GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MAK X-Pipe installed

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/05, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all, I just installed a MAK Offroad X-pipe last night, and everything appeared to install fine, and fit ok. Then, I started it up and noticed that the engine compartment is loud now, it almost seems as if there is something way wrong, perhaps a leak? Also, at around 1300-1700 RPM, my whole car begins to vibrate!? None of this happened before, so I would assume it was the xpipe install. If there is any part of metal touching metal on the underside, would this be enough to cause the shaking? or would it just cause rattling?

Any help would be great!
Old 6/28/05, 08:31 AM
GT Member

Its the big V-8....naw make sure everything is tight and any small leaks will be sealed by carbon build up. It will be a lot louder because you have an off-road...the X pipe will always be loud and more 'tingy' ....i like the sound of an H personally...but thats just my opinion
Old 6/28/05, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by Idrvadodgstr8us@June 28, 2005, 7:34 AM
Its the big V-8....naw make sure everything is tight and any small leaks will be sealed by carbon build up. It will be a lot louder because you have an off-road...the X pipe will always be loud and more 'tingy' ....i like the sound of an H personally...but thats just my opinion
Thanks for the input. I ended up calling ***** at MAK performance, and he told exactly what was wrong, and why. The crossmember bar bolt was barely hitting the pipe near the hanger, so I Bent it down about 1/4"-1/2", and the problem was fixed. the excessive loudness was all caused by the vibration of the pipe. I havent driven that much, but everything seems to be fine. Ill post a writeup on it later on.
Old 6/28/05, 01:00 PM
GT Member

awsome man...maybe a soundclip if we are lucky
Old 6/28/05, 01:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by 05mineralgrey@June 28, 2005, 1:31 PM
Thanks for the input. I ended up calling ***** at MAK performance, and he told exactly what was wrong, and why. The crossmember bar bolt was barely hitting the pipe near the hanger, so I Bent it down about 1/4"-1/2", and the problem was fixed. the excessive loudness was all caused by the vibration of the pipe. I havent driven that much, but everything seems to be fine. Ill post a writeup on it later on.

Are you talking about the hanger? Mine is doing the same thing. The bottom bolt on the right exhaust manifold also keeps coming loose. I am going to have to put some loctite on it.
Old 6/28/05, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by max2000jp@June 28, 2005, 12:04 PM
Are you talking about the hanger? Mine is doing the same thing. The bottom bolt on the right exhaust manifold also keeps coming loose. I am going to have to put some loctite on it.

I will try and put a soundclip of it sometime soon, not sure how, but I will figure it out.

Max2000jp, yes, I was talking about the hangar. On the drivers side, it was aweful, it was hitting a frame bolt right where it hangs in the rubber bracket. On the other side, it wasn't as bad at all, but still there. On that side, the actual metal hanger was hitting on the rubber bracket, So I took a pry bar and hammer, and bent it a little bit back towards the back of the car, this seemed to fix that problem, at least for now. The problem was that it hung so far into the bracket, that the arm was hitting every once in a while.

hope this helps
Old 6/28/05, 01:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by 05mineralgrey@June 28, 2005, 2:19 PM
I will try and put a soundclip of it sometime soon, not sure how, but I will figure it out.

Max2000jp, yes, I was talking about the hangar. On the drivers side, it was aweful, it was hitting a frame bolt right where it hangs in the rubber bracket. On the other side, it wasn't as bad at all, but still there. On that side, the actual metal hanger was hitting on the rubber bracket, So I took a pry bar and hammer, and bent it a little bit back towards the back of the car, this seemed to fix that problem, at least for now. The problem was that it hung so far into the bracket, that the arm was hitting every once in a while.

hope this helps
I did the same thing to the passenger side one, except I used 1/4 square tubing and bent it downwards. It worked well, but the bolt on the right side manifold keeps loosening. It causes a slight vibration/rattle when loose and it is leaking. I just went to Carquest and purchase threadlocker, so that should do it.
Old 6/28/05, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by max2000jp@June 28, 2005, 12:26 PM
I did the same thing to the passenger side one, except I used 1/4 square tubing and bent it downwards. It worked well, but the bolt on the right side manifold keeps loosening. It causes a slight vibration/rattle when loose and it is leaking. I just went to Carquest and purchase threadlocker, so that should do it.
I hope I do not have this problem, but I might, if so, I will do the same thing. They sure did not make the bolts on the manifold easy to get to on the right side, did they? I had a female dog of a time getting the far right bolt off the first time!