GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

L/T Headers Effect on Exhaust Note

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/07, 09:03 PM
JGT
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L/T Headers Effect on Exhaust Note

Well, spring is on the way and I am starting to get the mod bug once again. And I am starting to seriously consider long tube headers. It seems like a lot of money for a measly 15 horses, but I am addicted to modding, so will probably do it anyway, especially if I get a nicer sound.

I am not interested in the X-pipe sound, so I know I want to go with an H-pipe, which pretty much means JBA is my brand of choice. They aren't 304 stainless steel like some of the others, but with the coating they should last plenty long, and I will probably just be getting a new Mustang down the road anyway, so they don't need to last forever. And keeping the cats is a must, I don't want it too loud.

I currently have a Mac catted Prochamber and Borla Stingers. This exhaust is at the limit of what I am able to handle in both exterior volume level and interior drone.

My questions are as follows (I realise the answers may not be easy, but any input at all is appreciated, especially if you have first hand experience with these combos):

(1) How exactly will a JBA L/T and catted H change my sound (assuming I keep the Stingers)? Will this make everything a lot louder and drone worse? I have heard differing opinions it seems. Some people claim the long tubes only make it deeper, some say it makes it much louder, I have heard of some people claiming LESS drone with long tubes. My fear is more exhaust flow = louder exhaust = more drone.

(2) If it were too loud for me and I switched to a quieter axle-back, like the GTAs, how would this sound compare to my current setup? By going to a more mellow axle-back, would I be losing some of the improved sound I gained by going with long tubes? In other words, will JBA LT/Catted H/GTAs sound no better than Stock Manifolds/Catted Prochamber/Stingers?

(3) Many people (including me) it seems have never been totally satisfied with the soud of the S197s (compared to previous generations of Mustang, including the S95s). Is getting long tubes a step in the right direction? Has anyone here that wished their car sounded like an 04 with Flows, installed some longtubes and then been suddenly satisfied? Does it make THAT big of a difference in the sound?
Old 2/19/07, 09:06 PM
Former Vendor

Long tubes are definetly a step in the right direction. I think that with the catted H and stingers, it won't be obnoxious, but there will be a little increase in noise/drone.

If you swapped out the axle-back as well for something a little bit more mellow, like you mentioned, you could probably find that sound you were looking for.

LT/Cats/Right Mufflers, and you'll be in good shape.

You're looking for a lower, less resonant tone, I assume?

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/20/07, 11:15 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by JGT
(1) How exactly will a JBA L/T and catted H change my sound (assuming I keep the Stingers)? Will this make everything a lot louder and drone worse? I have heard differing opinions it seems. Some people claim the long tubes only make it deeper, some say it makes it much louder, I have heard of some people claiming LESS drone with long tubes. My fear is more exhaust flow = louder exhaust = more drone.
I have that exact setup. It will make it loud as poop! The drone gets worse, but man does it sound badazz on the outside. I still have this setup, the drone doesn't bother ME much, the stereo can overcome it. But having a conversation in the car is tough. I may get a set of GTA's to quiet it down a bit.
Old 2/20/07, 09:27 PM
JGT
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
You're looking for a lower, less resonant tone, I assume?
A deeper and meaner sounding exhaust more reminiscent of the S95s would be great, but I am not sure I can handle much more drone than my current setup.

Originally Posted by SixtySix
I have that exact setup. It will make it loud as poop! The drone gets worse, but man does it sound badazz on the outside. I still have this setup, the drone doesn't bother ME much, the stereo can overcome it. But having a conversation in the car is tough. I may get a set of GTA's to quiet it down a bit.
So you had just the Borla Stingers and then later added the headers and H, and the drone got worse? I wonder if most of that extra drone was from the hi-flow H, as opposed to the headers...My drone did get worse after adding the Prochamber to the Stingers.

Whatever the case, this is what I feared, more drone and an even louder exhaust, although I am sure it does sound bad ***.

If you do get the GTAs, please post your results. My main concern now is getting the longtubes and catted H with the GTAs, and then ending up with a wimpier, higher pitched exhaust than I have now with just the catted Prochamber and Stingers. The extra 15 HP would definitely be nice, but sound is important to me as well and I can find other ways to pick up that 15 HP.

Anyone with GTAs and headers that can compare it to a more aggressive axleback without headers???
Old 2/21/07, 02:46 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by JGT
So you had just the Borla Stingers and then later added the headers and H, and the drone got worse?
Yup! It's real deep now too, but at the cost of even more drone.
Old 2/21/07, 05:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 779 Likes on 568 Posts
Hmmmmm I wonder what long tubes would sound like with stock mufflers
Old 2/21/07, 06:48 AM
Former Vendor

I personally love the sound of long tubes. They're not the problem. It's the choice of muffler that would cause the issues! If anyone needs any information about them, feel free to give me a shout.

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-5776
Old 2/21/07, 08:51 AM

I have JBA longtubes & off-road H-pipe with stock Ford mufflers and I think it sounds GREAT.

here's a link to a video my buddy uploded back when we first installed them. This video was from the initial startup:

http://media.putfile.com/Longtube-JB...-06-Mustang-GT

I love the stock mufflers because they aren't hurting power at all, and the car is still very quiet at cruising speeds. Even the grandma doesn't mind riding in the car on the interstate LOL
Old 2/21/07, 01:41 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the C&L intake, SCT2 93 octane tune (bamachips), bassani x-pipe with high flow cats, and JBA axle back mufflers. Sound is great, but I want more and am thinking about Long Tube headers also.

For those who have long tubes already, did you need to get additional adjustments to your tune, or will the standard intake upgraded tune work?
Old 2/21/07, 04:03 PM
JGT
V6 Member

You'll need to get a new tune with the longtubes.
Old 2/21/07, 04:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JGT

You sure do!
Scott
Old 2/22/07, 12:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JGT

Does it need to be a custom tune, or does anyone know if Doug over at BamaChips has any "canned" tunes that will work?
Old 2/22/07, 01:51 PM
Cobra Member

I'm not sure but I bet he has canned tunes. A lot of people have Long Tubes. And if not Im sure he could make you one with just your mod list.
Old 2/22/07, 03:20 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by TKEUofM
Ddoes anyone know if Doug over at BamaChips has any "canned" tunes that will work?
He sure does. He can adjust your tune for Longtubes and turn off your rear 02 sensors