GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

SLP “LoudMouths” revisited

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/06, 03:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down SLP “LoudMouths” revisited

I’ve had the SLP loudmouth exhaust for about a year and a half now. When I first installed them and fired the car up, I thought that was one of the best sounds I’ve ever heard. What I’ve learned though is, it has its drawbacks. Aside from the notorious trumpet sounds, the construction has proven to be quite poor. The wall on the tip broke (tore) right where the hanger was welded .

Long story short, the SLP are off for good and the stocks are back on again …..

On a side note … this makes a great time to “upgrade” …. Borlas (#11750) are on they way …

For those who are considering this exhaust
Check out http://www.performancecenter.com they have the best price I’ve seen ...
Old 6/29/06, 01:27 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You'll love them
Old 6/29/06, 02:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i think i will start with that and put on a Pypes H-pipe but should i go Shorty or LT headers
Old 6/29/06, 03:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

ya I have a set up bassani's I am going to put back on and take the cats off at the same time. No Muffs was nice for a year...ready for something different.
Old 6/29/06, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the same problem with mine. The weld that was holding the hanger on the tip broke off and now their is a nice size hole in the side of tip. I'm also looking into getting the borlas but the funds are a little low right now.
Old 6/29/06, 09:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your LM's. So far so good with mine and I've had them a little over a year. I guess I should go out and check the welds tomorrow just to make sure. I still love the sound though.
Old 6/29/06, 09:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Don't get me wrong, I still love the sound of my Loudmouths. I was just thinking this might be the time to change them out for something different.
Old 6/29/06, 09:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 05BLKGT
Don't get me wrong, I still love the sound of my Loudmouths. I was just thinking this might be the time to change them out for something different.
Well the LM's have been holding me back from getting LT Headers and a hi flow x-pipe. I was wonder how SLP's entire setup sounds with the LM's. Before the server crash on here a guy said he had the setup and had no trumpet issues.
Old 6/29/06, 10:04 PM

Enjoy the Borlas, Stallion. I just got mine on yesterday and am elated with how that (06 GT) car sounds now. There are some sweet sounds in those things even when you're not hitting it close to hard.
Old 6/30/06, 11:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

I know I'll enjoy the Borlas DUD121; I think I've heard and re-played every borla vid and clip online a couple dozen times.

Just to add some pics. Here is whats left of the SLP's ....

I have the same problem with mine. The weld that was holding the hanger on the tip broke off and now their is a nice size hole in the side of tip. I'm also looking into getting the borlas but the funds are a little low right now.
I wonder if these are isolated cases or if this could be a design flaw we've just discovered ....

edit: With the hole in the sidewall of the tip ... you can see how thin the metal is ....
Old 7/1/06, 09:38 AM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

Im going out now to look at mine.. Stock Mufflers go back on if they are failing. Probably go with corsa.

Just checked - I've had mine on for a year - no probs yet
Old 7/1/06, 04:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why don't you save some money and buy the FRPP exhaust instead of the Borlas? I have the 11750 Borlas and wish I would have known about the FRPP earlier.
Old 7/1/06, 06:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Because Borla sounds better to say....
Old 7/1/06, 08:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GtStallion51

Just to add some pics. Here is whats left of the SLP's ....

I wonder if these are isolated cases or if this could be a design flaw we've just discovered ....

edit: With the hole in the sidewall of the tip ... you can see how thin the metal is ....
Here's a pic of what mine looks like. I ordered mine in March 2005.

Old 7/1/06, 11:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

The hole (failure) in the tip looks very similar .... maybe we shoule contact SLP, see what they have to say about this ...

I chose the borlas because even though they "say" the two muffler are the same, it didn't make much sense. Why would borla fab. the same muffler for ford to sell at a cheaper price. I think the ext. may look the same but the insides have to be a bit different and the tone should (I think) be different as well. This was my logic aleast when I ordered the borlas, If someone can correct me if I'm wrong ....
Old 7/2/06, 02:01 AM

Don't the Borlas have a slightly different tip than the FRPP's? I was fairly confident with the Fords as far as them producing the sound but everything I heard live was Borlas and when everything panned out timing/money/availibility wise I ended up with the Borlas instead because I had no doubts how they'd sound.

If you're like me there will be an additional price increase (gas) 'cause my mileage has taken a hit once my shift points took a big leap just to hear that sound. I was content to granny shift at 2500 most of the time just getting around town, now I'm incabale of anything below 3000 and 4000 is even better. I'm having a tough time staying out of it. WOT just rips.
Old 7/2/06, 08:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Get the FRPP exhaust...same as borla but you can get them for 330 bucks.
Old 7/2/06, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GtStallion51
The hole (failure) in the tip looks very similar .... maybe we shoule contact SLP, see what they have to say about this ...

I chose the borlas because even though they "say" the two muffler are the same, it didn't make much sense. Why would borla fab. the same muffler for ford to sell at a cheaper price. I think the ext. may look the same but the insides have to be a bit different and the tone should (I think) be different as well. This was my logic aleast when I ordered the borlas, If someone can correct me if I'm wrong ....
with the borla catback setup yo get new pipes that go from the h-pipe to the axleback, they have half as many bends, the bends are waayyyy smoother, and it is a different metal, which probably adds to it's tone.

remember folks, you get what you pay for
Old 7/2/06, 12:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Actually, the Borla and the FRPP are identical on the INSIDE. its the outside pipe material and tip material and design that set them apart.

I got my SLPs in march 2005 also (well earlier, my car came then) and I loved the sound since day 1, and havent had any problems. This does make me worried tho. Actually, I have been thinking of selling my SLPs, and getting the stingers, only because the off road SLP setup is a bit over the top for my day to day driving here in California.
Old 7/2/06, 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I think I'm going to call SLP first and see what they will do. Their website states that "Headers and exhaust components are warranted for life against rust, corrosion, failed welds, cracks, and similar defects under normal use." Hopefully they will replace my Loudmouths and if not I'm switching to the stingers.

Quick Reply: SLP “LoudMouths” revisited