GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Long Tube Headers.....Have questions

Search this Thread

Old 8/5/06, 01:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Long Tube Headers.....Have questions

I am thinking of adding long tube headers for increased performance.

1. What kind of hp increase?

2. Do you have to change your mid pipe?

3. Name brands? I have found BBk and JDM, others??

4. Do you like them.

I am finding out that the JDM/Kooks need a new mid pipe set up and initial cost is 895.00. The BBK are long tube and cost 499.00 but cannot find out if they need a new mid pipe set up. They look good and chrome. OR reading more, I found that Stainless works are worth looking into. More clearance and no need to change motor mounts (what the heck is that about). Still looking at dropping 1400.00 on this set up. Someone please tell me there is HP to gain by this! I know brenspeed is selling this product now, nice package....has anyone tried the Kooks LT's

How is the Fit and finish???

Also, can you go off road and get worried by the man failing your car on inspections every year.

thanks
Old 8/5/06, 02:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by traffic142
I am thinking of adding long tube headers for increased performance.

1. What kind of hp increase?

2. Do you have to change your mid pipe?

3. Name brands? I have found BBk and JDM, others??

4. Do you like them.

I am finding out that the JDM/Kooks need a new mid pipe set up and initial cost is 895.00. The BBK are long tube and cost 499.00 but cannot find out if they need a new mid pipe set up. They look good and chrome.

thanks
1: you should see a 15+hp increase, plus the same if not more torque, mostly low end torque and you WILL feel it

2: you don't necessarily have to change your midpipe, I cut mine and used couplers to mate the two and it works. pretty much a free off road h pipe

3:Mine is Hooker, the supercomp long tubes with Jet Hot coating. they look pretty sharp and they were actually somewhat easy to install, just gotta have the right tools

4:

my headers were something like 600-650 dollars, i don't remember exactly. Be sure to get new gaskets when you install them!!!!!!

here are some pictures and videos from the install (all the pictures are mislabled... oops)

http://andyman82.com/files/header%20install/

also, the pictures of how the midpipe is connected was temporary until i could make something better
Old 8/6/06, 02:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Ok after more research, I am about to pull the trigger on a set of JDM/Kooks from Brenspeed. 1469.99 total. SOMEONE please stop me. I hate to drop 1.5K on a set of headers, but I cannot figure out why not. I mean all the shorties only give you 3-5 hp.....that won't be noticed. and most of the decent ones cost 6 to 700 bucks. I estimate, double that for triple the HP/Torque gains.

Unless someone can come up with some new info to sell me on some shorties....
Old 8/6/06, 04:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Kooks products are awesome. Brenspeed rocks. Order them already and be done with it
Old 8/6/06, 06:05 PM
Bullitt Member

um hellooooo

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 8/6/06, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok after more research, I am about to pull the trigger on a set of JDM/Kooks from Brenspeed. 1469.99 total. SOMEONE please stop me. I hate to drop 1.5K on a set of headers, but I cannot figure out why not. I mean all the shorties only give you 3-5 hp.....that won't be noticed. and most of the decent ones cost 6 to 700 bucks. I estimate, double that for triple the HP/Torque gains.

Unless someone can come up with some new info to sell me on some shorties....
What size primaries are you looking to get? Unless you plan on a blower someday, I wouldn't recommend 1-3/4". I suspect you'd feel a torque loss. If you're going to stay N/A, stick with 1-5/8". BTW, Kooks and Stainless Works would be the brands I would be looking at if I was shopping right now.

Also, I assume the $1470 includes an X-pipe, along with hi-flow cats. If not, the price might be steep. Shop around... D'Agostino Racing, Lethal Performance, JDM, etc.
Old 8/6/06, 07:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Atomic I feel you but, that is only a header kit. no x pipe/cats included.

What can I use to make the headers to the h pipe/cats.

That is the price of the kooks headers alone.
Old 8/6/06, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is the price of the kooks headers alone.
WTF??? $1470 for just the headers??? STOP!!

You can get the LTs and catted X for less than that. Look here as a start: http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php...1214_1217_1218
Old 8/6/06, 07:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

iw anted to know would you have to retune for LT headers if you use a catted mid-pipe or would it be ok
Old 8/6/06, 07:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I think what Traffic142 is looking at from Brenspeed is the headers, X with cats, gaskets, hardware, all delivered for $1470. Here: http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/
Old 8/6/06, 08:07 PM
Cobra R Member

thats correct, looking for a complete package. Brenspeed does offer good stuff.

I looked at Stainless Works and JDM (same basice Kooks set up) S/W is 1363.00 (plus shipping) and JDM is 1473.00 not including shipping., I am assuming that you don't need to retune from Bama.

Don, I follow what you are talking about. but bren offers a full set up, gaskets and all.

MM&FF did a review of the Kooks last year and showed good 15 to 16 rwhp gain.

I would like to S/C but realistically, coming up with 5 grand is not fesiable. I may later do Bama's cam swap and retune.
Old 8/8/06, 06:12 AM
Cobra R Member

How about Heddman Headers or Hookers?
Old 8/8/06, 09:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

MAC is also making a full length header they call Race Headers now, under $500.00 (e-bay) ceramic coated. I have what they call long tube which are actually more like a 3/4 length header. The collector is where the turn would be for long tubes. I can't complain about them. They also make a high flow cated prochamber to fit their headers.
Old 8/8/06, 12:22 PM
Cobra R Member

I was reading the install on the Kooks, you got to move the transmount, starter, left motor mount, steering rod....Darn, do they all have that?

Looks like I am going looking for a buddy with a lift to use.

I have looked at Hedman and Hooker and SLP. None offer a full package (LT's and catted x pipe). Most offer Offroad or I guess you could hunt and pec your way.

So far it is down to Kooks (brenspeed) and Stainless works. SW is about 100 bucks cheaper, but I feel if I have any problem at all, Bren will be there for me.

Your thoughts??
Old 8/8/06, 01:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Can't say enough good abouts Brent's service. His shipping is great also. I have spoke to him on the phone several times and e-mailed, I have never felt like he was put out to help me, even with the stupidest of questions.
Old 8/8/06, 03:14 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

No one has mentioned JBA, they were the first company I had seen that had a set out for the '05s. Video of the cars with them installed sound awesome.

Bueller??
Old 8/8/06, 04:18 PM
Cobra R Member

JBA's in the magazines say they are off road....no mention of making them optional?

Can you help beuler out?
Old 8/8/06, 04:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

JBA: rpmoutlet.com has the best price that I've seen. H-pipe can be had with or without cats
Old 8/8/06, 05:40 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

JBA's in the magazines say they are off road....no mention of making them optional?

Can you help beuler out?
Ya, JBA long tubes aren't 'emissions legal' therefore, they are classified as off-road. that's what the JBA website for the headers say...who says any long tubes are on road though? the only reason some are considered that way, I THINK, are because they are mated to catted mid pipes, and JBA's are built by JBA's with their off road H pipe. If you mate the JBA LTs with any catted X or H, you're good I think.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, this is what I know so far. I do know, from personal experience, that if you're cruising with someone who has LTs and an OR mid pipe, make sure you're in front...man those fumes...

K
Old 8/8/06, 06:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I was reading the install on the Kooks, you got to move the transmount, starter, left motor mount, steering rod....Darn, do they all have that?

Looks like I am going looking for a buddy with a lift to use.

I have looked at Hedman and Hooker and SLP. None offer a full package (LT's and catted x pipe). Most offer Offroad or I guess you could hunt and pec your way.

So far it is down to Kooks (brenspeed) and Stainless works. SW is about 100 bucks cheaper, but I feel if I have any problem at all, Bren will be there for me.

Your thoughts??
it's probably easier with jackstands because you can use a jack to life the engine a few inches and get alot more hand room.

Quick Reply: Long Tube Headers.....Have questions