GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Loss of Power off the line

Search this Thread

Old 10/13/08, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loss of Power off the line

This weekend I noticed a little loss of power when coming off the line or even from shifting into second. It seems to be bogging until I reach about 2500 RPMs or so. It will do it in all gears if the RPM's are down. Once RPM's get above 2500, it runs great. Mod's have been on the car for about 6 months. I reinstalled the tune from the SCT XCall II and it didn't make a difference. Car in manual tranny. Does anyone have any where that I can get specs for the throttle position sensor? Or any other ideas. I know it's hard to diagnose without knowing everything but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks

O-ya, check engine light is not on.

Last edited by LeeMo; 10/13/08 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10/13/08, 03:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeMo
This weekend I noticed a little loss of power when coming off the line or even from shifting into second. It seems to be bogging until I reach about 2500 RPMs or so. It will do it in all gears if the RPM's are down. Once RPM's get above 2500, it runs great. Mod's have been on the car for about 6 months. I reinstalled the tune from the SCT XCall II and it didn't make a difference. Car in manual tranny. Does anyone have any where that I can get specs for the throttle position sensor? Or any other ideas. I know it's hard to diagnose without knowing everything but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks

O-ya, check engine light is not on.

Hi Lee,
Welcome to the forum. This may sound like a stupid question but you didn't address it in your post. When you get on it off of the line is your TCS in the off position? If it is "ON" and detects wheel spin it will throw you on your nose!! Been there and done that.
Scott
Old 10/13/08, 04:49 PM

Scott,
I always turn it off. Wish it could've been that easy. One thing that has come to light is that my wife told me she put 87 octane in it. It's tuned for 93. Not quite sure if that would make it that sluggish but I will to for a long drive tomorrow then top it off.

Another thing that is new is a squeak from one of the pullies. I think it's the water pump under drive. Thank you for the suggestion. Lee
Old 10/13/08, 05:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Running 87 on a 93 tune could cause the car to pull timing out, therefore pulling away power and acceleration. With a tune set for 93, the timing is advanced for better performance, but if the fuel isn't there and the knock sensors detect knocking, bam there goes your power.
Old 10/13/08, 05:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
Running 87 on a 93 tune could cause the car to pull timing out, therefore pulling away power and acceleration. With a tune set for 93, the timing is advanced for better performance, but if the fuel isn't there and the knock sensors detect knocking, bam there goes your power.

Ohh yeah...I have to agree with Tom. Putting 87 octane in a car tuned to 93 can cause the issues you are having. Just take it easy on the throttle and run a tank or two of 93 octane back thru her and I bet you problem will be history!!!!!!!!
Scott
Old 10/13/08, 06:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

If your tuner has a tune for 87 in it, you should change the tune to that one and run through that tank of gas.
Old 10/13/08, 06:22 PM

Tom, we think alike. I read your first post, went outside and re-tuned to stock. Check engine light came on, but I know what that's from. Thanks a million for that, and that make total sense. I didn't know about the 87 octane until I looked at the receipt this morning. Wife made an honest mistake cause she hates to even put 91 Oct in it when there isn't anything else available. Thanks again, I will keep you posted. Lee
Old 10/13/08, 06:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Good deal, let us know how it goes. By the way, off-topic but how do you like the Stainless Works headers?
Old 10/13/08, 06:39 PM

Love them! They were a good fit and power increase (along w/removing the cats and adding the matching x pipe) was a big increase. I'm not sure what I get more compliments from, the sound from the exhaust or the looks of the car. Thanks again, Lee
Old 10/14/08, 06:13 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
suprised you're not getting detonation running 87 on a 91/93 tune. Do you hear a bad rattle coming from the engine on hard acceleration?
Old 10/14/08, 11:54 AM

No, there's no rattle. I very familiar with that. I used to race boats. I've returned the tune to 87, but it's still a dog until it gets to 25-3000 rpm's. Then it takes off. I'm headed to Ford in a little bit. I'll let you know what they think. Thanks, Lee
Old 10/14/08, 12:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by LeeMo
Tom, we think alike. I read your first post, went outside and re-tuned to stock. Check engine light came on, but I know what that's from. Thanks a million for that, and that make total sense. I didn't know about the 87 octane until I looked at the receipt this morning. Wife made an honest mistake cause she hates to even put 91 Oct in it when there isn't anything else available. Thanks again, I will keep you posted. Lee
You re-tuned to stock and not an 87 tune? You may be running lean with the C&L CAI and stock tune.
Old 10/14/08, 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I had the same problem with Doug's 93 race tune for my diablosport predator. He had it set way too lean in the 2k - 4k WOT table. I knocked it back a few notches and all seems good. I don't know why he has it set like that? One would think that you'd want more fuel going in at higher RPM's not less. I'll be installing my Autometer gauges (including my Air/Fuel) and I'll be able to see how she's running now. I'm pretty sure I can still knock mine back a couple more notches. It sounds like you're experiencing the same problem.
Old 10/15/08, 02:49 PM

Here's the lastest. I put a new throttle body on it from a friends 05, ran the same on the 93 tune. I returned the tune to stock, and took it to my buddy at Ford. Nothing was found. All the fuel has been removed and 93 octane has been put in. From what my buddy at Ford told me that sometimes tunes will "learn bad habits" and could continue to get worse.

My buddy that own's MIP Motorsports is supposed to email me my tune so I can reload it in my XCal to see if the tune "went bad". Has anyone ever heard of a tune going bad? Thanks for everyone's comments. Lee
Old 10/16/08, 09:22 AM
Bullitt Member

i think you'd be fine if you have all 93 in the tank now and the 93 tune's back on. problem should be gone.
Old 10/18/08, 01:45 PM

Power seems to be back to normal. So in the end; was it the tune or crappy fuel. Not sure, the wife knows to pay closer attention to fuel though. Thanks everyone for there comments and suggestions. Lee
Old 10/20/08, 10:59 AM

I have a similiar problem. Mine seems to be with the tune. Here is what I have noticed.
I have a steeda CAI. When I run the 93 octane performance tune that came with the CAI, it seems to do what you mentioned. I notice it mostly when shifting from 1st to 2nd. I'll hold it wide open throttle, and the car just doesn't go. It acts like I am at quarter throttle. Then all of a sudden, it will just throw me back in the seat and take off.

I also have a $50 bama chips race tune. While it is a great tune at lower RPMs, I seem to have no High RPM power with this tune. It will however put you back in the seat at only 1/4 throttle in the lower RPM range.

The symptoms you describe only happen to me with that one certain tune.
Old 10/20/08, 01:50 PM

Do you always get fuel at the same station? The more I talk to Ford guys, the more I am leaning towards poor fuel. I wish I would have trouble shot the tune and removed the fuel at different times. But your symptoms are exactly what I was experiencing. How is it when you put it 5th? What kind of tuner do you have?
Old 10/21/08, 07:53 AM

5th seems to be fine, it is hard to notice in 5th anyways, because you don't get that put you in your seat feeling. I do not fill up at the same station, but it would be hard to think it was the fuel, when I can swap the tune out multiple times on the same tank, and it only occurs with the canned steeda tune. It is there 93 Octane performance tune from steeda. I bought it from Americanmuscle.com and it came with the CAI and an Xcal3 tuner.