GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Manual transmition fluid - which one?

Search this Thread

Old 6/21/08, 05:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using Royal Purple Synchromax with no problems and it seem to shift better.
Old 6/21/08, 05:18 PM
Cobra Member

I changed my factory fill in my manual trans today (about 34k miles) with RedLine D4 ATF. My initial reaction after driving around a few neighborhoods is WOW. The shifting action (slider) felt smoother and syncro engagement sure feels more positive.

I used a one gallon plastic jug filled with 4 qts of the D4 and a Stalube plastic handpump I got at NAPA. Put in about 3.2 qts as manual specifies (rather than worrying whether the car was level or not and filling to the plug as the owner manual suggests), after jacking the car up around all four corner to what looked like level, I measured the fill level first before draining and then refilled to that level with the D4.

Last edited by RadBOSS; 6/21/08 at 05:23 PM.
Old 7/1/08, 06:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by seabiscuit
We know the trans have fill and drain plug but rear differential do not have.
how is rear diff. drained?
Old 7/1/08, 11:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by nonsensez9
how is rear diff. drained?
You have to take off the differential cover to drain. Then you can buy for example Ford Racing new aluminum cover which has fill and drain plug on it.
Old 7/1/08, 11:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by seabiscuit
You have to take off the differential cover to drain. Then you can buy for example Ford Racing new aluminum cover which has fill and drain plug on it.
bleh Does it pretty much spill out all over the place? Do you have to get a gasket and how tight does it have to be fastened back down again?

Last edited by nonsensez9; 7/1/08 at 11:59 PM.
Old 7/2/08, 08:16 AM
GT Member

I have never used a gasket when putting a rear diff cover on. I just use silicone and I have never had a leak.
Old 7/2/08, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Where do you guys buy Redline? I could always use my Google-fu, but that won't always net me the best price, so save your flaming.
Old 7/2/08, 06:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by gkaufman

You need thread sealant and Loctite for the plugs.
is blue loctite the right product for threadlock/sealer?
Old 7/3/08, 09:24 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
never been a believer in mechanic in a can type claims, but after reading a lot about royal purple, figured it couldnt hurt: I kinda burned my second gear synchro after the second trip to the dragstrip- trying to powershift on the revlimiter wasnt a good idea, especially since it ran faster by shifting at 4500-5000...anyway, I put up with it for a month or two, decided to try the other oil- still acts up a little, but vastly improved when I changed to the royal purple synchromax, as before changing the fluid it would hang up even at 4000 rpm- as a plus, the thing literally falls into third now, first impression after changing the oil was 'wow'- third was immediately better, second got better after driving a week or so. If I ever picked up another stick car, I'd switch tranny oil before romping on it, might just prevent damage in the first place. for my 2 cents, this stuff is definitely a decent product.
Old 7/3/08, 11:16 AM

On a related topic, anyone notice what they would consider an excessive vibration in the tranny prior to the fluid change, and did the new fluid help? I've got what I consider excess vibration that is worse when it is hot out in the trans. The dealer used a set of "chassis ears" to confirm the vibration was the trans and not the engine, but didn't feel is was bad enough to pull the transmission and just start replacing parts (I'm out of warranty), because he felt that they couldn't reliably find the problem (there are some good dealers out there). If a fluid change might help I'd give it a try.
Old 7/4/08, 12:26 AM
Bullitt Member

bleh Does it pretty much spill out all over the place? Do you have to get a gasket and how tight does it have to be fastened back down again?
Do not know how it spill - never did that, planing next spring, but there are 2 quarts to spill out
There is a gasket available on rockauto.com but Haynes book says just to apply 1/8 to 3/16 inch diameter bead of RTV sealant to the cover flange, routing the bead around the inner side of the bolt holes. Nothing about torque for bolts just "tighten the bolts securely". Also nothing about need of tread lock glue.

Last edited by seabiscuit; 7/4/08 at 12:28 AM.
Old 7/4/08, 08:52 PM
Cobra Member

is blue loctite the right product for threadlock/sealer?
I used blue on mine and next to the green, its the most common. Just make sure you degrease the male and femael threads well.
Old 7/4/08, 08:53 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Pwny
Where do you guys buy Redline? I could always use my Google-fu, but that won't always net me the best price, so save your flaming.
Might try Jegs or Summit. I ended buying mine direct.
Old 7/8/08, 10:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

tackled the diff. oil job tonite. there was much swearing and rejoicing. The rear diff cover is a pig to pry off...especially if the last person to put it on used two rings of silicone sealant $%^#$%. And to answer my earlier question... it does spill out all over the place #$%$#%^. Use a big catch pan. And then get one twice as big. Cleaning the old sealant off is not so bad, however, when I went to put the cover back on I run into issues with the panhard bar and messed up my nice beads of silicone. @#$#$%

Tip: practice putting the cover back in place before applying the silicone.

So anyway, cover on... just have to get the fill plug off and I'm set......just have to get the fill plug off and I'm set.... just...have...to get...fillplug....off...#$%^^#$

Question: how hard can it be to remove a bolt that's only fastened down to 22 ft-lbs?
Answer: very hard if it was put on with RED LOCTITE @#$^*%$*.

Pouring oil in was not a simple chore either. Requires some tubing and more patience. And for first timers - you will probably spill some - so get an extra quart

Anyways... so much for doing both diff and tranny in one night. I sure hope the tranny is easier.

Last edited by nonsensez9; 7/9/08 at 12:29 AM.
Old 7/9/08, 09:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RadBOSS
Might try Jegs or Summit. I ended buying mine direct.
Thank you sir
Old 7/9/08, 10:00 AM
GT Member

next time try using a simple hand pump to get the oil into the differential. Makes life alot easier.
Old 7/9/08, 08:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jasongt06
next time try using a simple hand pump to get the oil into the differential. Makes life alot easier.
For the transmission too!

PS - Jegs have the D4 ATF, not list in Summit, but worth a call.

Last edited by RadBOSS; 7/9/08 at 08:49 PM.
Old 7/9/08, 08:55 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Summit has D4 ATF, quart and gallon size. I ordered my trans and rear end fluid from them. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=RED%2D30504&N=700+0&a utoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=RED%2D30505&N=700+400 236+309632+4294864798+115&autoview=sku

Last edited by NJ3; 7/9/08 at 08:57 PM.
Old 7/9/08, 11:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Transmission fluid change is complete. Much easier than differential, imho. Little to no bad language. Bought a multi-purpose fluid & air pump that worked like a charm. That tip about checking the level first and then filling to the same level is good advice. One thing that I might add is that the first few times I measured were a bit inconsistent - probably due to the flexible "dip stick" I was using. Anyways, try to find something solid, or keep measuring until it gets fairly consistent. One thing that had me a bit concerned was that the drain plug went in a lot further than I had to take it out. I didn't tighten it as much as I otherwise would have for fear of damaging the threads. Hopefully the threadlock/sealant will do its job. No obvious leaks so far

Went out for a quick drive. I have the Saleen short shift adapter, which makes shifting a shade harder than stock. The Royal Purple seems to have made the gears slide into place a bit smoother. In particular 2 - 3. Might be my imagination, though. I will have to get more driving in...maybe a trip to the strip on the weekend if the weather cooperates.