GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MagnaFlow Axlebacks arrived

Search this Thread

Old 1/15/05, 09:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed the axle backs last night and am very dissapointed about the quality of the product and especially the fit! Neither of the locating tab slot "cut outs" were in the correct place - both were so far off that I had to grind the tab off the pipe just to get them to fit. Then they are not lined up properly as one tip is almost rubbing the rear valance and the other has a 2" gap......I've always had good luck with Magnaflow and am very disappointed about the fit and finish of this exhaust system. I do like the sound (just enough for me) and the increased bass - but what a painful installation.

As far as I can tell the stock exhaust hangers are not adjustable for up/down movement - anyone run to this and how did you adjust? Guess I'm gonna have to do some bending.....
Old 1/15/05, 02:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=7558&st=0
Old 1/15/05, 06:32 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Start bending the hangers so you get them into the position you want.
Old 1/26/05, 05:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by HOTLAP@January 15, 2005, 10:44 AM
I installed the axle backs last night and am very dissapointed about the quality of the product and especially the fit! Neither of the locating tab slot "cut outs" were in the correct place - both were so far off that I had to grind the tab off the pipe just to get them to fit. Then they are not lined up properly as one tip is almost rubbing the rear valance and the other has a 2" gap......I've always had good luck with Magnaflow and am very disappointed about the fit and finish of this exhaust system. I do like the sound (just enough for me) and the increased bass - but what a painful installation.

As far as I can tell the stock exhaust hangers are not adjustable for up/down movement - anyone run to this and how did you adjust? Guess I'm gonna have to do some bending.....
\
If you had followed the forums here you would know that the early Magnaflow systems had the slot in the wrong place because Ford changed them. You should have put another slot in the muffler and not ground off the tab. These forums are a great source of information on the 05s and reading them first can save anyone loads of money and no wasted time. Read first for a week or two Then order. You will be glad you did !!
Old 1/26/05, 05:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Mongoose+January 26, 2005, 6:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mongoose @ January 26, 2005, 6:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-HOTLAP@January 15, 2005, 10:44 AM

\
If you had followed the forums here you would know that the early Magnaflow systems had the slot in the wrong place because Ford changed them. You should have put another slot in the muffler and not ground off the tab. These forums are a great source of information on the 05s and reading them first can save anyone loads of money and no wasted time. Read first for a week or two Then order. You will be glad you did !!
[/b][/quote]

I hear ya mongoose - and generally I'm pretty good about doing the research 1st - but a fit of MOD FEVER came over me (that and a couple of particularly good tasting microbrews) and I was off to the races......
Old 1/26/05, 05:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I remember Magnaflow awhile ago saying they were aware of this problem and had resolved it Guess not!
Old 1/26/05, 07:02 PM
Cobra R Member

I'll bet he got one of the older systems that were still on the shelf.
Old 1/26/05, 07:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by HOTLAP+January 26, 2005, 6:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HOTLAP @ January 26, 2005, 6:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Mongoose@January 26, 2005, 6:21 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-HOTLAP
@January 15, 2005, 10:44 AM

\
I hear ya mongoose - and generally I'm pretty good about doing the research 1st - but a fit of MOD FEVER came over me (that and a couple of particularly good tasting microbrews) and I was off to the races......
[/b][/quote]
Hee Hee I hear that. Been there a time or two on E bay.
Old 1/27/05, 07:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

as far as the tab on the pipes goes, my bassanis did not have a notch at all for the tab. however, they did hang right and look awesome.

Old 1/27/05, 09:17 AM
GT Member

Hey just so you all know, we did change the system, you must have gotten an old one off of the shelf.

I think Ford set a new record for changing the exhaust system in the shortest period of time into a new model year with this one..... :bang:

Thanks for your support-

Brent
Magnaflow Performance

:usa:
Old 1/27/05, 11:09 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by ZERO@January 27, 2005, 9:00 AM
as far as the tab on the pipes goes, my bassanis did not have a notch at all for the tab. however, they did hang right and look awesome.

Brent glad to hear that Magnaflow is aware of the issue - perhaps you guys should recall the older units still on the shelf and replace with the updated ones? That way no one else will have to deal with this issue - or at least send updated instructions - telling folks how to remedy. You're products have always been top shelf and you certainly don't want bad feelings due to this issue.

Cheers - Brad
Old 1/28/05, 09:45 AM

I installed a Magnaflow After-Axle kit on an '05 at my shop, and had no problems what so ever. There have been a few parts we had problems with being early production, but I am kinda suprised we had no problems with the magnaflows based on this thread! Ours was a retty early peice. Hope you can get it worked out!

Anyway, for anyone interested, here is a video of our project '05 with Magnaflow Axle-Back, JBA Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers and H-pipe. See what you think:

http://www.sheehyperformance.com/modules/g...%21/2005_EX.mov

We are actually going to be putting a few different mufflers on the car, since it's so easy, to see what sounds best! If you guys are interested, I can post those video's when they are done also.