GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Magnacharger/whipple

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/06, 07:47 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Magnacharger/whipple

What do you guy's think, it's about that time. I think I already know what everybody will say but can I have your opinions why please.

What does everybody think about this "root's" style kit
Old 12/5/06, 07:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
If you ask me, the Magnacharger looks bada$$ but the roots technology seems really dated and inefficient compared to the new twinscrews. Even the Roush blower is very limited mechanically compared to the TS. I'd go with the Whipple, although personnally I'm looking at either a centrifugal like Paxton or maybe a turbo- the new turbo kits are incredible if you have the cash to spend.
Old 12/5/06, 08:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a guy on another forum that is selling a brand new Kenne Bell very cheap. If you are really interested in supercharging it’s a great deal. I don’t want to tread on any toes here if you are interested PM me and I give you the information.

Earl
Old 12/5/06, 08:14 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
There is a guy on another forum that is selling a brand new Kenne Bell very cheap. If you are really interested in supercharging it’s a great deal. I don’t want to tread on any toes here if you are interested PM me and I give you the information.

Earl
PM sent
Old 12/5/06, 09:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
A friend of mine has the Magnason and even though it is a roots style, one thing about it is it start producing boost as low as 1200 rpm as where alot of the other chargers don't until 2500 to 3k (pretty **** loud too, no hiding the fact you are S/C'd when on the gas). Other then that, I don't know all the technical stuff between TS, Roots and Centrifugal.

<shrug>
Old 12/6/06, 09:09 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by GPStang06
A friend of mine has the Magnason and even though it is a roots style, one thing about it is it start producing boost as low as 1200 rpm as where alot of the other chargers don't until 2500 to 3k (pretty **** loud too, no hiding the fact you are S/C'd when on the gas). Other then that, I don't know all the technical stuff between TS, Roots and Centrifugal.

<shrug>
As far as the boost kicking in at 1200 rpm's, that's what I don't want for a daily driver. I have heard a couple vid's of the magnacharger and I love how loud it is, sound's like the whipple. Anybody know what rpm's the boost kick's in on other superchargers
Old 12/6/06, 10:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2800-3k on my Roushcharger
Old 12/6/06, 10:32 AM
3rd Times A Charm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005sonicgt
As far as the boost kicking in at 1200 rpm's, that's what I don't want for a daily driver. I have heard a couple vid's of the magnacharger and I love how loud it is, sound's like the whipple. Anybody know what rpm's the boost kick's in on other superchargers
Get a twin screw, you can stay out of boost as long as you want. You can really manage your boost levels with the throttle.

You can hit full boost right off of idle if you want, or you can cruise around town just as if you were still stock!

I absolutely love mine.

I can't see why anyone would want to go with a Roots style. Another thing about the Magnussen is that it has those extra pulleys and there seems to be more room for mechanical errors within the blower itself. Also, the Magnussen is an Eaton, so your basically buying a blower that was used on stock cobras, and t-bird supercoupes IIRC. It's obviously not the same blower, but the same manufacture.
Old 12/6/06, 10:59 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by S197 GT
Get a twin screw, you can stay out of boost as long as you want. You can really manage your boost levels with the throttle.

You can hit full boost right off of idle if you want, or you can cruise around town just as if you were still stock!

I absolutely love mine.

I can't see why anyone would want to go with a Roots style. Another thing about the Magnussen is that it has those extra pulleys and there seems to be more room for mechanical errors within the blower itself. Also, the Magnussen is an Eaton, so your basically buying a blower that was used on stock cobras, and t-bird supercoupes IIRC. It's obviously not the same blower, but the same manufacture.
I am really thinking about getting the whipple being as Adam is going to give me a deal of the liftime on it but, I still can't get the vortech out of my mind.

Does anybody know when the boost kick's in on the vortech and paxton centrifugal S/C
Old 12/6/06, 12:10 PM
Cobra Member

You wont see full boost until almost redline on a centri. blower
Old 12/6/06, 12:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Right around 3500rpm for the Paxton. It then proceeds to pull like a mother up till you shut it off at the rev limiter.
Old 12/6/06, 12:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Saleen twin screw supercharger. Boost is available immeadiately but it also has a built in by pass valve that vents of the boost unless your engine is under a load or you are at wide open throttle. When you are tooling around at a normal pace there is no boost but when you jump on it the boost is there instantly like magic. I would go with a twin screw set up since the compressed air is discharged at a lower temperature and it is a more efficient set up.
Old 12/6/06, 03:14 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by mustang_lurkers
I have the Saleen twin screw supercharger. Boost is available immeadiately but it also has a built in by pass valve that vents of the boost unless your engine is under a load or you are at wide open throttle. When you are tooling around at a normal pace there is no boost but when you jump on it the boost is there instantly like magic. I would go with a twin screw set up since the compressed air is discharged at a lower temperature and it is a more efficient set up.

Yep, you hit the nail on the head.

Did you know that the Kenne Bell 2.6L is the most effecient blower available right now. Same boost levels as comparable TS's with a bigger pulley (less belt slip) and lower RPM's.
Old 12/6/06, 03:45 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

What kind of MPG are you S/C guy's getting.
Old 12/6/06, 04:46 PM
Cobra Member

If you drive it without getting into boost, you will see about the same mpg numbers you saw stock...But the whole point of getting a blower is so you can drive it like you stole it - So Im predicting low mpg numbers for you
Old 12/6/06, 05:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SlamMan02
If you drive it without getting into boost, you will see about the same mpg numbers you saw stock...But the whole point of getting a blower is so you can drive it like you stole it - So Im predicting low mpg numbers for you

And me........
Old 12/6/06, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr

Earl
PM Sent

Thanks
Old 12/6/06, 06:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tom281
And me........
Yea but even when you were stock you'd only see above 12mpg on a GOOD day
Old 12/6/06, 07:05 PM
Cobra Member

What site is a dealer for the magnacharger? Is magnacharger.com the best place?
Old 12/6/06, 07:07 PM
Cobra Member

Don't waste your money on a roots, like others have said, its old technology and not as efficent.

Originally Posted by tom281
If you ask me, the Magnacharger looks bada$$ but the roots technology seems really dated and inefficient compared to the new twinscrews. Even the Roush blower is very limited mechanically compared to the TS. I'd go with the Whipple, although personnally I'm looking at either a centrifugal like Paxton or maybe a turbo- the new turbo kits are incredible if you have the cash to spend.