GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

More cylinder head info

Search this Thread

Old 6/1/05, 09:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did a little more research on ported heads for the GT. Basically right now there are only two companies that offer them that I know of. Livernois Motorsports and Blow By Racing. Each head has it's advantages over the other.

Livernois heads are $1999.99 a pair, that's completely assembled ready to bolt on. The price is based on you shipping your heads to them. They then disassemble, clean, hand port with chamber rework, do a custom valve job with reground valves, and reassemble the heads. With tuning they are claiming a 35 - 45 rwhp gain over the stock heads.

Blow By Racing's heads are $1695.95 + core charge. This price includes CNC porting and reworking of the runners. The stock valves and springs are used but they have optional stainless steel valves for more flow. The stainless valves will run you about $650.00. The estimated hp increase is 40 - 50 rwhp for Blow By Racing's heads. Not sure how much a difference the better flowing valves would make. Total cost for the heads with the better valves is @ $2350.00.

So who's is better??? That's really not what this thread is about. It's just to pass on information that I have collected regarding ported heads for the Mustang. Each head has it's advantages. I like the fact that Blow By Racing's heads are CNC ported and that they have cores in stock which means less down time. On the other hand I like the fact that Livernois reworks the chambers and do a valve job but I don't like the fact that I have to send them my heads first. Power wise both heads seem to be about equal, that is not knowing what Blow By Racing's heads with the stainless valves will put out.

Personally I'm leaning towards the Blow By Racing heads with the stainless valves. My reasons??? They are CNC ported, no human error, and they have cores in stock which is important to me because my car will be a daily driver. I can't have it sitting around waiting for heads. Plus I'm willing to bet the Blow By Racing heads with the stainless valves will put out some sick numbers.

Hope you guys find this information usefull.
Old 6/1/05, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Livernois has them too.

I'm not sure if Port Pros has done an 05 yet, but their reputation and results are very high.

www.portpros.com
Old 6/2/05, 07:08 AM
Bullitt Member

What about cams? I know it is a pita to change cams on modular heads. So I will hold off on heads untill I can get them assembled with better cams. Imagine the power gains then. Wow that was really off topic. Thanks for the info. If I could I would post the thumbs up smilie but I forgot it. Now that I made the most useless post ever what do you guys think these heads will make with cams?
Old 6/2/05, 07:15 AM
I talk to cones.

Originally posted by ZwerRacing@June 2, 2005, 8:11 AM
What about cams? I know it is a pita to change cams on modular heads. So I will hold off on heads untill I can get them assembled with better cams. Imagine the power gains then. Wow that was really off topic. Thanks for the info. If I could I would post the thumbs up smilie but I forgot it. Now that I made the most useless post ever what do you guys think these heads will make with cams?
OT

with Cams, ported heads, CAI, and LT headers I am hoping for right at 400HP/350rwhp
Old 6/2/05, 01:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by softbatch@June 2, 2005, 9:18 AM
OT

with Cams, ported heads, CAI, and LT headers I am hoping for right at 400HP/350rwhp

No one makes cams for our cars just yet due to the variable cam timing. I really don't think you would need them. I'm hoping for 400 - 450hp ( @ 380 rwhp) with a CAI, throttle body, long tubes, h-pipe with cats, and Blow By Racing's heads w/stainless steel valves. I'm also going to be speaking with them on Friday about milling the heads to increase the compression ratio from the stock 9.8:1 to 10.5:1

I'm not sure how the computer will react to this and if it will even be worth doing. It would depend on how it affects drivability and how much hp could be gained from doing it. My ultimate goal is to get as much NA hp from the 3V motor as possible.
Old 6/2/05, 02:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

I thought sean hyland was advertising ported heads, too. Don't know the price on them, though.
Old 6/2/05, 06:32 PM
Cobra Member

I've talked to both outfit's a few time's (BBR & Livernois). After talking to them both I'm going with Livernois. For one they have alot of experiance i.e. they have been around a long time. I also believe that BBR is trying to open the head's up to much. I also like the idea of a good old fashion port and polish job, done by hand by true craftsmen. After my RK Sport hood is done, I'm sending my head's off to them. There will be two week's of downtime, which is the biggest drawback. :bang: I'm sure it's going to be worth it! I told Livernois what I am running now and my current mod's. They said 350-360 RWHP should be NO problem...
Old 6/2/05, 06:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Well if I were you all. If you want some custom work done like that, you need to know of a local shop that does custom porting etc. You are blowing way to much money on some person out of town, to send to etc. I dont know about you, but I know of shops in town that can do all this at a lot less. If you live in St. Louis, go to weiss speed shop. Known very well by all performance enthusiasts in this area. I believe they are on hampton. Go to your local reputable speed shop, and give them a go. I know weiss has a long history of good quality work. May cost a little, but way less than sending off heads, and having someone you never talked to etc. Do some work and send them back to you. Good luck is all I say.
Old 6/2/05, 07:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Vegasjay@June 2, 2005, 8:35 PM
I've talked to both outfit's a few time's (BBR & Livernois). After talking to them both I'm going with Livernois. For one they have alot of experiance i.e. they have been around a long time. I also believe that BBR is trying to open the head's up to much. I also like the idea of a good old fashion port and polish job, done by hand by true craftsmen. After my RK Sport hood is done, I'm sending my head's off to them. There will be two week's of downtime, which is the biggest drawback. :bang: I'm sure it's going to be worth it! I told Livernois what I am runing now and my current mod's. They said 350-360 RWHP should be NO problem...

If it wasn't for the fact that I'd have about two weeks down time, I'd go with Livernois as well. Since my car will be a daily driver I can't afford to let it sit apart for that long. I have connections with a Ford parts supplier so I'm going to see if I can get a set of 05/06 heads for a reasonable price and then send those to Livernois instead. I believe the castings are the same as the 5.4L F150 heads, just the hardware is different.
Old 6/2/05, 08:00 PM

"No one makes cams for our cars just yet due to the variable cam timing."

I'll be testing Comp Cams on mine shortly. Don't bother calling because they are not available yet.
Old 6/2/05, 08:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by sodaman@June 2, 2005, 7:01 PM
Well if I were you all. If you want some custom work done like that, you need to know of a local shop that does custom porting etc. You are blowing way to much money on some person out of town, to send to etc. I dont know about you, but I know of shops in town that can do all this at a lot less. If you live in St. Louis, go to weiss speed shop. Known very well by all performance enthusiasts in this area. I believe they are on hampton. Go to your local reputable speed shop, and give them a go. I know weiss has a long history of good quality work. May cost a little, but way less than sending off heads, and having someone you never talked to etc. Do some work and send them back to you. Good luck is all I say.
Well, if Las Vegas had a decent machine shop/speed shop I sure would have them do the work. There is no good speed shop in Las Vegas period! :bang: I have lived here 17 years and there isn't one. Unfortunatley when it comes to this kind of work I have to ship thing's out. Livernois is a very good shop and better yet they have already done several 05 head's. I know what your saying but sometimes were not all lucky to have a good shop locally.
Old 6/2/05, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by StangFreak@June 2, 2005, 7:21 PM
If it wasn't for the fact that I'd have about two weeks down time, I'd go with Livernois as well. Since my car will be a daily driver I can't afford to let it sit apart for that long. I have connections with a Ford parts supplier so I'm going to see if I can get a set of 05/06 heads for a reasonable price and then send those to Livernois instead. I believe the castings are the same as the 5.4L F150 heads, just the hardware is different.
I know someone that is selling a brand new set of heads for the 05. PM me if your interested. He's up North. I'm not posting the info to avoid him getting a slew of phone calls. I'm curious as to what a set would cost from a parts supplier.