GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

kind of slow here lately.any good racing stories

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/05, 03:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This happened in Germany (I LOVE the Autobahn!!!):

I wasn't driving the GT, but just my '04 Volvo S60 2.5T (210 hp, no tunes whatsoever). I was in the fast lane cruising at 250 km/h (155 mph), when I saw a pair of healdights flashing in my rearview mirror, closing in on me. I let him pass when I saw it was a '04 Porsche 911 Carrera S. The guy cut right in front of me and only then I realized he was actually trying to clear the lane too...: behind him was a German manic on a Suzuki Hayabusa bike, definitely doing 200 mph!!!

That was one of the best things I've seen on the Autobahn! I truly recommend it to anybody who's not only into the - quite boring - "traffic light drag racing", but also into VERY high speed driving!

I can't wait to take my '05 GT to Germany!

P.S.: has anybody tried to reach max. speed in a stock '05 GT? How fast did it get?
Old 4/13/05, 05:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Louie@April 13, 2005, 5:44 AM
This happened in Germany (I LOVE the Autobahn!!!):

I wasn't driving the GT, but just my '04 Volvo S60 2.5T (210 hp, no tunes whatsoever). I was in the fast lane cruising at 250 km/h (155 mph), when I saw a pair of healdights flashing in my rearview mirror, closing in on me. I let him pass when I saw it was a '04 Porsche 911 Carrera S. The guy cut right in front of me and only then I realized he was actually trying to clear the lane too...: behind him was a German manic on a Suzuki Hayabusa bike, definitely doing 200 mph!!!

That was one of the best things I've seen on the Autobahn! I truly recommend it to anybody who's not only into the - quite boring - "traffic light drag racing", but also into VERY high speed driving!

I can't wait to take my '05 GT to Germany!

P.S.: has anybody tried to reach max. speed in a stock '05 GT? How fast did it get?
Louie,
You will be disappointed if you try that in your Mustang because of the built-in speed limiter. You need to get a tuner (SCT or Diablosport Predator) to turn off the speed limiter.

The Boss Hog
Old 4/13/05, 06:04 AM
Cobra Member

BossHog,

I'm already looking for tuners in Europe. The problem I have is that Diablo and the like won't ship their products over here, so I might have to import everything I need myself, like I did with the car

In the mean time, I'm waiting to pick up my GT around the end of April, take it on the road, figure out what should be improved and then start ordering parts.
Old 4/13/05, 06:54 AM

Originally posted by Faber@April 13, 2005, 12:14 AM
Killed a new goat (GTO) on my way home today!

6.0 litre GTO, from a dead stop. we both hammered it and my little yellow 05 stang with my trusty 4.10 gears ran away from him steadily up to about 130 when we decided to chill out. I had about 8 car lengths on him by 3rd gear, and about 20 by the time we backed off.

he was a total jerk about it too! i gave him a thumbs up, and he flipped me off and flipped a quick turn off the road.

poor guy....

what happened with GTOs anyway, they were cool in the late 60's early 70's and now they are kinda ugly. but hey at least they are keeping the american muscle car alive..
6.0 litre GTO's are MUCH faster than that. No way any Stang is 20 car lengths up at 130. Dude, face it, the guy wasn't even racing you.
Old 4/13/05, 07:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Well it might be possible. I saw a GTO at the drag strip and every single run he couldn't get the tires to grip. He burned rubber down nearly half of the strip and never got a good time. If he pushed it at start, he could have bogged down and let the mustang go. But with an experienced driver, that extra 100 horses will kill a mustang. I think we already figured that out at the drag strip.
Old 4/13/05, 09:14 AM
FR500 Member

The GTO guy more than likely shut it down much earlier once he got smoked off the line. And an 05 stang WILL destroy a GTO off the line, no question about it, even with stock gears. Like most GM products, I'll bet you anything the final drive ratio is in the 2's on that car, coupled with the heavier weight makes it a dog on the line. It wakes up and pulls hard in 4th, where the Stang levels off, and that's where the stang gets beat.
Old 4/13/05, 10:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@April 13, 2005, 11:17 AM
The GTO guy more than likely shut it down much earlier once he got smoked off the line. And an 05 stang WILL destroy a GTO off the line, no question about it, even with stock gears. Like most GM products, I'll bet you anything the final drive ratio is in the 2's on that car, coupled with the heavier weight makes it a dog on the line. It wakes up and pulls hard in 4th, where the Stang levels off, and that's where the stang gets beat.

I agree that the Mustang will pull the GTO off the line, but they do have a 3.46 gear.

http://www.carsdirect.com/research/pontiac...5/base/features

The Boss Hog
Old 4/13/05, 10:23 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by sybidoc+April 13, 2005, 5:57 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sybidoc @ April 13, 2005, 5:57 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Faber@April 13, 2005, 12:14 AM

6.0 litre GTO, from a dead stop. we both hammered it and my little yellow 05 stang with my trusty 4.10 gears ran away from him steadily up to about 130 when we decided to chill out. I had about 8 car lengths on him by 3rd gear, and about 20 by the time we backed off.

he was a total jerk about it too! i gave him a thumbs up, and he flipped me off and flipped a quick turn off the road.

poor guy....

what happened with GTOs anyway, they were cool in the late 60's early 70's and now they are kinda ugly. but hey at least they are keeping the american muscle car alive..
6.0 litre GTO's are MUCH faster than that. No way any Stang is 20 car lengths up at 130. Dude, face it, the guy wasn't even racing you.
[/b][/quote]

the way he took off he definately WAS racing, and he definately got no joy off the line. I dont know wether or not he slowed down, but i do know that he definatley didnt like a mustang running away from him. I agree that the numbers say a GTO should walk a stang all day long, but that didnt happen here. all i can say is i was stoked to see the bitterness when he turned off.
Old 4/13/05, 10:41 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by The Boss Hog@April 13, 2005, 9:12 AM
I agree that the Mustang will pull the GTO off the line, but they do have a 3.46 gear.

http://www.carsdirect.com/research/pontiac...5/base/features

The Boss Hog
Well sunny beaches, I would've lost that bet
Old 4/13/05, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

most o5 mustangs with little a tune have about 350 hp and with gears you would beat a gto .
Old 4/13/05, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by Faber+April 13, 2005, 11:26 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Faber @ April 13, 2005, 11:26 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by sybidoc@April 13, 2005, 5:57 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Faber
@April 13, 2005, 12:14 AM

poor guy....

the way he took off he definately WAS racing, and he definately got no joy off the line. I dont know wether or not he slowed down, but i do know that he definatley didnt like a mustang running away from him. I agree that the numbers say a GTO should walk a stang all day long, but that didnt happen here. all i can say is i was stoked to see the bitterness when he turned off.
[/b][/quote]
Way to go, anything that embarasses that ugly POS, I like. I had a 68 GTO and loved it, was fast, good looking and had just brutal torque. Regardless of what the general says, that warmed over Holden won't ever be a true GTO.
Old 4/13/05, 08:44 PM
Cobra Member

I'll have some good dragstrip stories for you guys after this weekend for sure.

One night coming home I did have a guy in an ex-squad car Caprice try to run me. He spotted me in his mirror from about 1/2 mile away and slowed up to let me catch him, then it was on. I hammered it to the floor and pulled 2-3 lengths on him very quickly, then let off about 65mph or so. He flew by going at least 75. I don't know if I got the jump on him or if that car truely had no power down low, but by the time he was catching up I was going too fast for my liking on that street and backed out of it.