GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

led 3rd brake light electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/07, 10:48 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
led 3rd brake light electrical problem

2 days ago I installed an APC led 3rd brake light. Works great, except after I turn the key off and/or lock/unlock or open/close the doors or trunk the diodes stays very dimmly lit, say 3-5% for about 30 minutes.

The following has been suggested:

1)Install a 6 ohm load equalizer to the 3rd brake light wiring...at the light. This will override the computer and make it "believe" the original light is still there.

2)A problem with a ground wire....I have installed a trunk release button and added a small additional trunk light (self grounding) and believe they are properly grounded. Not clear if the ground problem would be specific to the 3rd brake light, or if a faulty ground elsewhere would matter...???

3)I'm wondering if a delayed power feature is influencing all of this??

Any help will be appreciated!!
Old 2/23/07, 01:52 PM
Cobra R Member

I have the APC 3rd brake light and DO NOT have this issue. To me, it would seem that this would have been an issue before adding the light, because you are using the factory harness.

Not to sound stupid, but have you checked to see if it's your trunk light bulb that is "seeping" through the brake light lens. On my 2000, if the trunk was left slightly open, causing the trunk light to remain on, you could see it shining through the lens.

If this isn't it, I recommend putting back the factory 3rd brake light to see if it still does it. If not, the APC unit could be defective
Old 2/23/07, 02:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
I went down to my car (it's lunch time here in CA!) and tried to reproduce the problem as well, not happening here either.

I promised to put a VOM on the wiring to see if there is any residual voltage when the brakes are NOT being stepped on, I'll get back to you on that ASAP (when I get home).

Can you be more specific as to how you wired your additional trunk light? Maybe there is something there we can look at.
Old 2/23/07, 05:01 PM
GT Member

This is the 3rd time I've tried to post...thanks Art and Mike for the help.

It's not the "seeping problem" checked out the trunk with the back seat pulled forward..it was dark!

Also pulled the extra bulb and stock socket, no change, still glowing.

Can't be the APC LED unit...lights don't work w/out current, and after 30 minutes it stops glowing anyway. (The automatic "cutout" feature)

Really weird that it comes on whenever the doors/trunk are unlocked, key or remote, and keeps glowing after ignition is turned off.

Extra bulb is attached to a small bracket, self grounding, with a wire "spliced" into the white/with yellow stripe wire in the harness to the right that comes down through the trunk lid...sort of like you attach the trunk release button, but in the trunk area. instead of in the passenger compartment.

Ideas anyone???
Old 2/23/07, 05:08 PM
Cobra R Member

did you put back the original 3rd brake light? It's hard to tell from your post if you did or not
Old 2/23/07, 05:44 PM
GT Member

No Mike, did not. The LED is still in place, and continues to glow.... for 30 minutes!
Old 2/23/07, 05:58 PM
Cobra R Member

I'd recommend replacing the LED back with the stock housing/bulb. If it's still doing it, you can probably rule out the LED unit
Old 2/23/07, 06:27 PM
GT Member

Mike---I'm going to try that tonight, but according to a shop here that deals with LED replacements an LED will light up dimly with very, very little current, while a regular bulb will not. Thus their suggestion of a resistor. I know where your going with this, but again, it shuts down after 30 minutes when the car's override (my term) cuts in, as Art explained in a PM, and shuts down any lights that have been left on. That's why the trunk light goes out after 30 minutes if left open......which sort of puts us back to maybe the problem is with the extra trunk light, although I don't see how.
Old 2/23/07, 07:05 PM
Cobra R Member

sounds like the self grounding isnt working too me, if it does go out with stock light back in, I would definitely send back led light set up for a replacement. I bet its the L.E.D
Old 2/23/07, 08:57 PM
GT Member

OK, disconnected air horns, no change, tried stock light bulb, doesn't light up (not enough current anyway) disconnected extra trunk light again, no change, pulled wires from remote trunk switch, no change.......all grounds seem ok....so, maybe some strange reason LED stays on?? I will exchange it, or maybe just go with a resistor. Hate to do an exchange, and have the same problem....theory is, LED's are somehow getting enough power to dimly glow!
Old 2/24/07, 01:00 PM
GT Member

UPDATE:

Went to a local dealer, tried the light on a slightly used '07......and yes, it glowed! Light being exchanged on Monday!
Old 2/24/07, 01:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Blitz
UPDATE:

Went to a local dealer, tried the light on a slightly used '07......and yes, it glowed! Light being exchanged on Monday!
How did the dealer allow you to test it???

But, at least you found the problem.
Old 2/24/07, 01:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Bill,

I received mine today and did the lens swap. My APC light now has my OEM solid red lens on it. I installed it on the car and it looked great. After I covered the car and closed the garage door, I figured I'd better go back and check if it was glowing. Sure enough, IT WAS!!!!

The only thing I have changed on my car is the Webelectric Sequentials and you just ruled that out by testing it on another car. Did you order from LMPerformance? If so, let me know what they say when you talk to them. You can also tell them that someone else is having the some problem.

For those of you that have the APC light, please check again. It's got to be really dark for you to see it. I never started the car, but rather had my son press the brake pedal with it not running.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 2/24/07, 01:57 PM
Cobra R Member

I've NEVER seen mine do this, and I have the webelectric's as well.
Old 2/24/07, 02:28 PM
Bullitt Member

I went back to the garage after almost an hour and it was off. I wondered if it was the engaging the brake lights that was doing this or just any kind of electrical activity at all. The moment I opened the driver's door, it was glowing. I closed the door again and it kept glowing, even after the interior lights went off. I even tried locking the car with the fob and it stayed on. Bottom line, the glowing has nothing to do with hitting the brake lights. This really blows.
Old 2/24/07, 03:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by steevr
I went back to the garage after almost an hour and it was off. I wondered if it was the engaging the brake lights that was doing this or just any kind of electrical activity at all. The moment I opened the driver's door, it was glowing. I closed the door again and it kept glowing, even after the interior lights went off. I even tried locking the car with the fob and it stayed on. Bottom line, the glowing has nothing to do with hitting the brake lights. This really blows.
Glad to hear you did the stock lens swap...cool, isn't it. As for the glowing issue, I've never seen it either. I don't have sequentials but I have the third bulbs wired for signal and brake. If someone doesn't see me hit the brakes, they're blind.
Old 2/24/07, 08:18 PM
Bullitt Member

The light itself looks awesome. 16 LED's across and looks totally factory. Ford should have went with this setup from the beginning.
Old 2/24/07, 08:56 PM
Bullitt Member

I just sent an e-mail to APC's technical support. Hopefully they'll get to me with an answer soon.
Old 2/24/07, 09:27 PM
GT Member

Steevr--

How are ya, geez, here we are again months after our very long wait for delivery last summer

I agree, those that say this is not happening, check @ night. The fact you are experiencing this makes we wonder if it is "built in" I've talked to a shop here in L.A., and there is no danger of battetry drain...30 minutes with the LED's is nothing..they could stay on at this dim rate for days!

I got mine from NinoSport...good people and willing to exchange.

FYI, I have heard from several sources APC has gone out of business..Nino tried to contact, with no response.

Today, when we tested the unit on another car, almost walked away, because of bright sunlight, thinking it was my car only, but on closer inspection looking in from the side, could see the lights were dimly lit.

LED's will light up with very little current. Considering you too have the problem, I'm thinking I'll try a replacement, and if still a problem hopefully a 6 ohm, resistor will sove the problem.....but maybe it doesn't matter...a slightly lit 3rd brake might look kinda cool from behind.... but just doesn't seem right.
Old 2/24/07, 09:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
How did the dealer allow you to test it???

But, at least you found the problem.
Mike--I've gotten to know the service mgr..really cool guy who wanted to help...and mods do not bother him.

Quick Reply: led 3rd brake light electrical problem