Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I like these from American Racing:
Attached Thumbnails Long Tube Headers.....Have questions-amr_cats.jpg  
Old 8/9/06, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RandyB
I like these from American Racing:
The one thing I don't like about those ARH LTs is the finish. The welds just don't look as clean as some of the others. Yet they are in the same price range as the Kooks or Stainless Works.
Old 8/9/06, 11:39 AM
Bullitt Member

For those who have Long Tubes, did you get a custom tune? Currently I have a 93 Octane C&L tune from Doug at Bamachips.

Does anyone have LT's with the catted bassani x-pipe?
Old 8/9/06, 02:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Rondosa
Ya, JBA long tubes aren't 'emissions legal' therefore, they are classified as off-road. that's what the JBA website for the headers say...who says any long tubes are on road though? the only reason some are considered that way, I THINK, are because they are mated to catted mid pipes, and JBA's are built by JBA's with their off road H pipe. If you mate the JBA LTs with any catted X or H, you're good I think.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, this is what I know so far. I do know, from personal experience, that if you're cruising with someone who has LTs and an OR mid pipe, make sure you're in front...man those fumes...

K
I have JBA's on my car, with their catted X-pipe. No issue with the fumes, I don't notice an increase in smoke or smell from them.

I would recommend them for their customer service. I had a problem on initial install with the flange not being perfectly level and therefore leaking, and they sent a new set no charge. After them being on for a few months, one of the cat's substrate came loose and started banging around, and again they sent a new x-pipe, no charge. The rep I spoke to at JBA (coincidentally, the same guy both times, though I can't remember his name. Derek, I think) was extremely concerned and helpful, and made the process very easy. I like that they are willing to stand behind their product like that, and not give you a mountain of grief over the replacement process.

Now, my driver's side header has a stamped plate welded onto one of the tubes with a C.A.R.B. number. I thought that parts only got one of those if they are California emissions legal...? Am I incorrect here?

Price? I'd have to dig up the invoice, but it was less than or roughly equal to that one you're considering. I'll have to check.

(Mods or power-posters: Can I post the name of the company I bought them from here? Please PM me yes or no, and if yes I'll put it here. Thanks.)

Lastly, gains. My peak HP went up +10, but over most of the RPM band it was closer to +20 gain. The peak TQ went up +31, consistent across the power band.
Old 8/11/06, 03:16 AM

No one has mentioned JBA, they were the first company I had seen that had a set out for the '05s. Video of the cars with them installed sound awesome.

Bueller??
I have the JBA's and this is a long story.

I will start off by saying that I still believe that the JBA Headers have the best design for efficiency. The primaries are at least 12" longer than any of their competitors from the ones I have seen personally such as the Kooks/JDM, Hookers, and Stainlessworks. They have slipfit collectors which go together and come appart easily. On the negative side they are made of 409 stainless which uncoated will turn an ugly brown.

If I were to purchase headers again today after what I went through I would probably go with JDM. Jim and Jim Jr. are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

I purchased the JBA Longtubes with the Titanium Ceramic coating last summer along with the Catted H-Pipe. First of all the H-Pipe was sent with the wrong hardware and instructions for a set of mufflers. Not that I needed the instructions but wrong just the same.

I ended up installing them just before the car was stored for winter.and when I did the collectors interfered with the framerail on the passenger side and the steering shaft on the drivers side. I called JBA and was told by Alex that a few of the early ones slipped through the door which didn't exactly meet specifications. I was required to pay for the new headers PLUS SHIPPING and wouuld get a credit when the old set was returned. A new set of headers was sent I installed them and fittment was good.

In the spring I took the car out of storage and went to get my 4.10's installed. On the way I began to get a rattle which I felt came from the exhaust. While the car was on the lift we tried to find where the rattle was originating and we determined that it was from the passenger side exhaust just aft of the cats.

This is what was found lodged in the exhaust pipe where the overaxle hump is. I had to use a shopvac to remove it and another hour to remove the smaller fragments lodged in the mufflers.http://media.vidilife.com/image/2005...72/599320L.JPG

I called and spoke to Greg the sales manager and described my problem to him. He told me that since JBA didn't produce the catalytic converter itself they would send out a replacement catalytic converter only. This meant that I would need to go to a muffler shop and have the H-Pipe cut and the new cat welded in.

I explained to him that this was unacceptable and that it would be posted on every mustang forum known to man which is when they decided that it was in everyones best interest that they be nice and send a complete H-Pipe.

I also told him that in the meantime I would punch out the cats to avoid any down time which was acceptable to him.

The new H-Pipe was sent out to me and before opening the box I knew from the part# that it was an offroad pipe sent. I opened the box and I was correct.

I called back Alex and he was very apologetic and told me that they were out of stock due to the cats being backordered. I was told a new set would be sent out as soon as the cats arrived.

4 weeks later I call them back and they ship out another catted H-Pipe. I open the box and find the cats ate installed upside down on the H-Pipe with the heat shields facing the ground instead of the underside of the car.

This time I speak to Greg the sales manager again who says something to the effect of "You've had so much trouble why don't you just box everything up and we'll refund your money!!!!"

At this point I freak and tell him I didn't go through this whole ordeal just to send everything back for a lousy H-Pipe.

So we detail the sequence of events so that he could make changes so that something like this doesn't reoccur.

The H-Pipe is again on backorder so I wait for another one.

2 weeks ago another H-Pipe arrives I open the box and guess what It's built upside down again !!!

I gave up on them building this thing correctly so I went to my cousins machine shop and milled off the spotwelds that held the heat shield to the cats and rewelded them in the proper orientation.

If this story isn't enough to scare anyone away from JBA I don't know what is.
Old 8/11/06, 04:04 AM

Ya, JBA long tubes aren't 'emissions legal' therefore, they are classified as off-road. that's what the JBA website for the headers say...who says any long tubes are on road though? the only reason some are considered that way, I THINK, are because they are mated to catted mid pipes, and JBA's are built by JBA's with their off road H pipe. If you mate the JBA LTs with any catted X or H, you're good I think.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, this is what I know so far. I do know, from personal experience, that if you're cruising with someone who has LTs and an OR mid pipe, make sure you're in front...man those fumes...

K
There is not one longtube header on the market that is CARB legal. This is due to the forward O2 sensors being located much further back than the stock location and not allowing them to warm up fast enough. The JBA shorties are the only 50 state legal headers on the market for the S197.

There is a carb badge on the JBA Longtubes but its numbers are all XXXXXX out.

The JBA longtubes are available with both an offroad H-Pipe and a catted H-Pipe which doesn't mean that it'll pass an emissions warmup test as mentioned above. The width of the JBA collectors which is almost touching the framerails makes it impossible to use them with anyone elses midpipe.

I hope this clears things up a little.
Old 8/11/06, 07:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Ok,

How about the SLP LT headers and x pipe.

I can get these through IM Performance for 1029.00 and free shipping.

LT's

http://www.lmperformance.com/5836/73.html

x pipe they recommend

http://www.lmperformance.com/5835/73.html

Has anyone used them? Also how would they sound with my flowmasters?

I was almost to order the kooks, but this is a savings of almost 1/3 over the kooks.
Old 8/11/06, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by thump_rrr
If this story isn't enough to scare anyone away from JBA I don't know what is.
Sorry to read about your problems with JBA. I've been "anti-JBA" for over a year now... this is yet another example of why.
Old 8/11/06, 03:37 PM
Cobra R Member

thanks thumprrrr, No way JBA.

My state uses a computer check on the car's computer port to check for CEL's. Not sure what else they check on.

Is anyone else from NC and can tell me about the inspections on cars newer than 1996?
Old 8/11/06, 05:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Thump_rrr and don_w, two people whose opinions on this forum I respect highly, I am truly sorry to hear of your bad experiences with JBA. Perhaps I am too patient, then, but I still believe in their product, and had nothing but good customer service from them.

Yes, I had two problems, one a manufacturing defect (non-flush flange) and like thump_rrr a rattling cat, but they were nothing but helpful at JBA, only asked me to put a CC number down for RMA purposes. I was never charged for a second set of headers or H-pipe either time.

Granted no company is perfect, and you two had valid bad experiences, but I would like to put a positive vote in for JBA. The power gains and improved engine sound tone make up for the travails of installation.

- B.W.
Old 8/11/06, 05:24 PM
FR500 Member

I like my JBA's too, but I'll reserve total judgement after I inspect the "rattle" package
Old 8/11/06, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by SixtySix
I like my JBA's too, but I'll reserve total judgement after I inspect the "rattle" package
For the record, I have no experience with the headers personally. They may be fine for all I know.

But, my issues are with the company itself. Think of it this way. I've spent well over $20,000 on my car in the past year. If JBA hadn't been such dipsticks to me last summer, they probably would have been able to get a major chunk of that money. Instead, they pissed away thousands and thousands of dollars because they wouldn't do right right thing on a $145 issue. So, I chose a shop 80 miles away versus having the work done locally here in San Diego about 10 miles from my house. I hope they invested that $145 wisely. hehe
Old 8/11/06, 05:57 PM

I'm very happy with the system itself. It performs really well and goes together like a dream. The sound is totally awesome.

It's the total ineptitude that gets me. After the wrong H-Pipe was sent the first time and the incorrectly built one was sent the second time the person at the other end of the phone should have walked back to production and taken a set to quality control or the person who has the drawings for the thing and made sure it was built correctly. He should have then taken it to packaging and had it boxed and then to shipping to have it sent.

That may have taken 1/2 hour but there wouldn't be this post about the way they screwed up 3 times on 1 part.
Old 8/12/06, 09:55 AM
Cobra R Member

SO far I have heard nothing bad on the SLP's......
Old 8/15/06, 04:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Never mind...Just saw the other thread...
Old 8/15/06, 08:42 PM
gpp
GT Member

traffic142,i have a set of kooks long tubes and kats on my 99 lightning and have had no problem with the inspection.i live in sanford and we have to pass the strictest test they have.
Old 8/16/06, 07:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Thanks gpp,

I have been asking around. As long as you are CEL free and have all your O2 sensors hooked up and working......you are fine. Oh a tip for us in NC. If you fail, show DMV a receipt for atleast 200 bucks on "repairs" and they will waiver you. Of course you have to do it again the next year.

What kind of HP did you get from your LT's and what other mods have you done.