GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MMR now has a heat shield for their CAI

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/06, 12:47 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did a search for this and found nothing, so thought I'd post a new thread. MMR is now selling a stand-alone heat shield. I just got mine in the mail today. For those of you guys like me with the MMR intake, this is a great little addition... especially if you have one of the RKSport ram air hoods. I am pretty sure this heat shield would work with any aftermarket CAI with a conical filter. And the neat thing is they sell them seperately for those of you who bought CAI's (like the one from MMR) that didn't come with a heat shield. The shield is $50 and is made of black fiberglass.
Old 2/1/06, 12:49 AM
FR500 Member

Here is a pic of the one I got in the mail today. The quality looks great. Just wish I had my car so I could install it.
Old 2/3/06, 09:41 AM
FR500 Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bump.gif[/img]

Just wanted to bump this back to the top in case anyone else with the MMR intake (or another intake that didn't come with a heat shield) was interested in getting a heat shield. This one is $50, and should add 2-3 HP. The quality is top notch and it looks pretty sweet too. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/3/06, 11:05 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mother &^@#%#@%#^%@

I have been looking for a stand alone for months... even was thinking about fabbing my own.....

Really needed/wanted it..... till about two days ago [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

Thanks for the info though IAN

(hey by the way - the meet-up with you guys for the Sept Birmingham meet sounds like it will work. Might entail me and Runfox hitting the road a bit earlier than expected but it will be pretty sweet rolling into Birmingham 'in force'....... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] )
Old 2/3/06, 11:51 AM
FR500 Member

Dave, I have been looking for one for a while now too... just happened to check the MMR site and see they had one now. You have the JLT CAI though, right? Does that one come with a shield?

And I'm real glad to hear we might all get to meet up before Birmingham. We might have to leave a little earlier on this side of 'bama too... but definitely will be worth it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Once you guys figure out what time you want to actually meet in Montgomery, and where, let me know by PM and I'll start working on getting the LA, TX and MS people together.
Old 2/3/06, 12:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acadian @ February 3, 2006, 11:54 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You have the JLT CAI though, right? Does that one come with a shield?
[/b][/quote]

I have the JLT II CAI, it comes with shield, but its just a plate of plastic to separate the exhaust manifold heat away from the filter. I like the looks of this MMR shield, since it wraps around and also seems to form a seal where the hood meets the shield.

I'm not that ambitious at the moment, but I'd be curious to know if this will fit the JLT, and more precisely a JLT II w/ a Jet TBS spacer.
Old 2/3/06, 04:26 PM
FR500 Member

I just looked as some pics of the JLT and compared them to the MMR CAI. From what it looks like, the MMR shield should fit the JLT CAI. The only difference I can see is the MMR tube angles back towards the rear while the JLT angles to the front. But as long as both tubes end in the same spot (which it appears that they do) then the angle should not be a factor. You can even see in the first pic I posted that the tube and the heat shield are not perpendicular. The worst that could happen is that you could have a small gap between the JLT tube and the heat shield... which you could easily fix with some round foam insulation placed around the edge of the heat shield opening that the tube goes into. I definitely say order the thing. I'm 99.9% sure it'll work, or at least you can make it work very easily.
Old 2/3/06, 06:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acadian @ February 3, 2006, 6:29 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I just looked as some pics of the JLT and compared them to the MMR CAI. From what it looks like, the MMR shield should fit the JLT CAI. The only difference I can see is the MMR tube angles back towards the rear while the JLT angles to the front. But as long as both tubes end in the same spot (which it appears that they do) then the angle should not be a factor. You can even see in the first pic I posted that the tube and the heat shield are not perpendicular. The worst that could happen is that you could have a small gap between the JLT tube and the heat shield... which you could easily fix with some round foam insulation placed around the edge of the heat shield opening that the tube goes into. I definitely say order the thing. I'm 99.9% sure it'll work, or at least you can make it work very easily.
[/b][/quote]

It does look like it will fit. Whoever is first with a JLT to order one, let us know. I spent my allowance already on the Saleen headlights.
Old 2/3/06, 06:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A word of caution! I ordered the mmr high flow intake tube when it was first released and put it on my car to see how it fit. I thought it was terrible and I asked for a refund. They said that since I had installed it on the car they considered it used and would not refund my money. Needless to say I was not happy since I didn't even start up the car. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

I would like to get a heat shield for my JLT but after that experience if it doesn't fit I think you are S.O.L.! If someone buys one for their JLT and it fits, please let me know.
Old 2/3/06, 09:14 PM
FR500 Member

Rich, just curious... but why didn't you like the MMR tube? Was it because the outside was rough?
Old 2/3/06, 09:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

I wasn't happy with how it fit from the throttle body to the tube. The rubber didn't seem to line up correctly and the clamps sort of chewed into the rubber.
Old 2/3/06, 09:53 PM
FR500 Member

I think I know what you mean. I got mine to fit though and it hasn't chewed in at all since I've had it. That's been months now. Maybe you got a defective part. Did you talk to Mark personally at MMR? He should let you return the part. It's not like it was custom or anything like that. Did you end up selling it?
Old 2/4/06, 03:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acadian @ February 3, 2006, 10:56 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I think I know what you mean. I got mine to fit though and it hasn't chewed in at all since I've had it. That's been months now. Maybe you got a defective part. Did you talk to Mark personally at MMR? He should let you return the part. It's not like it was custom or anything like that. Did you end up selling it?
[/b][/quote]

It's sitting in a box here at the house. I wish someone would buy it.
Old 2/4/06, 08:17 PM
FR500 Member

Someone should definitely buy that kit from you. It will fit with just a little persuasion. And the performance is at the top of the CAI list with a gain of 25-30HP. I am very pleased with it. Hopefully posting that you are selling it here will get it sold. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/4/06, 11:59 PM
GT Member

Can someone help me with viewing the attached thumbnail(s). I can view them at work, but when searching from home I can't see them. Could someone propose a solution?
Old 2/5/06, 11:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well if anyone is interested it's yours for $150 + shipping.
Old 2/6/06, 08:18 AM
FR500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GRAYPNY @ February 5, 2006, 12:46 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Well if anyone is interested it's yours for $150 + shipping.
[/b][/quote]

$150 for 25-30HP (and an added little growl) is about the best deal around. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Somebody better jump on this. I would buy that from you in a second if I didn't already have it.
Old 2/6/06, 07:24 PM
Bullitt Member

when i get my tax refund im gonna buy the heat sheild for my jlt2, if it doesnt fit ill just trim it to fit. either way its better than what it comes with
Old 2/7/06, 08:34 AM
FR500 Member

Good idea, ren. Then you JLT guys will know if it fits too. I don't see why it wouldn't.