They are not necessarily the same.

There is quite a difference from manufacturer to manufacturer. And what you do up stream (Offroad X pipe - H pipe - ProChamber - headers, etc.) has a huge affect on the final sound.

And of course, it is all SUBJECTIVE...

If you want to modify a set of stock mufflers (which is what I did) - here is a link -

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=54335

Listenening to sound clips on the internet is ok, but I have yet to hear a clip that really does justice to hearing it in person. Keep that in mind...
Old 9/23/07, 02:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

How did you support the pipes with no mufflers on them?? I hope you didn't just leave them dangling. That is not good.
Old 9/23/07, 06:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
How did you support the pipes with no mufflers on them?? I hope you didn't just leave them dangling. That is not good.
Well, after I took the mufflers off I shook the pipes to see how dangly they were. They didn't seem to loose so I let them go for now. I didn't hear them budge at all for 2 days. Today I had someone sitting in the back seat and almost every bump I went over, I hear them dangle against the metal rod they sit next to. So tonight I came home and I climbed undernearth the car and took a peek again to see what I could do to support them for now. I plan on putting the stock mufflers back on this weekend because I am eventually going to be getting SLP loudmouths and just wanted to see if I could handle the noise. I wasn't bothered by the bass, but I know my Mom hated it and my girlfriend liked it. Haha. I think it's safe to say I am keeping them on, because ****...it sounds mean.

Could I possibly damage something if I let them dangle for a week?
Old 9/23/07, 06:38 PM
Cobra R Member

By letting the rear dangle, you are putting stress on other parts of the exhaust which were not designed to handle that kind of stress.

Not sure how long it would take, but my guess is that you would eventually bend or crack something...
Old 9/23/07, 07:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I love the way is sounds with out the axle backs...so I'm looking into a gate set-up where you can open it up and still run your mufflers.I heard a newer Vette with the switch gate yesterday,it sure got my attention.
Old 9/26/07, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Does anyone have this setup on their Mustang? If so, can I get some reviews of it? Are they as loud as the SLP Loudmouths?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...r-catback.html

This looks like a very good system for the money.
Old 9/26/07, 07:22 PM
Cobra R Member

That looks interesting (and reasonably priced) - I would love to hear it in person...
Old 9/26/07, 07:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Poco
I love the way is sounds with out the axle backs...so I'm looking into a gate set-up where you can open it up and still run your mufflers.I heard a newer Vette with the switch gate yesterday,it sure got my attention.
Not sure who makes the diverter / gate, but years ago you could get them through JC Whitney... I think they were cable operated.
Old 9/26/07, 07:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by red454
Not sure who makes the diverter / gate, but years ago you could get them through JC Whitney... I think they were cable operated.
I found a set up through Jegs.Its controlled electrically with gear reduction 12 volt dc motor,and a rack and gear style drive...prices start at $599.99.I'd rather install CAI with a nice tune.
Old 9/27/07, 06:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Does any one know anything about the Pypes Violators axlebacks?

Right now I am torn between SLP Loudmouths, Pypers Violators and or possibly the MAC axlebacks.

I really dig the SLP LM's but people have said I really won't get any performace out of them since there's no muffler.

I want something that will add a few horsepower, sound loud (what the GT sounds like when you take off the axlebacks) and somewhat cheap.
Old 9/27/07, 06:45 AM
Cobra R Member

From what I have read - there is little to nothing to be gained as far as HP with different mufflers. The factory ones flow rather well. Unless you are building a race car with forced induction that pounds out a lot of HP, the entire factory exhaust flows just fine.

There are a few claims of HP gains, but I think the dynos show very little - the results are within the margin of error. Even headers don't gain much on a stock engine.

Sound is really all that is affected. A tune / CAI is where the most bang-for-the-buck is found.

These engines are designed / tuned so well (stock) that the days of getting a lot of free HP from bolt-on stuff are long gone.

Quick Reply: mufflers....