GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

To lower or not to lower?

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/06, 06:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To lower or not to lower?

I keep going back and forth on the lowering issue. I like the Eibach pro kit, but basically if I do it, it will just be for looks. I don't really drive to
the limit where I need the improved handling. My concerns are as follows:

1. Will this adversly affect my ride quality? Some say yes, some say no.
2. Do I really need a new panhard bar and caster/camber plates with an inch and a half drop? Some say yes, some say no
3. What are other pros and cons I am not considering?

I know this topic has been discussed before, but anything anyone wants to add concerning the matter would be great.
Old 9/20/06, 06:16 PM
Cobra Member

IMO, lowering is a right of passage. You get looks and performance at once. That's bang for the buck and if you get big rims, you will have a killer look.

1. It will affect ride quality, but if you have some meaty tires on your rims it will kind of balance out.
2.I don't have a panhard or caster/camber plates. So I guess that answers that question. So cars need them, just get the car aligned ASAP after you do it.
3. No cons IMO.
Old 9/20/06, 06:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
No Clue Pro's = you feel good about what you spent $ on
Con's You wonder why you spent that much doing what you just did ? give it some time reseach , think it over some more and then decide.
Like me trying to find different tires, and I may have to go to a different rim. 1400.00 puse 2000.00 at least for rims I only wanted better tracktion in the rain. Good luck though there is a ton of info here its just finding it !
Old 9/20/06, 07:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sts767
I keep going back and forth on the lowering issue. I like the Eibach pro kit, but basically if I do it, it will just be for looks. I don't really drive to
the limit where I need the improved handling. My concerns are as follows:

1. Will this adversly affect my ride quality? Some say yes, some say no.

Adversly? Most likely not will it effect ride qaulity Yes but nothing that cannot be controlled with a set of Tockioc D-Specs

2. Do I really need a new panhard bar and caster/camber plates with an inch and a half drop? Some say yes, some say no

Some cars need the panhard bar some do not. I myself did need it since the axle moved almost 3/4" to the left. CC Plaste No simply get the camber bolts for about 20.00
3. What are other pros and cons I am not considering?

Pros it will improve the looks and handling. Cons it sost moeny and you need to be aware of large speed bumps and dips in the road curbs and such when parking steep driveways etc

I know this topic has been discussed before, but anything anyone wants to add concerning the matter would be great.
Answers are in the QUOTE above

One other thing that lots of people do not know about. When and if you do lower the car, I would suggest you trim the very top **** off the rear bumpsstop otherwise it can bottom out and ride on teh frame area.

Richard
Old 9/21/06, 05:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the thougths, keep them coming.
Old 9/21/06, 07:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Eibach Pro's here as well. The rear of my car shifted 3/4" as well, so an adjustable panhard bar was necessary. You may or may not notice a shift unless you put wider rear tires on. Even going to a 275 tire in the back with lowering springs will show whether the car shifted. I've had my springs on the car for well over a year. Since Late December of 05, I've had the Nitto 555's on there and to this day there are no unusual wear patterns on the front tires. I have not had the alignment checked so if it's out of spec, I don't know how far.
Old 9/21/06, 08:10 AM
Bullitt Member

If I put the pro kit on how necesary is it to change out the shocks? Will it work with the stock ones or will that cause a harsh ride?

Thanks
Old 9/21/06, 08:46 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sts767
If I put the pro kit on how necesary is it to change out the shocks? Will it work with the stock ones or will that cause a harsh ride?

Thanks
I know many have done it that way but the ones that i have spoken with persoanlly say the ride is terrible. Besides your better off saving all the money for the springs,struts all at once why pay or do labor twice. On the back it really is not a big deal as far as labor but on the front the entire strut will have to be removed again and then you will have to get it aligned again. Do it once and be done wth it.

Richard