GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Lidio/Alt. Auto/ One piece DRIVESHAFT!

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/05 | 11:24 AM
GT Member

How much is a CF driveshaft? Do you even know? I do and others on here have an idea. Do you know what it costs compared to an aluminum one? Get back to me when you know, then you can speak on the matter. Do you know what the capabilities are of the stock 2 piece? Do you know when it will break? I do and if you want to know, just ask...I'll be more than happy to share with you.

How much is a CF driveshaft?

Part No.: DS005

Price: $1,099.95

Do you even know?

yes

I do and others on here have an idea.
Ok, your point? widely known information chucko.

Do you know what it costs compared to an aluminum one?

$700.00 Range for aluminum.

$1,099.95 - ~$700 = around a $399.95 savings.

Get back to me when you know, then you can speak on the matter.

ok.

Do you know what the capabilities are of the stock 2 piece?

The stock two piece driveshaft was put in place to 1. reduce driveline vibration at a relatively low cost 2. To provide a simple solution to compensate for the many angles a driveshaft goes through on a given rough surface. (This becomes more apparent when you live in Michigan and you have to travel pot-hole ridden roads all the time). One of the major down sides to making a jump to a two-piece drive shaft is obviously the cost of the wear and tear on the additional parts and an inherent weakness if you are planning on making huge power.

Do you know when it will break?
The factory driveshaft is rated at an estimated 450-500rwhp.

I do and if you want to know, just ask...I'll be more than happy to share with you.

Could you do that? Because I was just wondering if I missed anything...... See this post did nothing to change my mind about how I feel about you and your knowledge of this car. I think you have more money than brains and it shows in this thread. Way to go on your 15 hp for over 1000 dollars! Thats roughly a third of the cost of a super charger for 10% of the horsepower!

Like in a previous thread....someone actually had the audacity to buy a throttle body spacer for 80 or 90 bucks then prove to everyone (by spending another 75+ on a dyno pull) that he gained 1 hp. I could sneeze and free up 1 hp. As I have stated in previous posts, I feel that a lot of these parts for the 2005 mustang are way over priced.

I live in the motor city. I know cars. My life is cars. Every male in my family has done something in regards to the automobile industry and I am no different. I have friends who drive old mustangs and I have friends with cars that will tear off the rear bumper. They all mod and what I have learned is you dont have to have the best of everything, you just have to have the right components. Why is it that my buddies car that cost $10,000 (including the price of the car) can beat my friends that cost $150,000? its because they know the correct components to make a car go fast, and dont buy everything on the market.

169 I think your a blithering tool...and I have already printed off this thread just to laugh about it with my friends. Have a good day.
Old 10/11/05 | 11:33 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Idrvadodgstr8us@October 11, 2005, 10:27 AM
someone actually had the audacity to buy a throttle body spacer for 80 or 90 bucks then prove to everyone (by spending another 75+ on a dyno pull) that he gained 1 hp. I could sneeze and free up 1 hp.
Hey, you forgot the 11 ft lbs of torque

:bang:
Old 10/11/05 | 11:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

nevermind... answered already
Old 10/11/05 | 02:06 PM

Atleast you searched for the answers. You should have done so before your initial post. Then again, I'm sure you already knew all the info you posted. Print away bro, I could care less what you or your friends think is funny. You, again, think you know the first thing about me. You don't! I bought this driveshaft for reason beyond thinking I would gain HP. I, from the beginning, was skeptical on gained hp. On the other hand, it's much lighter and the gains could only be seen at the track. It's like lighter wheels...don't think they will net you any hp either. I like how you know my knowledge level of this car.
I don't care what they say the rating is for the driveshaft. I'm no where near that rating and it didn't last for me. It's funny, I know a few other guys that have had the same issue. Why in the world are all these companies making aluminum and CF driveshafts?
It certainly isn't a throttle body or spacer. The TB or spacer are not relevant to this thread at all. Some guys did it, I didn't. If those guys want to spend their money on a TB or spacer, have at it. Why do you care. I'm not knocking them.
What is my hp right now? Where will it be in a few months? Seeing that you know me, you must know where I'm going or what I'm doing with my car. I just don't get you. You get into a thread with ridiculous comments. Keep them to yourself.b/c no one cares.
Besides the weight of the driveshaft, the weak point is the carrier bearing and how it's mounted. All it will take is one launch and hooking up hard to find out. That carrier bearing will then fall down, hitting the crossmember that lies below it. At the same time, your driveshaft, which has multiple angles, will be longer as the angle is removed. This will then push on the tranny, crack the bellhousing and dogears on the shortblock. So, you now have a driveshaft with a torn up carrier bearing, the mounting piece for the carrirer bearing torn up, the driveshaft itself rung and a shot shortblock and bellhousing. So, for me, spending the money on a good single piece driveshaft is well worth it. You offered nothing supportive in your reply. Go to some Honda forum and hack on those guys. It's not needed here.
Old 10/11/05 | 02:39 PM
GT Member

which honda forum would you suggest? considering the fact that I have never owned a car other than a Ford....and I currently own two mustangs that don't have an ounce of rice in them....maybe you can help me out with that....aside from that I know of more hondas locally that could put you to shame at any track. Speaking of which, i dont know your current horsepower or where you will be at in terms of it in a few months but i do know one thing..... it wont help your driving skills and you breaking out of the 12's

All of the comments you made about a 2 piece driveshaft are correct...that is if you are pushing 450-500hp....are you close to that now?...your mods suggest not.

All I was saying is all anyone needs to do is have a blower, lower C.A.'s and a good set of tires...this car would be sick...

btw....even if you were pushing 450-500 hp your stock hypereutectic aluminum pistons would have said goodbye long before your carrier bearing....just food for thought.

Go talk to your shop junkies so you have some more ammo for me next time...ive had more intelligent car discussions with kids that drive riced out contours
Old 10/11/05 | 02:45 PM
I talk to cones.

David with your ~ 315 RWHP you've already busted the rear Drive Shaft right???
Old 10/11/05 | 03:24 PM

Originally posted by softbatch@October 11, 2005, 2:48 PM
David with your ~ 315 RWHP you've already busted the rear Drive Shaft right???
Why yes, I did.

I8urstr8us,
I don't get your function. If your "all Ford" then what is your problem. That's the one thing about this website. Not everything is for everyone, but you don't see people knocking them for doing so-except you. By all means am I saying that everything that I've done was worth the money. To do over again, there are a couple things I wouldn't do again. I know now what works and what doesn't.
I could care less about some honda's. I like to watch all cars that are fast, regardless of make. I've been to some NOPI events as well as WFC. I appreciate the speed and skills required to do so. I wouldn't waste anyones time talking to them about your ignorance. Your problem is that you think you know everything. That makes you limited. I don't know everything...But I do know where to get the answers! It just seems like you're living in a box. I would tend to think that would limit your possibilities to learning something new. Then again, you already know everything, so what's the sense. How fast are you running in your 05? I mean, it seems like your running in the 11's N/A. If for some reason, you don't have an 05, let me know when you get one and I'll make a point to meet up with you at a NMRA or FFW event and we can go heads up. Then again, I'd enjoy racing whatever it is you attempt to drive. You sound like a keyboard racer. If you're ever in FL, let me know, I'd love to see you run at the track as fast as your mouth. I'll be sure to let you know what events I'll be traveling too, so you could attend. The first NMRA event is in Bradenton, FL next March, I believe. I'll be ready to run that event!
Old 10/11/05 | 08:34 PM
GT Member

ugh do i have to break down what you said sentence by sentence again?

where in my original statement was anything that concerned you 169?

and i quote....

"C.F. driveshaft is big money.... why not just buy a blower and a fake plastic hand to attach to your trunk that will wave bye to everyone else...?!?!?!

I personally feel it provides minimal gain for what it tampers with in terms of original engineering.... "

simply a statement...nothing more. I think, as a matter of fact, you my friend have the 'issue'.

Yes, i do have an 05....in fact the second one in Michigan next to the man himself, Bill Ford. It is torque spec'd and everything....in fact it was tracked every inch down the line...i have an inch and a half thick folder on everything about that car....and pictures of it on and off the truck.

Your not worth my time ... i dont have to drive very far to run a 12 second car with 10 grand in pointless bolt - ons.

I think you should come up to Michigan .... i must warn you though...you should have a cow pusher on the front of your car because your gonna be eating a lot of bumpers that get torn off the car.

I still think your a pocketbook racer....