GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Magnet Technology Oil & Trans Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/05, 07:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I was reading the local paper and noticed a small article about these magnets that stick to your oil filter or your transmission pan to collect tiny metal particles. I brought up the website and read some more about it, and it sounds like it might be beneficial to slow or stop engine abrasion. Below is some more info from their website. I'm curious if anyone else has heard about this technology or used it. I would think that you would have to change your own oil to ensure the magnets get put back on the filter.

heres the link: http://www.filtermag.com/index.php

FilterMAG™ Magnetic Oil Filter System

Patented FilterMAG™ Oil Filter Magnet Technology Removes Steel Particles As Small As 2-Microns from Engine Oil.

In order for FilterMAG™ to remove minute steel particles from the oil system, its magnets must have enough energy to hold incredibly fine particles against the velocity of the oil flow. FilterMAG™'s patented design employs a focused magnetic force field, that amplifies its incredibly powerful Neodymium magnets, to generate the immense force needed to forcibly remove tiny particles below 20-micron from the oil flow; and retain increasingly smaller particles -- as small as 2-microns -- against the pressure of oil flow velocity.

FilterMAG™'s patented magnetic flux amplifier technology redirects the magnetic energy normally present on the far side of the magnet towards the inside of the filter canister. The flux amplifier has to be of a precise thickness to maximise the magnetic field. The circumference is adjusted to allow for manufacturing variances to result in a precise fit & alignment of the series of magnets to the filter canister. This focuses the maximum amount of magnetic energy within the oil flow. The successful and proven result is a masterpiece of automotive engineering.

In real life, FilterMAG™ works by simply placing it onto the outside of the filter housing where the magnetic force automatically snaps it into place. The ultra strong magnetic force starts to work — forcibly trapping unwanted particles "locked" against the inside walls of your traditional filter.
Old 3/13/05, 08:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The theory sounds like it might work; however I have no experience nor do I know anyone who has experience with this.

Hopefully someone on the site has more insight. I would be interested if it does truly work.
Old 3/13/05, 11:15 AM

I checked it out and here is my view. For about 10 bucks you can buy a magnetic oil pan drain pug to install in the oil pan and do the same job. For under 10 bucks you can get magnets in a rubber step that goes around the oil filter from JC Witney, I have those myself and have no idea if they work or not. There is a disk shaped magnet in the auto tranny pan of my Ram 1500 that does attract metal fillings. So the theory is a good one but there are many less expensive options IMHO
Old 3/13/05, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by Laga@March 13, 2005, 12:18 PM
I checked it out and here is my view. For about 10 bucks you can buy a magnetic oil pan drain pug to install in the oil pan and do the same job. For under 10 bucks you can get magnets in a rubber step that goes around the oil filter from JC Witney, I have those myself and have no idea if they work or not. There is a disk shaped magnet in the auto tranny pan of my Ram 1500 that does attract metal fillings. So the theory is a good one but there are many less expensive options IMHO

Every auto trannied vehicle that we have ever had in my family, has either already had a magnet or had one put in the oil pan by my dad, my brother or myself. With respect to automatic transmissions, these magnet do an excellent job of trapping metal particles. We always have to spend quite a bit of time with charcoal lighter fluid and a rag to get all these particles off the magnet. Trust me they work. I've never used them around the oil filter or on the oil pan, but I'm sure that they would work just as well.
Old 3/14/05, 12:52 PM
GT Member

I came across this topic in 'carbibles'. Apparently the guy used it and cut the filter open to check for the metal particles the magnet supposedly trapped. He attests to finding them and in the process cutting his hand. Check it out. He seems legit.

CarBibles